1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Info on 2010 Jamis Parker 1

Hi. Newer to the mountain and trail seen. Have done a little with friends. Decided to possibly step it up and by another bike. I'm 5'11" and about 200 lbs. I found a Jamis Parker 1 that has very little ride time. Still has nubs on the tires and very little paint worn off on pedal surfaces. They tell me it's a 2010. Is there a way to verify the year. Selling the bike for $500. Is there any reason I shouldn't go with this bike such as frame geometry? I know most of the components are lower to middle grade and for now should be ok for me and where I'm at. If I get into it further I can always up grade components of the whole bike. Is there a better bike for trails and all mountain that can be gotten for anywhere near this money. Thanks in advance for any info. and opinions. Cheers
    Last edited by mtbiken; 04-30-2013 at 06:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Talked to a buddy that got into it heavy last year and he's pushing a hard tail Canon 29er and tells me I'm crazy to consider a 26 and FS. for trail/XC.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Go to the Jamis website. They have an archive section. Click there and than click on 2010. Should bring up a catalog of all 2010 Jamis. I believe the 2010 Parker 1 has red frame.

RE: 26 FS. Why not. I ride a 26 in FS and love it. A Jamis BTW. On smoother stuff I ride a 29 hardtail but for the rough stuff its a FS 26 .

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yeah, it's red. Page 13 of the 2010 catalog.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the info. I called Jamis direct and they determined by color (sludge, grey/blue) that it's a '08. I read a thread somewhere that the '08's had a frame problem or something that was big enough a deal that they even did a recall. No bash guard on '08 and I understand the components were lacking more than '09 and '10. Too bad the bike is like new. 17" so it would just barely fit my 31" inseam. Thought about doing some more research on it and offering even less.

Did some light quick shopping today and started looking at entry 29er hard tails. Looked at Trek, Canondale, Specialized, and Marin. All $600 to 1k new. Would love to find a higher end unit yet slightly used for same monies.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    My 09 Jamis XAM 2 allegedly had similar frame issue. Breaking of the chain stay. I have not experienced that but than again I do not take big drops .

Entry level 29er with good specs.

My suggestion is to check out Airborne Bike.

For the money you cannot beat the Goblin. At $1,200 you will get one hell of a bike. For $600 the Guardian is a great deal as well.

I like my LBS but have learned that I can save a lot of money by going direct to manufacturer. Is it a "well known" brand, no. Who cares.

I recently purchased a Goblin XO and the service from Airborne is top notch.

Airborne Bicycles. Cross Country 26&29"

They have a sub forum which is frequented by one of the owners of the company if you need help:

Airborne

I am NOT on the payroll rather a satisfied consumer who by going Airborne saved about $1,000 in the process.