1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

I'm looking to buy a new bike.

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a new bike. The bike I'm using is currently a small BMX bike when I used when I was a kid. I'm now 18, and I think something bigger and more comfortable would be more appropriate considering I'm 5'9. I like to ride on the road, but do also go through the dirt trails near my house. I'm assuming a road bike wouldn't be able handle this, so I guess a hybrid or mountain bike would be more appropriate? Anyways, considering I'm paying for a new bike myself, my funds are limited... as whatever I have is going towards school or my savings.

The price of department store bikes are tempting, but considering all the negative surrounding these models I figured it would be smart to avoid it.

Does anyone have any good models or advice to recommend? The local bike shop is primarily road bikes and beach cruisers.

By the way, how's this bike? Yes it's from a department store... but it's a cannondale which I have heard some good things about, so I'm interested in some feedback.

Cannondale Trail 6 Black Mountain Bike

Thank you,
    Zealex

Level 5 Rider!
    The cannondale site has this bike equipped with Suntour XCT fork, which though not great I have read is much better than the Gila the Costco one is equipped with. If you get the one with the XCT fork it also means that you can get the suntour upgrade deal if you want to upgrade later. Maybe a bike shop would carry the bike with the XCT fork for the same price so it may be worth checking that out.

If your looking for the best bike for the money then you should probably try to find a used bike. Of course you will have to be careful and shop smart. Understand what you are buying before you put down the money. Make sure the bike fits you properly whether new or used. Don't buy a bike with Shimano Tourney on it as I have it and it's the one thing on my bike that I find really frustrating. The Altus on that bike is a step up from the tourney so it may not have as many problems.

If your looking for comfort on and off road then you may want to consider a hybrid. Depends on how fast you like to ride and how rough those trails are.

Good luck and I hope this helped.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

29ers Forever
    Are you sure that this is the 2013 Cannondale Trail 6 and not the 2012? The '12 had RST, the '13 has Suntour.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie