1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

inject slime instead of patching multiple goathead holes???

hey i just got a fatbike not to long ago. its been great. but the other day i was riding and we have had a lot of rain lately so it was goathead galore in one area. i didnt realize it till after. needless to say, i had many goatheads in each tire(25+ total). not sure that every one made a hole, highly doubtful. but i am still assuming many holes.

so here is the question, and maybe it is common sense.

can you just inject slime(homemade batch) through valve core and pump up the tube and spin it instead of having to patch all those holes? isnt that what slime/stans is for? would it work or is it too good to be true?

T.W.O.
    Just do a tubeless conversion, I think you need to seal the spoke holes and get rid off the tube altogether.

duh
    why not just replace a tube? They only cost around $5. If you put sealant in the tube it makes it hard to adjust the pressure later.

no trees are safe
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Just do a tubeless conversion, I think you need to seal the spoke holes and get rid off the tube altogether.
    Thats like saying go gay because a girl dumped you...

---

Depending on the size of the holes Slime might or might not work... I'd just swap the tubes when there are so many holes. Dont forget to check the inside of the tyre for stuck thorns or else you're asking for a quick flat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I had the same problem last week i use my bike at the boat drags to get around rode over a section that had many goatheads.Front tire went flat very fast the rear took more time(i had a small amount of slime in rear but not enough) so it went flat just not as fast.

I needed my bike so went to walmart and bought them slime filled tubes i and they worked well i did another unintentional drive over the goatheads got a couple more and pulled one out heard a quick release of air then saw a small amount of slime then it sealed.I got home to go back to normal tubes and had to inspect the tire very closely cause there were atleast 7 goatheads that were broken off still sticking thru the tire and had i just relpaced with a normal tube it would have gone flat.

I put normal tubes back in since the slime tubes are kind of weighty though but will reinstall when i go back to races with the stock tires too.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Millfox View Post
    Thats like saying go gay because a girl dumped you...

---

Depending on the size of the holes Slime might or might not work... I'd just swap the tubes when there are so many holes. Dont forget to check the inside of the tyre for stuck thorns or else you're asking for a quick flat.
    What? So your solution is to keep changing tubes with 25+ holes problem.

It's almost as useless to put sealant into the tube, and you can not put the sealant in to a tire without a proper tubeless conversion. Have you ever done one? Tubeless conversion is one of the best way to get rid off the goat heads problems. OP was trying to inject sealant into the tube why not just go a step further and prevent the future flats.

Try again.