1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

I'm NEW! (and i have a question about my brakes)

Hey People!
    I'm both new to these forums and moutainbiking. I have bought a Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007 for my first bike. Probably a bit basic, but i want to make sure i get into it before i spend lotsa $$.

I haven't had the bike long or really worn it in yet. But today when i was riding i came down a hill and broke hard using the front brakes (my bike has disc brakes btw) it sorta.. well... Broke hard then slow then hard then slow in really quickly... like say the disc was bent, but it isn't. Does this sound familiar? I'm not sure if i was braking too hard or if i haven't worn the brakes in yet or what.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    New disc brakes always need some time to break in. Something like 60 stops, for all I know. Till then, there is no point to adjust them. If after some period the brakes don't start working properly, turn to the shop you bought the bike from. At least, 1 tuning(not just of the brakes, of the drivetrain and everything else on the bike too) after purchase is normally free of charge.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yea i have to take it back in 4 weeks for my first free service, so i guess i'll see if something needs adjusting then. I was onlu concerned because it was fine for the first 2 rides and then only did i once i broke hard.
    Thanks for the input, xenon.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yep.. as xenon said you need to brake them in correctly... find a small hill and roll down a couple of times with the brakes engaged, but without braking hard....to transfer some pad material to the rotor...after a couple of "rolls" start trying hard stops...and you will see the power increase.... and the braking track on the rotors will start to look "polished"...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just an update for those who may be interested.

I took my bike back to the shop, as it is only a week old.
    They agreed with me that the caliper was not making full contact with the rotor, and was the cause of the "pulsing" like braking. Almost feels like it has ABS.
    So they replaced the brakes completely, with a different brand.

I got it back this afternoon, rode it down the driveway, only to find it's STILL doing it.
    I know the brakes they put on are brand new, so i will brake them in tomorrow and see how they go. If there is no improvement, it means it's the rotor.

FYI it brakes hard on the same spot on the rotor as the old brakes, i can tell this because of the reflector positioning, which means it really does have to be the rotor. Dunno... maybe it has oil on it or something, maybe i need to sand it back and start fresh. Either way, it's a pain in the ass driving back and forth to the shop!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What brand of brakes?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The brakes on it now are Tektro. Dunno what they were before.

I post too much.
    The only mechanical brakes that work well IMO are Avid BB5's or BB7's. Not too expensive of a upgrade since you've got levers and cables already. I'm guessing 100 bucks or a tard more would have you with the best set of mechanical brakes out there.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by depecid
    FYI it brakes hard on the same spot on the rotor as the old brakes
    Can you see or feel anything different in that part of the disk? Of course there is no lubricant on the rest of the disk?

Maybe try cleaning the disk with alcohol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I don't think it is oil on the rotor thing. In this case the oil would have moved onto the pads in no time and you would have no braking at all. Now it sounds rather like warped rotor. In front brake, warped rotor is well visible, just rotate the wheel and look at the clearance between rotor and the fork's leg. To check the rear rotor, you need to look at the clearance between rotor and pads - you may put a piece of white paper under the wheel to see better. Pretty annoying problem, but of course, as long as the bike is still brand new, under warranty - it is up to LBS to solve.
    As to brakes upgrade, I have HMX-2 , they work well, just need to be adjusted often.

There's no app for this.

some brake thoughts for you

1) Tectro are very basic brakes, OEM, for your bike
    2) your brakes are pulsing still, likely due to the rotor design, not a warped rotor. For example, Avid Juicy brakes are well renowned for pulsing and driving their owners nuts because of this design flaw.
    3) go to the BRAKES forum and read up on disc brakes in the DISC BRAKE FAQ...that'll help you understand what's going on.

Jim

mtbr member
    Could it be brake fade?

Heat and gas builds up between the rotor and pad and this adversely effects breaking performance.
    My religion is simple. My religion is kindness. - Dali Lama

mtbr member
    Could it be brake fade?

Heat and gas builds up between the rotor and pad and this adversely effects breaking performance.
    My religion is simple. My religion is kindness. - Dali Lama

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the input people.

As for upgrading the brakes, i really don't feel that's something i should have to do as Mongoose should supply brakes with the bike that work well enough to use. I have barely used the bike yet, so it should not be having these problems, and if it's something that happens often in cheaper disc brakes, then they should not put disc brakes on entry level bikes. I most probably will upgrade parts in the future, but i want to make sure it's something i get into before i go that path.

As for brake fade, they are brand new. Only came back from the shop yesterday. I rode for 5 mins applying pressure on the front brake to wear it in, but straight away it was doing the same thing. Will go for a big ride this afternoon and see what happens.

As for the rotor, if it's warped, it can't be seen by the eye. If i lift the front wheel up and spin it, and look down the edge of the rotor, and it looks to be true.... no warping that i can see.

Perttime, the disc looks the same all over. The only difference is, and this will be a hard one to describe without visuals, is that the old brake pads were overhanging on the outside of the rotor a cm or so. Which means it wasn't touching on the inside.
    I might go take photos, may be eaiser to show you.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ok, in the first photo, you can see the pads were not covering the rotor fully. This is the front brake. The second photo (rear brake), you can see the wear indicates the pad was making full contact with the rotor.

these are the markings left from the first calipers, mind you. So i'll see if the new brakes cover the rotor fully.
    Not sure if this is indicative of the problem, but definately a difference between the two.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by depecid; 05-16-2007 at 05:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Give them time. They just need to be broken in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i too would say those rotors brakes arent completely broken in yet...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well just got back from the shop again. Went for my first trail ride in ourimbah state forrest, and i ate it a few times due to the front brakes kicking in too hard on downhill parts.
    They replaced the front rotor with the same type, and it's a lot better, but still does it a tad. They replaced the back rotor (he rode it and couldn't believe how bad the back one was, but i haven't used the back brakes much and wasn't aware it was having the same problems) with a much better one, and it completely eliminated the problem.
    So i'll see how i go. I have to take it back in 3 weeks for it's first service. So if the front is still noticeable, i will ask them to put on the same as the back now has.

That's for all the info people.

Muhuhahaha
    Have fun riding it.