1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    A lot of people forget RockShox were in the same boat a number of years ago. The pendulum swings. Glad to hear we were able to get you on better equipment for a lot less $$$ than the traditional ways. Plus, you have a warranty!
    I'm new to mountain biking so I'm unfamiliar with this....when was RockShox in this boat?

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    I've been thinking about this upgrade, and wondering about the front axle.

Any chance of a seriously discounted front hub being implemented as part of a package deal ?
    I guess not, must be the response ... Time to stay with what I got, until it breaks/becomes unusable, then go with a brand that doesn't limit their upgrade policy to it's CONUS models, only

mtbr member
    The quick answer to your question would obviously be no as we are a fork manufacture and do not make any hubs or other components.

If you look closely at the industry,the 9mm open dropout is becoming very obsolete oh high end forks as other companies are offering just 1-2 select models or none at all with a 9mm option so this has little to do with what we decided to stock for the North American market. Anyone spending $500+ on a aftermarket fork will not be using a soon to be outdated standard.

Nick
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    If you look closely at the industry,the 9mm open dropout is becoming very obsolete oh high end forks as other companies are offering just 1-2 select models or none at all with a 9mm option so this has little to do with what we decided to stock for the North American market. Anyone spending $500+ on a aftermarket fork will not be using a soon to be outdated standard.

Nick

Are any Suntour representatives outside the U.S. working such an upgrade ?
    Shipping isn't a problem, and the 2013 catalog lists all the Radion's as having a 9mm axle - http://srsuntour-files.dbap.de/_publ...S-2K13-LOW.pdf
    page 31, 70, 71

mtbr member
    No, the upgrade program is something we offer in North America only.

Nick
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Has anyone ridden the raidon fork and can comment on the ride/quality? I'd like to take advantage of this, but would like some feedback from riders who've actually ridden that fork.

Cow Clicker
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member

Re: If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

Quote Originally Posted by Richgsr View Post
    Has anyone ridden the raidon fork and can comment on the ride/quality? I'd like to take advantage of this, but would like some feedback from riders who've actually ridden that fork.
    Did 6 miles on it yesterday, it was great. Very smooth, no bouncing and zero fatigue in my arms and palms. With the oem xcm fork, it was very bouncy and my palms would kill after about 30 minutes of riding.

I'm going on a 13 mile trip today with some friends and I'll be sure to report back in detail afterwards.

I just want to have more time on it before I give a concrete opinion.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Did 6 miles on it yesterday, it was great. Very smooth, no bouncing and zero fatigue in my arms and palms. With the oem xcm fork, it was very bouncy and my palms would kill after about 30 minutes of riding.

I'm going on a 13 mile trip today with some friends and I'll be sure to report back in detail afterwards.

I just want to have more time on it before I give a concrete opinion.

Keep in mind the only reference I have is the XCT fork that came on my bike, and being a low end product, is intended to sell on low end starter bikes to keep the price low. I don't blame Suntour for the lack of performance, as I know they are only filling orders that the bike manufacturers put on them. That said, for my weight and riding style...it was terrible.

After 20 miles on the bike, I am very pleased and happy with the fork. It is very plush and smooth and I no longer get rattled to death when going over a thick root system (I'm in Florida).

I've found myself having to adjust my technique in some areas. I used to hit certain tracks and I'd use the pogo stick ability of my oem fork as a spring and have it help me bounce over obstacles. The Raidon refuses to do that, as it just absorbs the hit and goes on its merry way. It's definitely much better than it was, I just wanted to comment on how vastly it improves the ride quality.

I found myself feeling MUCH more secure on extremely steep and fast drops. There's no more bouncing so it is so much easy to keep a straight line.

Rode for 3 hours solid today, and had almost zero fatigue in my arms and hands. With my last fork, I was constantly shaking my hands out and always adjusting my hold on the bars. Today, I didn't even notice it until after ride.

Another thing I noticed that I'm not sure about, mainly due to me being new to this sport, is that with the new fork, the bike tracks in a straight line so much better. It almost feels like when I ride my motorcycle, how it wants to go forward and it takes a small bit of effort to overcome that and enter a turn. I thinks it's due to the dropouts on the front wheel being further forward on this fork. It's a safe and secure feeling, and just feels better in general. I hope someone can explain to me what that is exactly.

I've replaced everything on my bike, aside from the wheelset and the frame, and this is easily the most noticeable and needed upgrade. My drivetrain is a very close second, but I did the fork and my drivetrain at the same time.

There is no reason for you to stick with the oem springy pogo stick that comes on lower end bikes. I know Suntour's come on Giant, Scotts, Specialized and Treks (probably all the lower end bikes for other manufacturers as well).

My buddy who I rode with today has a Specialized with a RockShox Reba on it, he rode my bike for about 3 miles and said he couldn't tell any significant differences between the two.

If your around 210 lbs, the sweetspot for preload is 140psi

For $175, there's is no reason you shouldn't upgrade.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 02-17-2013 at 06:49 AM.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

Cow Clicker

Fify

Keep in mind the only reference I have is the recreational trail riding XCT fork that my bike came with.

mtbr member

Keep in mind the only reference I have is the recreational trail riding XCT fork that my bike came with.
    Not sure what you mean with that haha
    Neveremind,

I get what you mean, and yes you're right. It is definitely a light use fork meant for recreational trail riding, and I don't blame Suntour for that. For my uses though, the stock fork was terrible.

Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 02-16-2013 at 08:20 PM.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Keep in mind the only reference I have is the crappy XCT fork that my bike came with.

After 20 miles on the bike, I am very pleased and happy with the fork. It is very plush and smooth and I no longer get rattled to death when going over a thick root system (I'm in Florida).

