Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    I was just going to get the epicons now then upgrade the front wheel when I can.
    amazon has a epicon with 9mm qr

Amazon.com: 2012 13 SR Suntour EPICON X2 RLD MTB Fork 100mm Disc Remote Lockout Black: Sports & Outdoors
    Diamondback Overdrive Sport
    Airborne Sabre

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am not sure if you posted you wheel size. That is for a 26" and not a 29" bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    hmm wonder why they are cheaper then the upgrade price on amazon, makes me kinda nervous.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisonabike View Post
    I am not sure if you posted you wheel size. That is for a 26" and not a 29" bike.
    I got 26inch wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
    I have a 2013 Cannondale trail six, trying to decide to upgrade between the raidon and epicon. I know with the epicon I would have to upgrade my wheelset but I am curious of the travel of the Epicon. My current fork is 100mm of travel and I dont want to mess up the geometry of the bike.

Is the epicon capable of 100mm of travel?
    Hello,

The Epicon is available in 2 different platforms. First it can be ordered with a externally adjustable travel air cartridge. The travel is infinitely adjustable in a 40mm range. These forks are 150-110 or 140-100. This system is a little heavier by 120g over the fixed model but for those that need this option for there area it's really pretty cool.

We also have a fixed travel Epicon that has and internally adjustable travel option. These can be adjusted in 20mm increments our custom drilled for another setting. They come stock with drilled holes of 100-120-140.

Nick
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ok so i just purchased a Kona Mahuna, some one the forum suggested i take advantage of this opportunity and upgrade the Suntour XCT LO 100mm fork. Since the OEM fork wont last in my current weight class. What fork do you suggest for a hefty 350lbs person?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Its' my understanding that you only have two upgrade options to choose from, the Raidon and the Epicon unless they are out of one and at that point offer something else to fill the spot? The Epicon however is only available in the 15mm version here in the States so that has been the deciding factor for a lot of people unless you already have a 15mm hub or you want to buy new wheels too? There is a Suntour rep who posted just above you, (SRvancouver1) and you should send him a private message so he can answer any questions you have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I spoke to Nick from Suntour and ordered an Epicon 29er on Tuesday and received it on Friday.

The fork arrived in the 120mm setting. I followed the video process on the website and it was very straight forward. In total, it WOULD have taken me about 15 minutes from start to finish...but...getting the pin out was an issue. It wasn't an issue from a Suntour perspective, but I had difficulty locating a pin driver to push the adjustment pin out. Ace Hardware didn't carry the correct size, Home Depot didn't carry the correct size, the first bike shop I went to didn't have any pin drivers...none (that particular bike shop has never been very high on my list but it was close at the time and I figured it should be a simple thing), the second bike shop had closed just 4 minutes earlier...the third bike shop had the right pin driver (3/32) and it took about 30 seconds to move. After that, it was an easy process to finish it up. Had I not had to go around the world for a pin driver, the whole process would have taken about 15 minutes. All that to say that I am EXTREMELY impressed by the ease of taking the fork apart and how it has been compartmentalized. I have been working on forks for years and am used to the open bath system..it's messy, time consuming, and sometimes an extreme pain in the ass to get it all done correctly. Kudos to Suntour for this cartridge design.

I liked the QLoc and if I had a 15mm straight through hub, it would be a perfect system. Unfortunately, I have convertible hubs and hence have to find a way to remove the axle for future removals. I look forward to the redesigned qloc axle Nick mentioned will be released in the coming months and I'll be sure to get one when they are available.

A small note, I also like the allen bolt securing the cable routing. It's not so tiny as to be wimpy, flexy or easily strippable. Again...kudos.

The lock out works great, although I do wish the lever was made of aluminum instead of plastic, but it seems hearty enough to take abuse. I was also surprised that it only took 1/4 turn, as well as how easily it turned. I wondered if it would move on it's own it was so easy to turn, but I doubt it and I'm sure that's just an unfounded concern based on previous forks adjustments experience.

