1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Iron Horse Azure Team

I am checking out the Iron Horse Azure Team Men's xc Dual -suspension Mt bike listed here: http://www.twoknobbytires.com/Iron-H...B001395ORG.htm

I would like to know the year of the bike, the weight, and for what height range the 15'' on that model is suited. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Misses elastomer shocks
    That bike is newer than 2005 since mine has a straight top tube. It is a great riding XC rig.

I have the '05 expert in a small (15"). I'm 5'6" and I'm about as tall a person as I would put on it. I should probably be on the medium.

They aren't terribly light. Stock, mine weighed in just shy of 28lbs. Yours should be slightly lighter. Heavily upgraded (XTR and crossmax slr wheels) it is just about 25 1/4 lbs with pedals.

Here are a couple of things to be aware of...

short travel (only 90mm in the rear) - not a big deal, just be aware of it before you buy
    VERY tight clearence for the rear tire - no big knobbies. this was addressed in 2006 or 7 but still tight

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    thanks!

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Can't go wrong with the Azure..Great xc bike..I've been riding an 07 model for awhile now, pretty much bullit proof, looks like a 08-09 model, I'd be worried about the front suspension 80mm ground clearance as the older ones have been running 100mm upfront..

IMHO the price is a little steep, check www.rscycle.com for a better deal

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Look at the top pivot mount where welded to post tube, I've had two frames crack here.
    Hopefully the team frame is of better quality, good luck.

Sorry didn't realize these pics were this bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Regardless of vendor, you should ask about the warranty. Iron Horse used to have a five year warranty, and were quite good about honoring it. IH went into bankruptcy earlier this year. There is now a new owner, but it is not at all clear whether or not those old IH frames will be covered under warranty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Didn't realize it was a new bike, just keep an eye out for this area if you buy, two grand for a no warranty bike isn't a deal. The 2010s are beginning to roll in and you should be able to score a deal on an 09 if not now, soon. Save yourself the headache, Look at other brands too, I can't be the only one with this crack issue.