1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm im 15 and wanting a mountain bike

hey guys im not new to mountain bikeing but i have been riding my dads old walmart bike and im looking for a new one. i have narowed down my choices to 3 bikes,and i have about a 600$ spending limit.

1. 2012 raleigh talus 5.0

2. 2012 jamis trail X3

3. 2012 marin pioneer trail disc

all of these bikes i have looked at and like but i think what i dont know the most is the quality of the components. like shimano acera, shimano alivio, and shimano atlus? all advise will be helpful thanks.

mtbr member
    Go to your local dealers and see what you can find in a used bike, you will get alot more bang for your buck and im going to guess you going to go through a few different bikes as your skills get better and you find your "style" of riding.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

Fat-tired Roadie
    The Shimano web site lists their component groups in order of level. XTR is the top, Alivio is the bottom listed. Acera and Altus fit in below that. Acera and Alivio components work okay, IME. Altus blows. Deore and up all work great, and I don't think functional improvements are that big above Deore, but you can get into better service life and lighter weight.

My favorite of your three would probably be the Raleigh. The spec is a bit better than the Marin's, more-or-less on par with the Jamis', and the geometry is for a more athletic rider. The Jamis and Marin both have shortish top tubes, for more casual riders. Bear in mind that I'm seeing this as someone who rides mountain bikes as a sport, and with that use in mind. Depending on what you want, you might not agree with me.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Yeah, a used bike 2-3 years old will get you a lot more for your money. If you can, get it from your local shop. That way you get their support and you know the bike is right, or it should be if the shop is decent. You might check craigslist too. Make sure you know what to look for on a used bike though if you go that route.

As far as Shimano...I'm not 100% but I think the order of best to worst goes...

1. XTR
    2. Deore XT
    3. Deore LX
    4. Deore
    5. Alivio
    6. Altus

SRAM is a little easier to follow...

1. XX
    2. X0
    3. X9
    4. X7
    5. X5
    6. X3

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i have ruled out the marin now its out of the first 2 any thoughts?

mtbr member
    have you ridden any of these bikes ?You might want to go ride them and see what is more comfortable to you. If that doesn't work, search craiglist for something.
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post

As far as Shimano...I'm not 100% but I think the order of best to worst goes...

1. XTR
    2. Deore XT
    3. Deore SLX / LX
    4. Deore
    5. Alivio
    6. Acera
    7. Altus
    Plus a few more...

SRAM is a little easier to follow...

1. XX
    2. X0
    3. X9
    4. X7
    5. X5
    6. X4
    7. X3
    Fixed it just a little bit... i think its about right

Take a look at the Giant Revel 1 and 0, also maybe the Trek Marlin.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    right on! when i was 14 i worked all summer to save up for my 1st mtb. it was entry level and around 400 out the door. it had bottom of the line everything on it. i did a lot of trail riding and just about everything on it broke over the years. but it lasted about 6 years. the parts just sucked. so i would recommend saving your pennies and aiming for a bike with mid grade components, say Deore SLX / LX. it cost more but in the long run will pay off. look for something used. oh and when you do find a used bike you may be interested look it up on the bike revue here on mtbr to get an idea how people like it. good luck you came to the right place.

mtbr member
    Im also 15 and ive been riding for about 2 years now. I started on a $350 diamondback and upgraded to a $600 gary fisher when i wore out parts. Now Im on a ridged steel 29er and love it. Don't rule out bikes without suspension. Ridgeds are a lot cheaper and really help develop riding skills. Low end forks aren't always better anyway. Used bikes are also worth looking at because many bikes are in great shape that are for sale.
    "A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Steve Martin

I4NI
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsromich View Post
    Im also 15 and ive been riding for about 2 years now. I started on a $350 diamondback and upgraded to a $600 gary fisher when i wore out parts. Now Im on a ridged steel 29er and love it. Don't rule out bikes without suspension. Ridgeds are a lot cheaper and really help develop riding skills. Low end forks aren't always better anyway. Used bikes are also worth looking at because many bikes are in great shape that are for sale.
    Wise for your age young jedi
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

Suckin wind like a boss
    at 15, your physical frame is still growing. i would guess that it might be a relevant thought to buy a bike thats a size bigger than what you need so you dont outgrow it before your skills surpass it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsromich View Post
    :wq

R.I.P. DogFriend
    A lot of 15 year olds are interested in jumping and thrashing, and I haven't seen any indication of what actual type of riding the OP sees themself doing. So, I will ask: What type of riding are you interested in?