The rebound also works top notch. You can feel the adjustment through the 3 revolutions of the knob. I thought there would be more (again, from experience with previous forks), but I am actually very pleased that there wasn't 18 full turns. Fine tuning is one thing..minutia is another. 3 revolutions is plenty to get the rebound set with the adjustability the fork has. Kudos...again.

On the trail, I was blown away. The fork was incredibly plush over small bumps AND gave a great feel over large hits too (sag is set at 82% of travel...about 85 psi I think). I have it set on the 100mm travel option and it feels like it has a lot more. It felt so smooth. I wasn't expecting that at all. I recently purchased an X-Fusion Slide and that fork has taken quite a while to break in, as have some of my other forks. The Epicon felt ready to go from the first pedal stroke. I can't say enough how impressive the fork handled.

The fork weighed in at 3.96lbs with the steerer tube cut to 7.5 inches. That's an incredible weight for what is, in essence, a 120mm 29er fork.

The finish of the fork was also very nice, which to be honest, isn't a big deal to me personally...I want a fork to work, I'm not going to look at it while I ride...and to be sure, the Epicon works...and works very very well.

Anyway, thanks to Suntour and big thanks to Nick for offering this to the public. He is on top of this upgrade program in every way and Suntour is lucky to have such an ambdassdor working hard for them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    damn kinda wish i shelled out the extra for the epicon just to have the adjustment capability.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmetaz View Post
    damn kinda wish i shelled out the extra for the epicon just to have the adjustment capability.
    You can still adjust the Raidon, it's just a bit more involved. I'll see if I can track down mine and Nicks posts about it.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    I actually took my Raidon to my LBS for them to extend it to 120mm. I generally try to do things myself, but I figure there is a lot that can go wrong when you put a hammer in my hands to start taking things apart lol. Fgured I'd better leave this one to the pros, although after reading will-lee wonka's (love that username lol), I'm a little bummed since it sounds fairly straight forward. Oh well, I decided to err on the side of caution!

By the way Krunk, I recalled you and Nick talking adding heavyweight oil (80w) to the air chamber for larger riders. I am also in the 210-215 range and am planning on taking this step, I found 80w-90 gear oil; is that what you used?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaPanthers View Post
    I actually took my Raidon to my LBS for them to extend it to 120mm. I generally try to do things myself, but I figure there is a lot that can go wrong when you put a hammer in my hands to start taking things apart lol. Fgured I'd better leave this one to the pros, although after reading will-lee wonka's (love that username lol), I'm a little bummed since it sounds fairly straight forward. Oh well, I decided to err on the side of caution!

By the way Krunk, I recalled you and Nick talking adding heavyweight oil (80w) to the air chamber for larger riders. I am also in the 210-215 range and am planning on taking this step, I found 80w-90 gear oil; is that what you used?
    That is what I used.

Take off the cap, I think it's a 22mm and put 15cc (3 teaspoons is how I measured it) in there. Should get you around 80-85psi.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks Krunk! I figured that would be the stuff, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

Coincidentally, the guy at Advance Auto was also an avid biker and was surprised when I was talking about adding gear oil to the fork lol. Had to explain it was for the air chamber, not lubrication.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Per Nick I can upgrade my Giant Talon from a Suntour XCT fork to a Suntour Raidon LO R 29.

My question is, will the new Raidon LO R 29 fork be a huge upgrade for the price ($175). How much better does it perform over the XCT? Does it weight much less than the XCT?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
    Per Nick I can upgrade my Giant Talon from a Suntour XCT fork to a Suntour Raidon LO R 29.

My question is, will the new Raidon LO R 29 fork be a huge upgrade for the price ($175). How much better does it perform over the XCT? Does it weight much less than the XCT?
    There's not even a comparison, seriously. The Raidon is worlds better than the XCT. I have no idea what it weighs.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

The performance between the two isn't comparable, and what I've seen from specs on weight I believe the raidon weighs between 2100-2300 grams but I'm not sure my old Xcm weighed 2700 grams and didn't perform well
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Voodoo Hoodoo Review - BikeRadar
    SR Suntour Radion RLD Fork Review - BikeRadar

