1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Iron Horse Warrior 3.0 vs Trek 6700 disc

Okay so I went from getting a suspension bike to a hardtail but trying to figure out which is a better deal. I will be doing DH but lots of trail riding also. The Trek is missing the front fork but in all reality the IH front fork I would probably replace anyways.......Here are the facts.....

2007 IH Warrior 3.0 (NEW) $450 shipped

Specifications
    Frame: DOUBLE BUTTED HARDTAIL FRAME, 1-1/8" ZERO STACK HEADTUBE, REPLACEABLE DERAILLEUR HANGER, INTERNATIONAL DISC BRAKE MOUNT
    Fork: MARZOCCHI MZ COMP, 100MM TRAVEL
    Rear Shock: N/A
    Front Derailleur: SHIMANO DEORE, 34.9 CLAMP
    Rear Derailleur: SHIMANO DEORE
    Shifters: SHIMANO DEORE RAPIDFIRE
    Brakes Levers: SHIMANO ALIVIO
    Brakes: SHIMANO DEORE MECHANICAL DISC, W/ 6" ROTOR
    Chain: SHIMANO HG-73
    Crankset: FSA DYNA DRIVE
    Cassette: SRAM PG-950, 11/34T, 9 SPEED
    Pedals: ALLOY PLATFORM
    Bottom Bracket: FSA POWER DRIVE, 73MM
    Headset: ZERO STACK
    Saddle: WTB PURE V SPORT
    Seat Post: ALLOY MICRO ADJUST
    Handlebar: ALLOY RISERBAR, 31.8MM CLAMP
    Grips: N/A
    Stem: RITCHEY V2
    Tires: WTB WEIRWOLF 2.1
    Wheelset: WTB SX-24 W/ EYELETS w/14/15G DB STAINLESS BLACK SPOKES
    Weight: 31.7 lbs.
    Color: Brown Satin, Black Satin

2006 Trek 6700 (never seen a trail) Front fork not included, $350 maybe less

Barely used 2006 Trek 6700 SLR
    size 17.5
    Missing fork
    Disc brakes
    excellent components, wheels
    GREAT DEAL! I bought it for $700 and barely used the bike, need to sell cause I am moving

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Forks are expensive. Probably around 150-200 for the level of fork the 6700 SLR comes with.

Go for the IH, its a good bike and less headaches.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuodo
    Forks are expensive. Probably around 150-200 for the level of fork the 6700 SLR comes with.

Go for the IH, its a good bike and less headaches.
    Yeah but a nice fork for $200 if I can get the Trek for $300 is only $50 more than the new IH and I have a solid bike right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yes. The 6700 is a nice bike. I rode the 08' and liked it. I don't know much about the frame geometry on the Iron Horse though.

mtbr member
    Just curious as to why the Trek is missing it's fork?

Also, neither of these is constructed for downhill use. If that is what you want to do you will trash them in no time and would be better served saving your money for something a bit more durable.
    All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best...William of Ockham

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jpick915
    Just curious as to why the Trek is missing it's fork?

Also, neither of these is constructed for downhill use. If that is what you want to do you will trash them in no time and would be better served saving your money for something a bit more durable.
    I'm not sure where the path will take me, never done it. I'm going to try it all. When you say durabel are you talking about the frame or components? If its the components then i'm okay with that, I will just upgrade them as they break. If it's the frame then might have to step it up.