1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Installing a bell on the downtube cable guide?

Does anyone have an idea on how to install a bike bell like this?

Installing a bell on the downtube cable guide?-bell-bike.jpg

I have a simple crane bell, and my bike cable guide looks like this
    imgur: the simple image sharer

I did some googling but came up fruitless, and to be honest i'm not even sure where to begin looking. A guy at a local bike shop said to look into home depot but that wasn't too helpful..Anyone got any ideas? Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    As i look at the picture, it appears as though it is attached to the frame. If this is the case, it may have a threaded collar much like a water bottle holder would attach. This is complete speculation, but perhaps a person could drill a hole in the frame and install a nutsert that would allow the main bell structure to be mounted.

Of course some epoxy's or glue may also work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah, it looks to me like that frame doesn't have cable guides. It's made to allow you to install cable guides or use downtube shifters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You are looking at apples and trying to compare it to your orange.

That pic is of a traditional road bike frame which included downtube shifters. The bike in the pic has had the downtube shifters removed and has installed the bell in the threaded hole that the shifter would have occupied.

You have a traditional mtb with cable guides on the downtube, not threaded holes for downtube shifters.

Look up downtube shifters and you'll get the idea.