1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

im so lost ! lol

FR , DH , AM , XC , Full suspension , hard tail , no suspension ... WTF , i don't know what kind of bike i need ! lol

ok here is the deal , i have been looking to get into Mountain biking for a while .
    the main reason is to help me get back into shape . ( just need something to help keep the heart rate up ) i expect to be riding a lot of street and trails. nothing extreme .

now here is the problem ... i was a fairly good rider a few years back. i raced BMX , rode freestyle / half pipe , DJ , tons of street / urban riding . launching 10Ft flight's of stairs was not un common for me ! now i don't expect to get back to the level of riding i was at when i was 20 but i do know if i see a set of stairs along journey's the temptation to jump over them will be there .

i am guessing that an AM bike is what i would need but i am un sure if that is correct .
    i am also not sure if i should look for a HT or full suspension bike . from what i understand i will need to spend $2K on a solid FS bike if im doing more then just jumping off a curb or 2 . im not willing to spend that much yet .

anyway im so lost , any advise / help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

What could go wrong ...
    "i expect to be riding a lot of street and trails. nothing extreme ."

sounds like a good hardtail with 100mm fork would fit your needs. yeah 2K is a lot of money for a bike but if you can swing 1K you should be able to find something for your riding style.
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think something like a Specialized Rockhopper Disc would be what you need.
    Should be able to find for around $675 or less, or something in the range would be a good spot to start