Thread: Internet bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Internet bike?

In looking for my first bike I'm not sure which way to go. I have been to a couple of LBS and they have brands such as Specialized and Trek. These bikes with decent components cost at the low end $2,500. Add better components and the various models go up to $6,000!

As an alternative I have looked at Ibex and Motobecane. I am intrigued by the Ibex Asta line. Seems like the components are comparable to the more expensive name brand bikes. I actually did a part by part comparison using the MTBR review section and was impressed. A search led to a couple of threads trashing the Ibex?

One poster stated that Ibex sells you on the components while using inferior frames made in China.

I dont know. I would think most all bike frames are made overseas except for couple of really high end companies.

If Ibex uses 6069 aluminum like others whats the problem? I would think the components are key to a good bike and it looks like the Ibex Asta has good components.

Correct me if Im wrong but is the $1,000 difference for a name brand bike to cover advertising, R &D and possibly bragging rights? If I could afford it I would go Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert .

I agree buying from LBS may afford me some special attention when i bring the bike in for adjustments but is that work $1,000?

I just need to know why so many are down on the internet bikes.

I appreciate your help.

AZ
    banned
    Meh, this has been covered extensively in a multitude of threads. Bottom line? Buy from wherever you comfortable with. Good luck with the new ride, post pics of whatever you buy.

Picture Unrelated
    You can glean the information from all sorts of threads on this topic. The point I always bring up is in order to buy online you need to understand exactly what you are buying before you purchase something online. If you can't look at a geometry table and understand what a half inch of top tube means to your ride or what a degree of head tube angle does when you're on a bike then you shouldn't buy a bike online yet.

The online bike manufacturers save money by both using cheaper frames and by not needing extensive infrastructures for getting their bikes out there. But what you get in good parts you will be lacking in customer support, warranty support, sizing help, and additional support after the purchase like tune ups. If you're mechanically inclined then it's not a big deal so weigh up your options and go with what you feel best about.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Zebrahum I completely agree. I actually bought an Ibex frame from the internet in '09 but I knew exactly what I was looking for in terms of geometry, travel, head angle, etc. etc. I built up the bike myself, so obviously I have some experience installing components...

In my case, I got a screaming deal on the frame......I paid $399 for it including the shock and an FSA headset.

If you have experience with mountain bikes, can do some basic wrenching, then an internet bike makes sense. But if you have never bought a mountain bike before, don't know how to do basic adjustments, don't know anything about bike geomentry, then I would advise someone to go to a bike shop and let them help you get fitted with a bike that fits your needs.