It was these two reviews that really convinced me that it was a legitimate fork. For the price you can't go wrong. There are forks that are lighter but you may end up paying 2-3x more. I have stated earlier that my friend that I ride with has a Trek Cobia that came with a Recon Silver. I would say that the ride of the Raidon is at least as good if not better than the Recon.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

Voodoo Hoodoo Review - BikeRadar
    SR Suntour Radion RLD Fork Review - BikeRadar

It was these two reviews that really convinced me that it was a legitimate fork. For the price you can't go wrong. There are forks that are lighter but you may end up paying 2-3x more. I have stated earlier that my friend that I ride with has a Trek Cobia that came with a Recon Silver. I would say that the ride of the Raidon is at least as good if not better than the Recon.
    I wanted to take advantage of the upgrade program, but for an additional $80 (with shipping) the 2+lb weight loss of going to the Recon Gold was too alluring. I would like to test one out though. Reviews seem great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It is my understanding that most most of the XCT and etc. style forks that we are all trying to get rid of weight in at around 2650g. I think that gold weighs in at around 1800g so you should loose a good 2 pounds. Considering that the Radion is all steel construction it is not too heavy. I think the 29er come in at 2100+g so most people should get a 1 lbs+ weight loss.
    The steel upper tubes vs. the aluminum on the gold should be a little stiffer. I paired the Raidon with a DT Swiss hub with a 9mm thru bolt that help stiffen up the front end a bunch.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

It is my understanding that most most of the XCT and etc. style forks that we are all trying to get rid of weight in at around 2650g. I think that gold weighs in at around 1800g so you should loose a good 2 pounds. Considering that the Radion is all steel construction it is not too heavy. I think the 29er come in at 2100+g so most people should get a 1 lbs+ weight loss.
    The steel upper tubes vs. the aluminum on the gold should be a little stiffer. I paired the Raidon with a DT Swiss hub with a 9mm thru bolt that help stiffen up the front end a bunch.
    My gold was 1728 before I cut the steerer tube, so I figure around 1700g once the tube was cut. I can't remember what my XCT was, I'll weigh it again today and post it up. Definitely worth the upgrade ($/g) , especially on a 33lb bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    My gold was 1728 before I cut the steerer tube, so I figure around 1700g once the tube was cut. I can't remember what my XCT was, I'll weigh it again today and post it up. Definitely worth the upgrade ($/g) , especially on a 33lb bike.
    +1 on the recon gold, the only reason i went with the gold because my bike was used and i didnt qualify for the upgrade program
    Diamondback Overdrive Sport
    Airborne Sabre

mtbr member

Placed the order for my Raidon today! My kona is sporting the xcr pogo that says right on it "for light cross country use".
    Can't wait to get it installed and try it out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    So where is everyone placing their order? I emailed Nick with Suntour but received an out of office reply that he's out from 5/2 to 5/13.

mtbr member

If you look at his auto response email there's a phone number at the bottom. Call and tell them you want to talk about the fork upgrade program.
    That's what I did, and it's supposed to ship Monday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hey_poolboy View Post
    If you look at his auto response email there's a phone number at the bottom. Call and tell them you want to talk about the fork upgrade program.
    That's what I did, and it's supposed to ship Monday.

I'll try that out then. It looked like it was his direct line.

mtbr member
    Just FYI,
    I went with the Epicon 26" 9mm from Amazon and imo it is badass. Was going to do the Raidon but couldn't resist rolling the dice for the extra weight savings of the Epicon.

It came straight from Tawian, probably fell off the back of a truck or something.

I had to contact the seller because the one I ordered, the pic was black, but after I ordered I noticed the description said white. He emailed me back in like 5 minutes saying he would send the black no problem. It took about 10 days including weekends. The same seller has them on Ebay as well.

Not to take away from the excellent program thier offering here, just more info on another potential option. I doubt I'll have the support system if I have problems with it, so that's something to consider.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Weighed my suntour XCT v3 100mm from my Talon 2 last night and it was 2650g. Fyi.

mtbr member
    I pm'ed Nick but was just curious if anyone on here knew before i hear back from him.....

