1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Bonking ... not feelin' well Installing Bike Computer! Please help!

I'm trying to install CatEye Velo 7 Wired bike computer.

But I can't maybe mount the sensor and the magnet in a good position.
    Anybody use this or any computer? Please help!

Installing Bike Computer! Please help!-dsc_7199.jpg
    I tried in this position and many other position. But the computer isn't showing any speed and it keeps in 0.

Please help ;(

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The little part that attaches to the spokes should have a magnet in it but it looks like it fell out. Without the magnet it won't work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It needs to be lined right. Hard to tell from pics ,is it on the fork or the seat/chain stay? Also the part you have mounted on the spokes looks to be alum,it should be steel for the pickup sense it. You might need to put something behind the the pickup to get it close enough to read .

mtbr member
    May 2013
    YES I figured!

I used another magnet (just a normal magnet, from my sister's toy) and played with the sensor, it worked. So that is the problem.

But I can't find any magnet in the package. Can I use any magnet that fits up the hole?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    rangeriderdave, Yeah the sensor is attached to the fork. And jlmuncie is right, that magnet sensor doesn't have the magnet in it. How do I fix this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Where did you get the computer?The shop should be able to help you out. If you can find a magnet to fit ,you could glue /epoxy it place . A hardware store might have a magnet you could use.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Okay. Thanks I'll try.

This is my first post here and I got the right solution.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Well I managed some magnet and tried to put in that magnet hole. I added some glue too. It looks like this
    Installing Bike Computer! Please help!-dsc_7208.jpg

And it works too!

But I'm a bit confused, as I'm using this magnet, can anyone be sure that I'll get the correct reading?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You'll get the correct reading but the shop should have replaced the defective one for you. Also a universal replacement is inexpensive.

Cow Clicker
    The magnet just passes by the sensor to give an input to the computer. It'll work just fine like that - unless it falls out
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    jlmuncie
    , thanks! Okay I'll visit the shop today and see what they suggest.
    Yeah, it won't be very expensive, as the whole package isn't very expensive. Gonna use this one in my backup MTB for short distant usage.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    wmac, Thanks for confirming. So thats working perfectly. I checked with Endomondo to be sure.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Yes, gluing a magnet in should work just fine. The magnets that are usually in there are very strong, so as to be powerful enough for the sensor to detect even if it's not aligned perfectly. A weaker magnet will only decrease the margin of error you have to play with.

If you're ever so inclined, go on ebay and search for something like "bike computer magnet". They're only a couple dollars a pop.
    ~Always avoid alliteration.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NearlyFr...ew=0&flow=grid