1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Cow Clicker

If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

From Nick at Suntour: "We are happy to provide a customer loyalty upgrade program that allows end users to upgrade to a fork of their choice from SR Suntour. Forks start at the Raidon level with an air cartridge, adjustable rebound and hydraulic lockout. Pricing starts at $150-$175 depending on the wheel size."

More details: Fork Help
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    A contact email, phone #, or website link might help. I am curious about this.

Cow Clicker
    PM Nick.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This can be a good option, but like any upgrade you need info to compare your choices before you spend your money. Fork demos don't exist.
    For upgrading it would be useful to throw out some tuning info, testing links and exploded views. I see an exploded view for the Raidon but their website links for views of the Epicon and Axion are not live.

banned
    Sep 2012

.... the word's finally getting out... Nick is going to get swamped by PM's

hehe

-S

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Had i hadnt changed mine a while back i think i would have been all over this too.I still have my basic suntours that came on my trek

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Anyone heard back yet?

Cow Clicker
    Might be off for the holidays.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sounds like a cool program, will try to take advantage of it as soon as I'm able.

mtbr member
    Hi All,

We are just getting our computers warmed up again from the holidays and I have already tried to answer PM's and email regarding this. I will get back with anyone who ask a question time permitting : )

One thing I would like to add is that we do have a dedicated demo driver that covered more than 30,000 miles last year and attended every large bicycle event in the country so our higher end forks can be seen out in the wild.

In regards to exploded views every fork we have made dating back to 2006 has an exploded view available on our website.

Nick

Here is a link to the program guidelines.

SR Suntour North America | Consumer Site
    Last edited by SRvancouver13; 01-15-2014 at 01:25 PM.
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So if I have the XCM V3 (26")on my airborne skyhawk, what would I upgrade to?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm having a hard time figuring out what is what between the models. Looking for an upgrade for a 29er. Is coil better or worse than air? It's also hard to judge on the SR site without prices.

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by mi26r View Post
    So if I have the XCM V3 (26")on my airborne skyhawk, what would I upgrade to?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    This is where upgrading a fork becomes difficult. Your Skyhawk was spec'd with an appropriate fork for the frame and other components on the bike. If you upgrade the fork at +$150, you will have spent 50% of the original value in a modification that will enable you to travel faster and through terrain that your brakes and wheels were not designed to handle. Then you will want to upgrade those parts and you will have spent as much or more than if you just bought a bike spec'd to your riding level and style.

However, to answer your question, the Raidon would be the next step up.

mtbr member
    Subscribed for my fiancÚ's Felt Six70

clk
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I think there website is down

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Thanks for (re)posting this. Their website works fine for me, and I think this is something I'd definitely like to take advantage of. I wouldn't mind being the guinea pig.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by burbskate View Post
    I'm having a hard time figuring out what is what between the models. Looking for an upgrade for a 29er. Is coil better or worse than air? It's also hard to judge on the SR site without prices.
    Coil vs air doesn't define what fork is better than another. In terms of entry level forks, air forks are suggested because they are more easily adjustable and the damper systems that come with air forks at that price range are usually better than coil forks because the low end coil forks are less expensive overall. As you get into higher priced forks the dampers are what set one fork apart from another more so than if they're air or coil. I have a very nice coil rear shock mated with a very nice air fork on my bike and they have their strong points. Coils have a nice "feel" to them but weigh more. Air is more easily adjustable including on trail or for another rider of a different weight to ride.

I would start with the SR catalog http://srsuntour-files.dbap.de/_publ...S-2K13-LOW.pdf. It has a nice description of all of the dampers used in their forks (pages 20-25) then starting on page 62 you have a breakdown of the specs of each fork. Usually, the model name contains the name of the damper used in the fork so you can know which technology is being used where.

Here's a quick guide to picking a fork:
    1. Your frame is designed for a certain amount of suspension travel. If you do not use that amount of travel, you change how the bike handles and in extreme cases you can put the structure of the frame in danger and risk breakage. I would suggest to match the travel of your current fork and not exceed it by more than 20mm. Every frame is different, contact the manufacturer with any questions about compatibility.
    2. Buy the same steerer tube as your current fork or one that is compatible with your frame. If you have a straight 1 1/8" steerer, buy a straight 1 1/8" steerer for your new fork. If you have a tapered headtube then buy a tapered fork and so on.
    3. Match your wheel size, axle type (QR or thru-axle hub), and your brake type. If you have rim brakes, make sure the fork you're shopping for can take rim brakes.
    4. Finally, pick a price and buy whatever you can get for that price. Fork technology can get pretty hard to understand; if you are buying in a certain price point then you can compare forks more evenly. Only compare forks that contain your needs in wheel size, axle type, and so on to limit your choices as much as possible.

All that's left is to make a decision. It's hard to go wrong so long as you don't mind a little homework. If you can't make a decision, go to your LBS and let them guide you.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    @zebrahum - wow. Thanks for the great explanation! I'll look up that catalog.

turtles make me hot
    I have three people with XCT's on their bikes. This would be an awesome upgrade.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    so is there a website or do we just pm? my 400ht from BD has a suntour SR fork on it and its the only part on it i dont like. it has bottomed out from day one and im 5"11 160lbs. I wouldnt mind a higher end fork from suntour but the one i have, ugh...

mtbr member
    Hi All,

There seems to be a lot of interest in this program from many of you, so thanks. For anyone that has questions about this please email me as opposed to a PM to make it a little more legitimate.

For anyone looking for a quick review on the base level fork in this program you can check the link below.

Voodoo Hoodoo Review - BikeRadar

Nick
    360-737-6450
    nmoore@srsuntourna.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    OOOOO! I will have to keep this in mind as I'm looking at new rides.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I'm going to have to dig through the product guide and give the Raidon a good looksee. Is there a price list for these forks anywhere?

mtbr member
    We had quite a few forks featured in the most recent buyers guide in Decline with pricing.

Nick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    We had quite a few forks featured in the most recent buyers guide in Decline with pricing.

Nick
    Screencaps from that article...

I'm interested in the Epicon-x1 LO-RC 29"

What's the deal with that one?

Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 01-08-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast