mtbr member
    May 2015

intermediate experience back to being a noob (help me)

basically just worked my butt off and now have fauk u money to purchase an insane bike.

I'm 5'10 200lbs (trying to get back to 180)
    I prefer downhill but dont have anything but technical trails around me (i will take rd trips soon to enjoy my downhill addiction).

I like the all mountain genre. Not scared to take a 15ft drop (but will most likely spend lots of time climbing up hills)

price range is up to 10k

most important features for me are locking front forks w/160mm + of travel and the cute little hydraulic adjusting seat post w/shock absorbing ability

please point me towards a bike that has all of this or either point me towards a frame, fork, and seat post. and i will take care of the rest

thanks in advance to all that help

mtbr member
    Can't guarantee anything we you talk about 15 ft drops, but here's a good candidate:
    Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    May 2015
    seems like that one is a (super dedicated DH style) i will troll the net to see if i can dig up some reviews about climbing hills with it.

keep em coming plz

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If I were you, I'd be looking at 2 bikes.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    yeah i've given that some thought. but I'm pretty realistic with myself. i will be trailing 80% of the time with uphills and such. the other 20% will be when i go out of state to other parks that are kick ass and known to have nice drops and such.

I think i'm leaning towards the s-works 650b or the Canyon strive al 7.0

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I heard the SC Nomad is quite a good "do it all" bicycle, kind of a mini-dh rig without completely killing its ability to go up hills. But it's an enduro bike.
    So i would say you should check her out, just keep in mind it won't be as good on DH like the S-Works Demo, or as good on uphill as a XC bike, because it's kind of a mix of both.

It's one of the more capable contenders on its segment...if that's what you're looking for. Hope it helps

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ga_Heretic View Post
    yeah i've given that some thought. but I'm pretty realistic with myself. i will be trailing 80% of the time with uphills and such. the other 20% will be when i go out of state to other parks that are kick ass and known to have nice drops and such.
    IME it's well worth having a dedicated bike for riding parks. Lift riding takes a huge toll on your bike (at least where I live) and if you can swing it, it's nice not to thrash your main ride for the more occasional lift day.

Also, the nearer you get to the top of the pricing ranges, there's much less return on investment. A $6k bike is going to perform at 95% of the level of a $10k bike. The rest of the $$ is buying mainly bling factor and a pinch of weight.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.