1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New question here. Increasing stem length

I have three mountain bikes, A Giant Yukon with 25" frame, with little stem length extension. A Motobecane 29r, FS, 30 sp, also with little stem extension. A Fuji Nevada 3.0 with about 5/8 inch more stem extension out of the head set than the other afore mentioned mtb's. Is it possible to extend the stem for more height of the stem? If so how?thx

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Stems can have an angle. More angle or an adjustable angle will give you more bar height. More rise of the bars gives more height. If you have spacers above the stem, you can put them under plus a little more spacer width to give you more height. Both stem bolts don't need the steerer tube to go past them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sounds like one of the better ways to go to get more Bar height would be an adjustable angle stem? What do they cost?

Thx!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: Increasing stem length

For more height get a bar with a rise (or.more then current)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

B.Ike
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Stems can have an angle. More angle or an adjustable angle will give you more bar height. More rise of the bars gives more height. If you have spacers above the stem, you can put them under plus a little more spacer width to give you more height. Both stem bolts don't need the steerer tube to go past them.

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by cactus1 View Post
    I have three mountain bikes, A Giant Yukon with 25" frame, with little stem length extension. A Motobecane 29r, FS, 30 sp, also with little stem extension. A Fuji Nevada 3.0 with about 5/8 inch more stem extension out of the head set than the other afore mentioned mtb's. Is it possible to extend the stem for more height of the stem? If so how?thx
    cactus1, do you mean you want to raise the height of your stem and bars, or increase the length of your stem, or both - I cannot follow

Think like this though - the longer the stem, the farther forward your upper body weight will be. Also, your steering will become more sluggish as you have to turn the end of your bars and hands through a longer arc to achieve the same rotation at the wheel. That can mean a feeling of more control, or "the dead man's tiller" - no hope of being able to avoid something without planning. The higher the stem, the more rotational force that transmits through the steerer tube to the fork. A stem raised by using spacers, or having a significant upward angle off the steerer tube, will twist the fork more than one with a lower stem and shorter steerer tube.

The other option if you want to raise the height of your bars, is to use a riser bar. A quality riser handlebar on a lower and shorter stem will reduce unnecessary twisting force through the steerer and fork, as well as absorbing fine vibrations.

If you think about the basic physics, it probably pays to have wider bars, with a rise to match your riding style, comfort and bike design, on a shorter stem that is set as low as possible to the headset.

Or I could be wrong

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The first part of this post good advice, but last line? This is really bad advice. Great way to get hurt. Or I don't understand what you are saying.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    A 25" frame? Jeez, you must be tall. Do you have pics of your current stem/bar setups?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    The first part of this post good advice, but last line? This is really bad advice. Great way to get hurt. Or I don't understand what you are saying.
    Was he talking about how the steerer tube should be slightly below the top of the stem?
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    25" frame on my Giant Yukon, and have shrunk from 6'5" down to 6'3", inseam has decreased by almost an inch since I purchased it in 2002. My son has the same size bike and he's 6'9" 270 lbs. Get some pic's one of these days when the sun comes out.

Had my new Moto 29r, FS, xtr put together at a LBS, and they didn't seem to interested in answering any questions I had about the bike, or the fit, I had to ask about the air shocks and then they apparently remembered that the young man who assembled the bike forgot to put any air in the Rock Shocks. Took the bike out for a quick ride and the seat was about 2 inches too low, then brought it back and they adjusted it up. Now it seems like the bars are far too low, and I think I need to raise them, but it looks like there are two or three different options. . .
    Install a new stem, or riser, or spacer for more verticle height. Don't think I need to have the angle put further away, just straight up (if that makes any sense).

On my Giant Yukon I need to bring the bar back toward the rider about 1 inch, they always did feel a bit too far out.

Bike shops are really crowded here now that Summer weather is here!

mtbr member
    Total newby here but I just did what your talking about. Both my wife and I bought used bikes and mine was from a guy exactly your size.. Needless to say the stem was way to long for me. We took the advice from several people here @ mtbr and took our bikes in to our LBS for a fitting.

They were very helpful n sizing us properly and due to our non aggressive riding style to date advised us to go with an adjustable stem. I paid 36 for the silver one and 39 for the black one, I guess black is more popular. We haven't road them yet other then in front of the house but first impressions is WOW! what a change and were both very excited about trying them out this week end.

Here is a link to that thread Proper Handelbar Hight

But here is a picture as well .

Sounds like you might benefit trying a more user friendly bike shop. Maybe they were really busy but they still should be interested in helping you and pleasant to interact with..even if that means asking you to leave the bike or come back later. I'm self employed and treat every person with respect and courtesy even if I have to refer them to someone else if Im to backed up to take on their job.

Every person has value and I will stop whatever I'm doing and give anybody 15 min of my life to talk with them and offer what service or advice in my field of expertise I can... any bike shop worth its salt should be willing to do the same..or move on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Increasing stem length-my-stem.jpg  

My ride...Pro Flex Beast
    Wife's ride...Diamondback DBR-XR8