I have a Trek Marlin with the G2 Geometry. Will any of the Radion's be ok on this bike or will it totally alter the Geometry?

mtbr member

What's your suspension length now? 80? I don't think 20mm would make a tremendous difference.

I called a week ago and they still haven't charged my card. I was hoping to have it to get it put on this weekend since it's too muddy to ride.

mtbr member
    its 100 I was wondering if there is any difference with any of the angles

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Your asking if the geometry would change if you put the exact same length of travel in there? If that is the case then no not at all
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    I didn't know if the forks have any degree to them or if they are all straight. I believe my fork has a label on that says G2 Geometry so I'm not sure if there is something specific to the fork or not (outside of the travel)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    There is a different offset to Treks fork. A little more 51 versus 46 or so to speed up steering response. But most riders don't notice much if any difference. You will notice more from the fork action.

mtbr member
    Thanks. That makes sense to me because I vaguely remember the salesman telling me the G2 helped the bike with steering to counteract the bigger wheels. So basically I wasn't sure if it would affect it or maybe even preventing me from upgrading the fork to anything that is not designed for that bike.

mtbr member
    That's determined more by the head angle on your frame.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

Cow Clicker
    Can someone clarify axle size for me please:

Raidon = 9mm
    Epicon = 15mm

Is that correct?
    Last edited by wmac; 05-14-2013 at 05:26 AM.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Can someone clarify axle size for me please:

Raidon = 9mm and 15mm
    Epicon = 15mm

Is that correct?
    Raidon is only 9mm. Otherwise that it correct
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Cow Clicker
    Corrected.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know where I can find out if my 2012 Marlin has a 9mm or 15mm axle. I can't find it on trek's site. I assume its 9mm because that seems to be the lower end but that's a blind guess really.

Cow Clicker
    If it's the same size as the rear, it's 9mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    Corrected.
    Raidon comes in both, per the SRSuntour website.

SR SUNTOUR Cycling
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Here I believe he's offering them in only 9mm but yes they are produced in both
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Corrected.
    Here I believe he's offering them in only 9mm but yes they are produced in both
    Ahh, yeah. Only the 9mm is available in the program I believe.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by burbskate View Post
    just installed mine today! A brief call to Nick to confirm the right size fork (someone put a 26" sticker on my 29" fork! Collector's Item!!!) ...

Went on easy - my first fork install. Didn't know I needed a new star-bolt thingy ... ran up to the LBS to get one. Picked up a pipe cutter. Measured my old fork and tried to get the same distance. My pipe cutter kept wanting to go all over the place. Got close to the length and it was OK. Almost forgot to transfer the crown bearing - it pried up pretty easy.

Really - it was simple. Scary to cut the tube, but really ... if you are even a LITTLE mechanically inclined - try it. Probably took all of a half hour of work.

The fork was on my list of upgrades for this year. Also added used Saint shifters. Used XT rear derail. Bontrager bolt on grips. SRAM PG990 cassette. Upgrading the crankset and BB next. Still all under $400 for upgrade.

Now if I can only find those 4 bb's that I lost from my Shimano pedals!

Attachment 782349
    Is that the 2012 Scott Aspect Tour? Same bike I own and am thinking about upgrading the fork as well.

mtbr member
    Hello Everyone,

Firstly, I want to personally thank everyone that has been involved in this discussion along with those that have taken advantage of the program. We are in the process of revising the program but before we settle on all of the specifics I would like to pose a few questions to the forum members here.

What would you like to see available from the program? Does upgrading need to be easier in terms of purchasing the fork? Is there a particular model or style of fork that we were not offering that should be available? I realize the first thing on most minds will be the availability of a Epicon with a 9mm option. We will not be able to offer this as SR Suntour is no longer offering this configuration for MY2014 and MY2014 are the forks currently in production.

Anyway. Thanks again for making this a success and we look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Nick Hannah-Moore
    Service and Warranty

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hey Nick,

Personally, I thought the order process was crazy easy. I got my receipt and serial #, contacted you and you had the deal done in 2 days from start to finish. I've had harder times checking out at Wal Mart. ;-)

I'll also add that you have been extremely helpful in answering ALL of my questions, from informational to technical.

I couldn't be more pleased with the transaction or the fork (Epicon 29er).

Thanks for all you do and know that you have helped introduce me to the merits of Suntour forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Firstly, I want to personally thank everyone that has been involved in this discussion along with those that have taken advantage of the program. We are in the process of revising the program but before we settle on all of the specifics I would like to pose a few questions to the forum members here.

What would you like to see available from the program? Does upgrading need to be easier in terms of purchasing the fork? Is there a particular model or style of fork that we were not offering that should be available? I realize the first thing on most minds will be the availability of a Epicon with a 9mm option. We will not be able to offer this as SR Suntour is no longer offering this configuration for MY2014 and MY2014 are the forks currently in production.

Anyway. Thanks again for making this a success and we look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Nick Hannah-Moore
    Service and Warranty

Mine was super easy when I ordered. I've been completely satisfied since.

One question I do have, do you plan to manufacture any 650b forks?
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Krunk,

We have several to choose from currently and more on the way. We will be making 27.5 forks for OEM right down to our XCT model believe it or not.

Currently we have available the Axon Werx, Epicon and soon the Auron. The Epicon will be the go to fork I think for most as it has the best value/performance option of the 3.

The Auron will be a dedicated 27.5 fork only and aimed at the Enduro segment of the market. Time will tell if this becomes our go to fork as it has some really great features and it is being ridden by Pro's currently on World Enduro Cup. Cedric Garcia being one indivdual : )

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Update on the Epicon 29er:

I've been able to put some real miles on this fork now (100+ of hard arizona chunky rock miles) and I have to say I am very impressed.

Although the fork only has air adjustment for the main spring (no high speed or low speed specific compression adjustments), it handles the tiny bumps and big bumps equally with ease. It's almost freakish how the fork can handle both extremes so well. Typically, even with my fox foks, without the low/high speed compression, you give on one side or the other. Either the fork is sensitive over tiny bumps but blows out on big hits, or it absorbs big hits well, but feels locked out with every little bump chattering your teeth out. This fork does an incredible job of taking both in stride.

The weight of the fork is less than 4lbs...amazing.

The stiffness of the fork is eye opening. I don't know if it's the 15mm TA or just the fork stanchions/crown...or maybe a mixture of it all, but it's stiff laterally. I didn't even know what I was missing until I was able to feel the difference myself. And that stiffness combined with the plushness of travel, makes the fork track incredibly well and accurate.

The rebound is very nice and controls the fork nicely with a wide range of adjustment.

Personally, I like the fact that the lockout isn't remote. I don't want something else cluttering up my handlebar...and it's very easy to simply reach down and turn the knob a 1/4 turn.

My complaints on the fork....
    1. the thru axle design. While I will totally admit that the spring loaded thru axle design is genius and works incredible...it's also a flaw seeing if you have convertible hubs (which I do). However, I was informed that there is a redesign in the works with new axles to be coming out soon. I look forward to this new design to take away any misgivings I have due to difficulty removing the axle with convertible hubs.
    2. the lock out lever. The lock out lever is very smooth and easy to move...to a fault. I have found it very easy to simply brush up against it and flip the switch to lockout with noticing it. IMO, there should be more resistance in the turn to prevent accidental lockouts. This has happened to me on maybe a half dozen instances now, and although irritating, I can still admit that it's a bit of user error, but that's something I think could be minimized with a stronger resisting lever.

Anyway, I hold the Epicon 29er in very high regard. In terms of performance, it blows away my X-Fusion Slide and is even better than my Manitou Tower Pro. If you have a chance to get the Epicon, go fo it, you will not be disappointed.

mtbr member
    I put in an order yesterday. Now awaiting for when I can get my GT Avalanche back on the trails. Pretty easy process to get the upgrade.

mtbr member

I'm still awaiting the arrival of my fork. It's on b.o.
    However, I have no complaints about the process. They made it very easy.
    I anxiously await the arrival of my raidon so I can get it on and try it out!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thank you for sharing this cool post,it is useful for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm confused. Has the current upgrade program terminated? I have a 2 year old specialized hard rock blue 29er with the basic sun tour fork? Obviously upgrading would be a major improvement--john in bend oregon

mtbr member
    Hello Everyone,

Best regards,

Nick Hannah-Moore
    Service and Warranty
    I wonder what "revisions" this will include. I'm interested but I'm not 100% sure how much of an upgrade the Raidion air will be over my stock xcm and if its worth the 200 bucks or if I should save the money and go for a better shock.

I'm finding these prices to be similar to prices on ebay but obviously if the price is the same I would deal with Suntour over Ebay anyday.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi, im in the same boat just baught a new 13 hardrock sport disk 29er with a suntour xcr fork (I think) how much of an upgrade will the raidon be or if I could even go for the Epicon will they fit ?
    mostly just for XC.

mtbr member
    If your Hardrock only has a 9mm qr up front then you would need a new hubset to get anything other then the Raidon.

mtbr member
    Hi.

The Raidon should not be underestimated just because of it's cost. I think if you read the general reviews of the folks that have posted here you will see that the Raidon is a very worthy upgrade over our base models and is a high performance fork. It certainly isn't the lightest fork we make but it sure has a ton of great features at the retail price point not to mention the discounted pricing through the upgrade program.

Nick

mtbr member
    Love my Raidon.

Cost was $175, has lockout and rebound adjust. It's a very good fork.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Hi.

The Raidon should not be underestimated just because of it's cost. I think if you read the general reviews of the folks that have posted here you will see that the Raidon is a very worthy upgrade over our base models and is a high performance fork. It certainly isn't the lightest fork we make but it sure has a ton of great features at the retail price point not to mention the discounted pricing through the upgrade program.

Nick
    Yep! Great fork! It was like day and night switching from the XCM v3 to the Raidon Air!
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    That's what I want to hear. Anyone else out there go to the Raidon Air?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I agree. Upgrading the fork was night and day and the raidon has made riding so much more fun out on the trails. It offers a much more stable feeling ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Me long ago. Very good manufacturing. Just be warned you may have to lube wiper seals every 5 or so rides. Great fork much better than The Xcm
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Merendon Junkie
    Me long ago. Very good manufacturing. Just be warned you may have to lube wiper seals every 5 or so rides. Great fork much better than The Xcm
    I also have a raidon fork, its a night and day difference compared the XCR. The xcr is a much better fork than the xcm btw. A per lubing the wiper seals, I changed the grease based lube of the lowers to oil like the rock shox forks, and now the raidon is as smooth as you could ever want a fork to be. No stiction whatsoever. I also added oil soaked foam ring just below the dust wipers.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I really wanna do this upgrade, but can't seem to get through to anyone at Suntour. I've emailed, called, and left messages. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_E_Fresh View Post
    I really wanna do this upgrade, but can't seem to get through to anyone at Suntour. I've emailed, called, and left messages. Any suggestions?
    send a PM to Nick

mtbr member
    It took a little while but Nick got back to me after a few days. I'm still on the fence. I have a Trek Marlin with G2 geometry so going through this program would alter that set up.....but buying a G2 fork would be significantly more expensive

mtbr member
    Looking for "starting" front fork air pressure for a 165-170 lb rider? Anyone recommendations?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am running 72-73 psi at 175 pounds. I set it sup to get a full 20 mm of sag when sitting still. That may be a good starting point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    Looking for "starting" front fork air pressure for a 165-170 lb rider? Anyone recommendations?
    Whatever your proper sag ends up being.

Wrap a zip tie loosely (tight enough to stay where it ends up though) around one of the stanchions, and then start airing up the fork. You want around 1" of sag on a 100mm fork with you just sitting on it. Sit on it gently, and hold yourself up, and get up trying not to jar the suspension and measure it.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Forks currently available through this program include the following SR Suntour models
    • Raidon LO R Air Disc Blk 26” $150.00
    • Raidon LO R Air Disc Blk 29” $175.00
    • Epicon TAD 15Qlc 150-110 Disc Blk/White 26” $250.00
    • Epicon LO R 15Qlc White 29” $275.00
    • Axon RL 15Qlc Blk/White 26” $300.0

Hola fellow riders, 3 questions any answer would be great and much appreciated!