I've found myself having to adjust my technique in some areas. I used to hit certain tracks and I'd use the pogo stick ability of my oem fork as a spring and have it help me bounce over obstacles. The Raidon refuses to do that, as it just absorbs the hit and goes on its merry way. It's definitely much better than it was, I just wanted to comment on how vastly it improves the ride quality.

I found myself feeling MUCH more secure on extremely steep and fast drops. There's no more bouncing so it is so much easy to keep a straight line.

Rode for 3 hours solid today, and had almost zero fatigue in my arms and hands. With my last fork, I was constantly shaking my hands out and always adjusting my hold on the bars. Today, I didn't even notice it until after ride.

Another thing I noticed that I'm not sure about, mainly due to me being new to this sport, is that with the new fork, the bike tracks in a straight line so much better. It almost feels like when I ride my motorcycle, how it wants to go forward and it takes a small bit of effort to overcome that and enter a turn. I thinks it's due to the dropouts on the front wheel being further forward on this fork. It's a safe and secure feeling, and just feels better in general. I hope someone can explain to me what that is exactly.

I've replaced everything on my bike, aside from the wheelset and the frame, and this is easily the most noticeable and needed upgrade. My drivetrain is a very close second, but I did the fork and my drivetrain at the same time.

There is no reason for you to stick with the oem springy pogo stick that comes on lower end bikes. I know Suntour's come on Giant, Scotts, Specialized and Treks (probably all the lower end bikes for other manufacturers as well).

My buddy who I rode with today has a Specialized with a RockShox Reba on it, he rode my bike for about 3 miles and said he couldn't tell any significant differences between the two.

If your around 210 lbs, the sweetspot for preload is 140psi

For $175, there's is no reason you shouldn't upgrade.

So you have no problem being over 200 and using that fork? That's one problem I was afraid of with an Air fork as my i've seen people say that it's better to have a coil fork when you are heavier than 180 ish. I'm asking because im 195 and unsure what I could do.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    So you have no problem being over 200 and using that fork? That's one problem I was afraid of with an Air fork as my i've seen people say that it's better to have a coil fork when you are heavier than 180 ish. I'm asking because im 195 and unsure what I could do.
    Not so far at least. Max pressure is 180psi, and I'm only at 140 at 210lbs.

I looked at the dust marks on the stanchions after my ride and it was about .75" from bottoming out.

The stock fork was constantly bottoming out and the preload adjustment no longer works. After 2 months, I think I was just entirely too heavy for it and wore it out prematurely.

Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 02-17-2013 at 06:54 AM.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

Cow Clicker
    Check your owner's manual to see the recommended psi for your weight.

mtbr member

Check your owner's manual to see the recommended psi for your weight.
    I looked and could not find it anywhere

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nick, or anyone else that knows,

What's the difference between all the different Raidon forks offered on the website?

There are X1's, RO, LR, etc. I want to do this upgrade but want to make sure I pick the right fork.

Thanks,
    Rich

Cow Clicker
    Go here: SR SUNTOUR Cycling

Then click on the model you bought. Then click download owner's manual.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Not so far at least. Max pressure is 180psi, and I'm only at 140 at 210lbs.

I looked at the dust marks on the stanchions after my ride and it was about .75" from bottoming out.

The stock fork was constantly bottoming out and the preload adjustment no longer works. After 2 months, I think I was just entirely too heavy for it and wore it out prematurely.

I went on one of the more simple trails in the area with my xcm's preload set pretty high and i was like a half an inch from bottoming out and that was my first ride on it. It actually absorbed a couple of big bumps but they were not surrounded by anything then when there was obstacles like a lot of rocks in one place and it was throwing me all over. It lived up to its name as "pogo stick".

So you had no problem with the fork loosing any air either?

mtbr member

Go here: SR SUNTOUR Cycling

Then click on the model you bought. Then click download owner's manual.
    Yeah that's the same one that came with it, still no mention of a recommended pressure, just using a zip tie to set the sag, which is what I did and found that 140psi is perfect for me at 210lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    I went on one of the more simple trails in the area with my xcm's preload set pretty high and i was like a half an inch from bottoming out and that was my first ride on it. It actually absorbed a couple of big bumps but they were not surrounded by anything then when there was obstacles like a lot of rocks in one place and it was throwing me all over. It lived up to its name as "pogo stick".

So you had no problem with the fork loosing any air either?
    Just checked it about 5 minutes ago and still right at 140psi.

2014 Scott Scale 740

Cow Clicker
    It shouldn't lose any air unless it takes a catastrophic type hit.

mtbr member
    I want to do an upgrade to a Raidon from my SR XCM V3, but I'm unsure as to what will fit my bike well. I have a 26er Trek 4300 with a 19.5'' frame. What's the difference between the Raidon X1-RL-R 26' Air and the Raidon X1-LO-R 26' Air?
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Shoot Nick an email and his answer on this or the upgrade thread would be very useful.
    The Owners manual pdf is not very enlightening.

Cow Clicker
    Remote lock out and lockout.

mtbr member
    Remote lock out and lockout.
    Thanks, so I can live without remote lockout...normal lockout is good enough for me, unless there's not much of a price difference. How do I figure out if this fork will fit on my bike, supposing I decide on the Raidon X1-LO-R 26' Air...what measurements should I look at? (I'm still fairly new to MTB)

Thanks!
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

Cow Clicker
    Email Nick with a low-res or small picture of your bike, a pic of the receipt and the fork you want to buy. He, or someone at SunTour should be able to verify if it is appropriate for your bike.

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast