1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Im looking for a good hardtail 29er for around $600

Hello everyone.

Im new to biking and could use some help picking out a decent mountain bike to start with. Iv done a little research but I still don't think I know enough to pick out the best I can afford.
    What do yall think about the GTs around $600 like the karakoram, avalanche or timberline??

Any help would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Based on my extremely limited knowledge and research, I would recommend watching Craigslist for a lightly used Trek, Cannondale, Specialized or Giant. For that price range you can find a pretty decent 26" but don't expect top of the line components. If you want a 29er, they are bit harder to come by used and they seem to be holding their value better than 26ers so the deals aren't as abundant. I had about the same budget as you and for that money I expect one of two things... a good starter bike that will let me see if I fall in love with MTB and then upgrade to something a bit better later on or a good starter bike that I can easily resell and recoup most of my investment if I decide that it just isn't for me. Either way, buy used and find a good deal and you won't be out much if you upgrade or decide to bail.

mtbr member

For that price, it's going to be very hard to find a *new* 29er. The cheapest Gt 29er I would go for is the Overdrive XC, the 2012 model is currently going for around 800 or so... if I could make a recommendation, get a good new 26er, you'll get better parts and a bike that could really take you into mountain biking. I started with a trek 4 series myself. Then you can upgrade to something in the $1200 range(or better) once you have enough experience. That's the best way to go. Plus, the switch from 26 to 29, especially if you're experienced, is like seeing a whole new world!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ^Treed me. +1 on the Guardian.
    Earnest Hemingway once said "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icouch View Post
    This is an awesome idea as the bike is dirt cheap and has an amazing set of parts for the money, BUT it doesn't come fully assembled. Once you get it you'll need to install the wheels and handlebars, check everything is tight, which requires a half dozen special tools(casette socket, crank puller, BB tool chain whip, spoke wrenches...), hope that wheels are true, center disc brakes, and adjust the front and rear derailleurs... Now for an experienced biker this is nothing, but for a beginner, building your own bike can lead to a very displeasing experience.simply because you lack the knowledge and skill to do the tasks, which can lead to a poorly performing bike. And if you took it somewhere to get it built it'd be at least another hundred so you would be over budget...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenzobear View Post
    This is an awesome idea as the bike is dirt cheap and has an amazing set of parts for the money, BUT it doesn't come fully assembled. Once you get it you'll need to install the wheels and handlebars, check everything is tight, which requires a half dozen special tools(casette socket, crank puller, BB tool chain whip, spoke wrenches...), hope that wheels are true, center disc brakes, and adjust the front and rear derailleurs... Now for an experienced biker this is nothing, but for a beginner, building your own bike can lead to a very displeasing experience.simply because you lack the knowledge and skill to do the tasks, which can lead to a poorly performing bike. And if you took it somewhere to get it built it'd be at least another hundred so you would be over budget...
    Not to mention the $75 shipping.

If your shopping from a LBS...all the 'name brand bikes' are going to have about the same parts in that price range. So the main decider would most likely be the fit and feel of the bike, and which one is most visually appealing to you. Go test ride a few in your price range and pick the one that feels the best would be my advice. Also look for last years bikes, some shops may still be trying to get rid of them and they usaully have killer deals on them.

mtbr member

Not to mention that if you buy from your LBS, and ever have any questions or issues, they'll be more than willing to help you out and if its a repair or adjustment that's nothing major, it'll most likely be free too. Any reputable shop will stand behind their product and never hesitate to inform a newcomer on what he needs to know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ^ Disagreed. Unless the sale expired very recently, shipping is free. The assembly is very easy...the wheel and handlebars are nothing, for anyone. Honestly if you can't install these things, how can you handle ANY problem on the trail?

As far as a professional inspection/tightening/checking for true, I actually think that's a good idea. It should be much cheaper than $100 though...I just paid $60 for a full tune up for my Skyhawk and probably paid too much. Others are reporting as low as $30 for the service.
    Earnest Hemingway once said "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Re: Im looking for a good hardtail 29er for around $600

I'm an owner of a first generation Airborne Goblin which has the same frame as the Guardian. Assembling a Guardian requires a couple metric Allen wrenches and that's it. If you have any issues with your new bike, they'll take care of you quickly. Jump over to the Airborne manufacturer forum here on MTBR. The user "BigDaddyFlyer" is Jeremy, their product manager. You can also call them up and speak to them directly. They're very helpful. I've put over 1,500 miles on my Goblin since August and it's always been a fun bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I don't see where it says free shipping on the airborne site. Also add the cost of pedals because it comes with none...the guardian easily comes up above $700. Even if you don't have a shop assembling it, a decent pair of pedals are in the $25 plus range. But then again it does allow you to pay with bill me later so you don't have a very large cost up front...so it still seems cheaper than anything you could buy from a bike shop.

But the added benefit of the parts that come with it might not outweigh the benefit of having your LBS to back up your purchase with free maintenance and what not. I know people say airborne has great customer service, but some people just want that service in person.

However, that being said...if it were me, and that were my budget, I would go with the guardian. But I already know how to work on my own bike, have a good set of pedals I can transfer over, and wouldn't mind waiting for one to arrive in the mail. And I will be buying a Goblin at the beginning of the summer for myself.

Airborne Product Dude
    To clarify, there is no free freight on the Guardian. We are only offering free freight on a few of our other models that we are closing out.

Good luck with your search! Whatever you buy, like others have stated the important thing is to get a bike that you like and that fits you well. That way you are more apt to ride it more often and enjoy it.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ^ I sit corrected. Still a great choice if you can swing it.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinblue View Post
    Definitely, by far the best deal on parts and quality if you can get it all set properly.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinblue View Post
    Definitely, by far the best deal on parts and quality if you can get it all set properly.

Old Fart Swamper

Cool-blue Rhythm $627 Tax Incxluded

I caught a 15% off sale, regular price is $689 + tax

Scott Aspect 940 29er HT with wet brakes.
    Rides great and at that price I got a really good seat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks everyone for all the ideas. I am leaning towards the Guardian now for sure. I won't have trouble putting it together but I am a little worried about the size. I liked an 18in that I test rode but aren't all bikes different? Or should any 18inch fit if one fits?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Also do yell have a suggestion on pedals??

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    As far as the size, ask BigDaddyFlye about it, may get him your measurements. He'll take care of you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Alright thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I don't know a lot about bikes and I was wondering if you could tell me what makes the Guardian $250 better than the sky hawk? I've also never tuned a bike so is that something I can learn over the Internet or should I take it to someone the first time?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just saw the pedal question. I just bought some Wellgo MG-1's from Ebay ($40), I haven't tried them yet, but they seem to be well liked. I had tried some cheapies but they didn't have much of any grip.

The Guardian is obviously a 29'er, where the Skyhawk has 26 inch wheels. The Skyhawk has SRAM X4 components and the Guardian has SRAM X5's. The Skyhawk has a Suntour XCM fork, where the Guardian has a RockShox. Basically, all of the components of the Guardian are about a step above the Skyhawk, and the 29 vs. 26 accounts for a good bit of the price difference.

I know there are other differences, but this is whats at the top of my head, and since I'm a noob like you, I think we probably have very similar perspectives.

I bought the Skyhawk (Just a week ago) and debated heavily between the two. Ultimately I was just impatient and the Guardian wasn't in stock at the time. The price difference would have been hard to explain to the misses, too. I'm not 100% sure I made the right choice, though I'm absolutely new to this and I'm loving the Skyhawk so far.

I had never tuned a bike either. There are youtube videos that show how easy it is. The hardest part, IMO, is hanging the bike (Without a stand) so that you can spin the pedals and change gears while watching the way they track. After that, simple tuning really is as easy as turning a screw one way or the other. Take a look through some Youtube videos, you'll see.
    Last edited by bleedinblue; 04-11-2013 at 10:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    One more option. Trek has a spring sale on the Wahoo for around $575. I bought mine in Feb. and have rode the snot out of it and love it! I did swap out the Novella brakes with bb7's and the pedals with mg-1's off my 26" GT. The Scott Aspect seems like a heck of a deal too with hydros. if you feel more comfortable having your bike already set up at the LBS. vs. online?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Oh okay I didn't notice it was a 26. And I appreciate the help a lot. I'm thinking I'll go with the Guardian unless I find a 29er that's as good for the price at a shop

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah I would prefer it set up but my local shop doesn't have a very big variety. I might drive to Dallas pretty soon and look for one there before I commit to the Guardian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast