Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    squish, squish in da fish
    ^^^ dont forget a crown race if you cant salvage your existing one

mtbr member
    Hi All,

Our cartridges are serviceable but only for a qualified technician and that typically means here at our HQ. We service cartidges occassionally to modify a cartridge for a WERX rider if they want something that isn't stock. If these modifications serve there purpose we send the data to Taiwan for it to be implemented in new cartridges. Because the cartridges are easily removed (this is our Quick Service Product technology) in a ideal world if there was a problem with a cartridge the end user can just call and get a replacment, install it and send us the old one and use it as a back up. That's a pretty cool concept in my book. No one likes being without there bike for long.

There are people out in the "real world" doing this stuff on their own but once the internals of the cartidges have been modified in any manner this is a voided warranty as we cannot support it. If you visit our main website, srsuntour-cycling.com you can view several video's that go over the basic maintenance that I posted above. The work is really easy and even a full tear down in service #2 can be done by anyone with even a little mechanical experience. This is just standard maintenance like oiling a chain and inflating tyres.

N.
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    ^^^ dont forget a crown race if you cant salvage your existing one
    What's a crown race?
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NFLcheesehead1 View Post
    What's a crown race?
    Pressed bearing race on the crown

AOL On - How to Install a Fork Crown Race and Steering Tube

mtbr member
    Gotcha, thanks for that link. I'll probably end up taking it to the shop so I know everything is installed properly. Last time I tried my own maintenance, I ended up making a $200 mistake! Not gonna let that happen again...But as far as the fork fitting on my bike, there shouldn't be a problem, right?
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NFLcheesehead1 View Post
    Gotcha, thanks for that link. I'll probably end up taking it to the shop so I know everything is installed properly. Last time I tried my own maintenance, I ended up making a $200 mistake! Not gonna let that happen again...But as far as the fork fitting on my bike, there shouldn't be a problem, right?
    Take Nicks advice above mine, but the forks use a standard steerer tube, and your trek uses a standard steerer tube.

Also, if the XCM fits your bike, so will the Raidon. That's the same jump I made.

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    Hi All,

Our cartridges are serviceable but only for a qualified technician and that typically means here at our HQ. We service cartidges occassionally to modify a cartridge for a WERX rider if they want something that isn't stock. If these modifications serve there purpose we send the data to Taiwan for it to be implemented in new cartridges. Because the cartridges are easily removed (this is our Quick Service Product technology) in a ideal world if there was a problem with a cartridge the end user can just call and get a replacment, install it and send us the old one and use it as a back up. That's a pretty cool concept in my book. No one likes being without there bike for long.

There are people out in the "real world" doing this stuff on their own but once the internals of the cartidges have been modified in any manner this is a voided warranty as we cannot support it. If you visit our main website, srsuntour-cycling.com you can view several video's that go over the basic maintenance that I posted above. The work is really easy and even a full tear down in service #2 can be done by anyone with even a little mechanical experience. This is just standard maintenance like oiling a chain and inflating tyres.

N.
    Just as I understood - really cool stuff, Nick, I really like the QSP technology.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Cow Clicker
    Krunk,

You are running way too much air pressure for your weight. What you are looking for is a more progressive fork that doesn't use up all the sag in the forks initial travel. I would recommend the following to make the fork work better.

Release the air pressure from the top cap schrader valve
    Unscrew the top cap with a 27mm six sided socket
    At this time you have opened up the air chamber.
    Install 15cc of heavy weight oil (80W is what we install from the factory. can be found at your local auto store) add more later if it is not enough.

This will decrease the air volume in the fork making it require less air but giving you a more firm initial compression.
    A rider of your weight should need no more than 80-90 psi when set at 20% sag and the correct air volume.

Nick
    Nick: This simple procedure outlined above should give a rider the ability to tune the fork, correct?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Nick: This simple procedure outlined above should give a rider the ability to tune the fork, correct?
    I plan to do this, I like the idea of less air pressure, I'm just wondering why I did it as the manual told me and then I was told I'm doing it wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Take Nicks advice above mine, but the forks use a standard steerer tube, and your trek uses a standard steerer tube.

Also, if the XCM fits your bike, so will the Raidon. That's the same jump I made.
    Sweet, thanks for your input! I'll probably order the fork in the next couple days. Looking forward to a better ride!

mtbr member
    Yes. The air cartridge is fully serviceable by anyone and can be adjusted to fit riders need ie more or less progressive feel.