1-I've read Nick's post stating changes are coming (like winter, GOT reference) anyone have any updates regarding changes to these forks being offered?

2-yeah about this mythical axel size, where the hell is this at? read the manual and went to the cannondale website and can't find it? (I have a 2013 trail 6 29er, her name is Minerva)

3-Seems like the Epicon in the popular choice, I do mostly single trail, tech routes, lots of mini hills and lots of roots (hate them so much) I've started riding 3 times a week, is this a good choice for me as well to upgrade the epic XCT that same stock?

Thanks all, I know we noobsters appreciate all your feed back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Cannondale trail 6 is what I have your only option without upgrading ur wheel and hub to 15mm Axle is the raidon. This upgrade would cost a hundred some bucks. You currently have 9mm QR axle.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply Strife,

Is there any benefit to me upgrading to 15mm axel? If not then Raidon it is! Once my XCT dies on me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yes I think it makes the front end stiffer. I dont know how much benefit you and I would see on our Trail 6's having the 15mm axle tho since we only have a 1 1/8in head set. SL model trail's have a 1.5 inch and I think the 15mm axle might make more of a difference with them.

How crazy are the trails your riding?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    From this thread tho it seems everyone is really liking their Raidon's. Seems to be a worthy upgrade especially if your not doing super hardcore stuff.

mtbr member
    Ah, hmm doesn't seem worth it then.

Not too crazy compared to some of the trails I've see posted here, But pretty cool.

Highway to Hell Trail - Virginia Key MTB Trails - YouTube Last one I did, that kicked my butt...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Anyone have one of these forks on back order? Have you heard any news? I can't keep bugging Nick or he'll likely cancel my order, haha.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sternomac View Post
    Anyone have one of these forks on back order? Have you heard any news? I can't keep bugging Nick or he'll likely cancel my order, haha.
    No Fork For You!!!! Ha.

All, thanks for being patient. We just received paperwork from customs in Seattle. We expect the forks here on Friday or Monday. Back orders will begin shipping middle of the week.

Nick

mtbr member
    I have been VERY happy with my Radion Air 29er. Very much an upgrade from the XCM I had. My only complaint is that the rebound adjuster came out. But Nick shipped me out a new one. I also seem to have lost the lock out dial on a recent race.

I've found I like the fast rebound over slow.

Now I need to get a shock pump so I can play with the air pressure a little more. I let a little air out recently and liked the more plush feel. But not sure what I'm at.

mtbr member
    Burbskate,

We have the lock out levers available if you need a new one. Give us a call to place the order.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Nick,
    I have the Raidon lo air 29. I want to change the travel length from the stock 100mm to 120mm. From the Workshop manual that I downloaded from Suntour it shows removing both spacers to get up to 140mm of travel. Can this be done with this fork? After I disassembled my fork I saw there are two spacers in mine so if I remove both I can get 140mm out of this fork? Or was this only for the older forks since the manual is for the 08/09 forks not the current model?

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by burbskate View Post
    I also seem to have lost the lock out dial on a recent race.

I think there is somewhat of a design flaw with the lockout tab. If its not open all the way and you bottom out your fork, the bridge will hit the little tab on the lock out dial and pop it off. It happened to me once but luckily I saw it fall and pressed it back in. I was thinking of filing off a piece of the plastic tab so it wont hit, but instead im just making sure its all the way open all the time (except when I lock it out completely). I has not popped off again.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    The Raidon's are 80-100-120 travel and each spacer will represent that travel. The Raidon is only designed to have a maximum travel of 120.

3=80
    2=100
    1-120

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ok, so I need to leave the one spacer in. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Is there a way to replace the rebound adjustment knob on a Raidon? I bought my fork in March and it fell off after a few rides. It would be nice to be able to change the fork to help match the terrain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    No Fork For You!!!! Ha.

