1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Iron Horse Maverick Team???????

Is this bike on par with the other entry level bikes from makers like Trek, Giant, Specialized?
    Does the IH accept most common upgraded components?
    Why is the IH so cheap?

mtbr member
    The Maverick is probably every bit as good as the entry level bikes from Giant, Trek, ect. The IH Maverick uses pretty standard components so you could upgrade it very easily. A lot of big online/chain stores sell them so they can afford to sell them cheaper than what a typical bike store could.

Got Trails?
    That is basically what I did, however I bought the Warrior Team-se & modified every component on it to my personal preference. It still weights a little more then I would like but that is because I still have the heavy wheels on it. As far as I am concerned my warrior is far from a entry level bike now but, when I bought the bike it was.
    Best bike purchase I could have made, picked my frame up for $499 & spent another $150-$200 upgrading it & now it is a great bike that takes a beating & keeps on running.

MTB Lurker
    I bought a warrior team se for $279 (complete, out the door). I'll argee it's a bit heavy, but It's my first bike, I couldn't pass it up.