1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Introduction

mtbr member

Introduction

Hi all. I recently registered after lurking for some time so thought I would introduce myself. I'm a new rider (old dude) looking to improve my physical condition and have some fun with a mtn bike. I just got a good deal on a closeout '13 Cannondale SL2 29er at my LBS. Due to my longtime sedentary lifestyle it will be a while before I get up to speed on trails but I look forward to the challenging experience and am lucky enough to live near a good selection of trails to eventually ride as my conditioning improves.

Anyway, hello and thanks to all of you for the knowledge I've already gained from your postings here at MTBR.COM.
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL2 29er
    2012 Cannondale CAAD10-4

I can't help growing old but I refuse to grow up!

mtbr member
    Welcome to the forum!
    I am fairly new too, having joined a few months ago. It's a great site, and you will get all the encouragement/advice that you need.

Let me start, l was similar to you, not ridden a bike for ten years, and so unfit when l started that l went to the Doctor's to see if there was any reason why l got out of breath so quickly!

But after only a few months of riding l can do 10 miles off road and still feel OK.

Improvement is slow, but sure. You just need to keep riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jimibonz View Post
    Due to my longtime sedentary lifestyle it will be a while before I get up to speed on trails
    Happens to me every spring.

Where are you going to be riding?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the kind words of encouragement guys. For the time being I'll ride residential streets and some easy trails in a nearby park to build up some legs and wind and master some basic mtn bike techniques I've seen demonstrated on youtube.

There are a lot of trails in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mtns nearby and I look forward to riding some of them as I progress.
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL2 29er
    2012 Cannondale CAAD10-4

I can't help growing old but I refuse to grow up!