All, thanks for being patient. We just received paperwork from customs in Seattle. We expect the forks here on Friday or Monday. Back orders will begin shipping middle of the week.

Nick
    Thanks for the reply Nick. Looking forward to thrashing some trails with a real fork.

mtbr member
    Chrisonabike, we have the part you are looking for. Give us a call to order one up.

Nick-360-737-6450

mtbr member
    Hi Nick,

i am about to buy a Durolux sf12 with a 20mm QLOCK. I am Looping at the 2013 Model.
    I've heard that the QLOCK axle doesn't work well with certain hubs, because of the collar jamming up when removing the wheel.

I think I also heard something about a new axle to remedy this.
    Is that the case for the 2013 model already or do I have to pay attention which hub to buy?

Greetings and thanks
    Franz

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I just ordered a Gravity 29FS for my wife who is 5'2" and 115 lbs. Will the suntour fork be ok for her? I have the Gravity 29 with stiff forks coming for me btw.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gr4474 View Post
    I just ordered a Gravity 29FS for my wife who is 5'2" and 115 lbs. Will the suntour fork be ok for her? I have the Gravity 29 with stiff forks coming for me btw.
    I have the FS. It will work with the Raidon. Just make sure you specify that you want the 9mm axle version. Anything else and you'd have to get new hubs.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW it may be useful to include a link of the bike so people who don't know what it is can help you. Or just email Nick. His email is in this thread.

Still hoping mine ships this week. Hopefully it do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I don't think I can specify an axle size, but I could be wrong. Here's the link:
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed 29er Mountain Bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I don't think I can specify an axle size, but I could be wrong. Here's the link:
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed 29er Mountain Bikes
    You don't specify the axle size on the bike. You have to buy the fork that works for your bike, which is to say, 9mm unless you change your hub. So you cannot buy the Epicon that has a 15mm QR unless you want to also buy new hubs.

Nick said they were making changes to what forks were available so he may offer more insight as to which forks will be offered with 9mm options moving forward.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The fork comes with the bike already, sooooooo...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The fork comes with the bike already, sooooooo...
    Dude...you're asking about buying a new fork are you not?

I'm talking to you about the fork you want to buy...not the one you already have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

This deal must be dead. The info I just received now says the 26 inch Raidon LO R Air is $190. I haven't looked but I have to believe that is close to retail price and makes this no longer a deal. At $150 it was a great deal.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sternomac View Post
    Dude...you're asking about buying a new fork are you not?

I'm talking to you about the fork you want to buy...not the one you already have.
    No I was just asking if the suntour fork that is coming with the bike would be ok for my wife.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    No I was just asking if the suntour fork that is coming with the bike would be ok for my wife.
    A) probably not the right thread.

B) well that all depends what type of riding, the skill level, and what she wants out of a fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

The XCT that comes on that bike isn't very good for offroad riding at all, granted it will be a little stiffer for her as she doesn't weigh much. Something with rebound dampening and better construction will perform better.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Would it be better than a stiff fork, or better to lock the fork?

The order is taking so long to ship, that my black g29 is all of a sudden "out of stock". I'm frustrated with bikes direct, and they take forever to reply to emails. The process is soooo slow because of that. I was set on a black frame, but maybe I could go with the G29FS in Navy with the suntour fork...that is if they don't sell out before they finally reply again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

The XCT that comes on that bike isn't very good for offroad riding at all, granted it will be a little stiffer for her as she doesn't weigh much. Something with rebound dampening and better construction will perform better.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just bought a new fork, a Epicon X1. It is 1.5 to 1-1/8 taper so had to also get a new lower for my headset. I have a Zero Stack head tube so had to get a conversion bottom to make it work. I used a Cane Creek 40 EC44/40 Conversion Bottom. This is Ok though because i really wanted the 1.5 tube for the extra stiffness. I am sure this fork is going to be a vast improvement over my Suntour mg90 fork i have now. I got it for cheap to use until I was able to upgrade to something better. So now just waiting for it to arrive.
    Last edited by jsc3582; 06-20-2013 at 06:11 AM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 176