1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

i'm eaten alive, bug spray?

it seems the bugs have really come alive in CT. I've tried some bug sprays a couple different ones but they didn't really work. What can i do to keep these things away from me?

mtbr member
    Keep riding, lol. If you stop they will always be all over you. So get your stamina up, and you wont have any bug problems.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Underskilled
    There are good bug sprays out there, keep trying brands.

mtbr member
    what percent deet is in the kind that wasn't working for you? there are differing opinions on deet and effectiveness/health issues. generally for me, the 10-15% deet is good enough for me as long as i reapply if i'm sweating a lot.

when i was in guatemala on my pick up trip for my son, i went to an area where it looks cloudy because of how dense the mosquito population is- crazy! many were being bit, but my 98% deet worked wonders! just keep it out of your eyes- burns like a beeotch!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 890
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    what percent deet is in the kind that wasn't working for you? there are differing opinions on deet and effectiveness/health issues. generally for me, the 10-15% deet is good enough for me as long as i reapply if i'm sweating a lot.

when i was in guatemala on my pick up trip for my son, i went to an area where it looks cloudy because of how dense the mosquito population is- crazy! many were being bit, but my 98% deet worked wonders! just keep it out of your eyes- burns like a beeotch!
    The mosquitoes in Guatemala are serious, the "Sanqudos" there are even worse.

To the OP,
    I have tried to stay away from deet based products because of their chemical reactions with sunscreen. Both sunscreen and deet has been around forever. Why was it just recently that the FDA said not to use both products at the same time? I just don't trust that there isn't going to be any other bad reaction with another product. I currently use a Lemon Grass based product by Repel. It works pretty darn good, but I'm sure it won't compare to the 98% deet!

Pretty in Pink
    Bens. The standard outdoor stuff is 30 deet, you can up it to deep woods 100 deet, dont spray near your bike or car, it likes to eat paint.
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by William_Cannon
    The mosquitoes in Guatemala are serious, the "Sanqudos" there are even worse.

To the OP,
    I have tried to stay away from deet based products because of their chemical reactions with sunscreen. Both sunscreen and deet has been around forever. Why was it just recently that the FDA said not to use both products at the same time? I just don't trust that there isn't going to be any other bad reaction with another product. I currently use a Lemon Grass based product by Repel. It works pretty darn good, but I'm sure it won't compare to the 98% deet!
    I believe the recommendation to not use combined sunscreen/Deet products is due to the fact that sunscreen must be reapplied frequently and DEET should not be applied more frequently than 8 hours (it is not water soluble). I believe that was on the FDA site, not sure though.
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Try Ultrathon. It is a bit pricey but works well.

renaissance cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtolds
    Keep riding, lol. If you stop they will always be all over you. So get your stamina up, and you wont have any bug problems.
    Ií with ya on this. I donít use bug spray, because I donít spend a lot of time stationary. When I do stop, I generally try to find a more open area like the summit of hill where the sun dries things out and there is no water near by. The nice cool shady spot under the canopy of vegetation next to the creek has a price paid in bloodÖ that sounds much more dark and ominous that it is. Iíve also found that bees are attracted to my bottles of Heed. If I am stopped for longer than it takes to transfer water bottles to the more convenient cage, or to scarf down a banana, Iíll to be attacked by a swarm of insects.

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Here in New England, the other concern is Ticks. Riding narrow trails with vegetation brushing by is an invitation to Ticks and Lyme Disease. Again, Deet is the answer that seems to best protect against the nasty critters.... Also good for paint remover....
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

mtbr member
    I get those little hunter spray bottles of 100% deet at wal mart. I only use them on my legs, and usually only for rides where I know I might be stopped in the woods or just be out for longer periods. I don't care about mosquitos, just ticks/lyme. Getting that high deet stuff on the legs seems to repel ticks pretty well I've found.