1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Introduction and a few questions

My name is Adam Argue, im 22, and was big into BMX when I was in school. Over the last three years I have moved from Michigan to kansas City to Oklahoma City and then to tulsa and now I am back in michigan. Along the way I got ride of my bikes and got into building and driving RC trucks. Now I am back in michigan and my friends that I used to race with are into MTB's.

I am getting married at the end of next month and my future wife is in oklahoma finishing up some wedding stuff and will be gone for 2 months so I thought it would be a good time to look into getting a bike and get back in shape.

I dont know much about MTB's but I sam learning. When I was 10 I spent nights at my friends tewring down our bikes and re greasing them instead of video games and tv. That being said It would be great to have a bike I can build so I can learn more about them.

Most of our money is tied up in the wedding I have been looking at bikesdirect.com. they have awesome deals. I thought they would get me riding fast and I could upgrade on.

My must haves right now are:
    Hardtail 29er with disc breaks and double wall Rims.

I dont plan on jumping much. This will be a every day rider. I will use it on the trails with my buddies and also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Re: Introduction and a few questions

Dammit I taped the submit button on my phone. Sorry for such a long post. but im also wanting to ride it on the street to and from work.

Any suggestion on what to look for or stay away from would be great. Again sorry for the long post and for any grammatical errors. I am trying to type this up as fast as I can on my phone at work.

Thanks a lot guys,
    Adam Argue

Fat-tired Roadie
    Stay away from a bike you can't test ride ahead of time. Buy local. Doesn't sound like you've had a MTB as an adult.

For trail riding purposes, fit is very important. Make some phone calls and look through your local Craig's List. Or, wtf, buy retail - what's your budget? Most people post with budgets that don't get much retail, but you know what they say about "assume."
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

My price cap is probably 400. I know thats not much but id like to get out as soon as I can and ride. I planned on going to my lbs to test a few out and see what size frame I need. I have not had a mtb as a adult ive only ever rode one once or twice and those where rentals.

mtbr member
    $400 for a HT 29er with discs? You are probably going to need to by used if you dont want a cheap walmart bike. CL, Ebay, Pinkbike, etc.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Frame sizes on bicycles are as consistent as women's dress sizes. In other words, riding a 19" frame in one brand doesn't mean you ride that size in another.

MTB technology is changing fast. I bet you can do a bike from the early 2000s with name-brand disc brakes and a real fork.

At least pick up the phone and call your local shops. Every city I've lived in has supported at least one shop specializing in used.

My brother did a catalog bike as his commuter. It's not a terrible option, but I think getting to ride a few bikes, something you can do at a used shop, is a real value-added.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Ive been looking around a little on Craigslist im just a little worried about their condition. You never know how someone used or abused their bike.

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Do you have any friends that ride bikes? If not, maybe you can hook up with your local bike shop... meet up with someone on craigslist there and have the bike mechanic go through the bike to see if it needs anything.
    Make sure though that you will fit that specific bike, before you go and have someone meet you there... ie. You are 5'4" and should not be looking for a L-XL size bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

One of my buddies from school is building a bike. The only things I don't know much about is the disc breaks and the shifting mechanisms. Is there anything specific I need to look for when shopping for a used bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Your friends who used to race with you and are now into mountain biking can probably help you look for locally available bikes (LBS or craigslist) or those available online. Do they live close to you?
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

The closest ones is about a 90 minute drive

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
    The closest ones is about a 90 minute drive

You could search craigslist for used bikes and ask your friend if he can go with you to help you assess a bike you can find. There's a good chance he can tell you if you're getting a good deal or not.
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The BikeDirect Gravity Point 1 is 419 delivered. It has good geo similar to Trek's. The Shimano Alivio/Deore drive train components are 9 speed and acceptable. Put on a REI Novara/Jagwire full length housing and cable and they will become very good.
    Novara Shift Cable Kit at REI.com
    The Suntour fork is bike path but upgradeable for 200 from Nick at Suntour.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes

How tall are you and what is your actual inseam(not pants).

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

I like the gravity. I have heard just as much positive as negative so i wasn't quite sure what to think about it. I like the looks of it. I am 5'11" I don't know what my inseam is off the top of my head.

mtbr member
    If you do end up going the used route use this used bike checklist:
    Noob Guide to Buying a used MTB

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I like the gravity. I have heard just as much positive as negative so i wasn't quite sure what to think about it. I like the looks of it. I am 5'11" I don't know what my inseam is off the top of my head.

I'm just under 5'11" with a 32 inseam. I can ride a large and I can also make a medium work. Right between two sizes.
    Used bikes I would go for are a Trek X-Cal 2012 or Scott Scale Elite 2012. Both have a good light dual air Reba fork.

The Trek 2014 X-Cal8 is a decent entry bike. On sale at 25% off it is about $800.
    Trek has factory demo days this Saturday and Sunday at Stony Creek Metro Park near Rochester from 10-3.
    On trail testing is the best for handling and sizing. Get there early.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Sounds like I may be going to Rochester this weekend

Fat-tired Roadie

Ive been looking around a little on Craigslist im just a little worried about their condition. You never know how someone used or abused their bike.
    That's a valid concern. Don't rush, and check out the mechanical condition. I think presence or absence of chain stretch is a good indicator. An unstretched chain and good shifting mean the drivetrain's in, at least, reasonable shape. It's harder if something is trashed. If you don't think you can evaluate a bike that's not in rideable condition, just walk away.

Just Ride
    I dont plan on jumping much. This will be a every day rider. I will use it on the trails with my buddies and also
    Don't lie, your background is in BMX, jumping is part of your riding style! Especially if your old BMX racing buddies are riding with you!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    Don't lie, your background is in BMX, jumping is part of your riding style! Especially if your old BMX racing buddies are riding with you!
    Haha! Thats true. I plan on waiting till I get comfortable on my bike. But sometimes you can't help but take it off a sweet jump.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi i am Marc Pierre. and now i m going to start a business so i want to some suggest from other member.