It is only the lockout/rebound/compression cartridges that are serviceable at authorized center.

mtbr member
    Hi Krunk,

It's not that you are doing it wrong. You followed the advice of the manual to a T.
    What I have described is a more elaborate and better way to make the fork work for your weight and riding style.
    This is the advantage of having a serviceable air system versus a stock spring rated coil or an air system that isn't serviceable

N.

mtbr member
    Hi Krunk,

It's not that you are doing it wrong. You followed the advice of the manual to a T.
    What I have described is a more elaborate and better way to make the fork work for your weight and riding style.
    This is the advantage of having a serviceable air system versus a stock spring rated coil or an air system that isn't serviceable

N.
    Ahh gotcha.

I interpreted the "You're pressure is way to high" as it was wrong.

Excellent. Thank you for the further advice!

It really is a great fork, couldn't be happier with it so far.

mtbr member
    @Krunk_Kracker what fork did you get?

mtbr member

Re: If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

Quote Originally Posted by burbskate View Post
    @Krunk_Kracker what fork did you get?
    Raidon X1 LO-R 29" with 9mm drop out.

:edit:

This one http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/dst...26%27+air.html

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 02-21-2013 at 05:52 PM.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    good looks krunk! i'm looking to take advantage of this too, raidon in 26"

Cow Clicker
    Check post #53

mtbr member
    My Giant 2012 talon 2 came with the XCT V3 fork. I emailed Nick and am hoping to upgrade to the best SR fork that will fit. Do you guys think upgrading from the XCT V3 to the Raidon is worth doing? I dont think the Epicon will fit as I need a 9mm QR.

mtbr member
    Desert, from what I understand, yes.

The XCT line is quite low budget and not the bes forks out there. The raidon is nicely adjustable air for and does its job better than the XCT.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by DesertGiant View Post
    My Giant 2012 talon 2 came with the XCT V3 fork. I emailed Nick and am hoping to upgrade to the best SR fork that will fit. Do you guys think upgrading from the XCT V3 to the Raidon is worth doing? I dont think the Epicon will fit as I need a 9mm QR.
    Unless you have terrible drivetrain, it's the first upgrade you should do IMO

2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaPanthers View Post
    Desert, from what I understand, yes.

The XCT line is quite low budget and not the bes forks out there. The raidon is nicely adjustable air for and does its job better than the XCT.

I have the XCT V3 on a Mongoose 29er... It really hasn't been that bad of a fork (I used it all summer without any complaints), but i have noticed some leaking (never really investigated) oil/grease from the bottom of one of the legs. Not sure if this is normal behavior or not, but I didn't care because I knew I would upgrade once I bought a new wheelset. I have the new wheelset (Stans/Hope Pro II) so I want a fork that is either 15mm or 20mm... no 9mm qr... Of course I've been leaning RockShox Reba (RL/RLT)...but that is a few bones to throw down, although resale is excellent. Thoughts?

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

You can get an Epicon for $250 with 15mm ta with the upgrade program through suntour... Unless you aren't on a budget, in which case the Reba is freaking nice!

mtbr member
    Raidon X1 LO-R 29" with 9mm drop out.

:edit:

This one SR SUNTOUR Cycling

I think that's the one I'll be going with too.

mtbr member
    I looked thru the manual, but I don't see a way to adjust the travel. It says 120 - 100 ... anybody know how that is done? Or am I misunderstanding.

Cow Clicker
    Which fork?

mtbr member

I
    Krunk,

Release the air pressure from the top cap schrader valve
    Unscrew the top cap with a 27mm six sided socket
    At this time you have opened up the air chamber.
    Install 15cc of heavy weight oil (80W is what we install from the factory. can be found at your local auto store) add more later if it is not enough.

This will decrease the air volume in the fork making it require less air but giving you a more firm initial compression.
    A rider of your weight should need no more than 80-90 psi when set at 20% sag and the correct air volume.

Nick
    Just did this today, I used 90w gear oil.

I'm right at 85psi with proper sag. Going on a short trip tomorrow with the fiancee so I'll report back how it feels on the trails.

For anyone else that is wanting to do this, 15cc = 3 teaspoons.

Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 02-23-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member

Put 15 really hard miles on it today with 85psi in the fork. It never bottomed out, even with hard landings and 3ft drops. I was standing most of the run too, so that was even more weight on the front.

I also noticed a considerable less amount of stiction on the initial compression, compared to when it was running a higher psi.

My only issue is, I think I may have to actually use the lockout on steep climbs, as the first inch or so of travel is very soft and plush. Not a bad thing, just something I'll have to adjust too.

So far I'm impressed.

Had two different people comment on the fork at the trailhead as well. They seemed to like it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2014 Scott Scale 740

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertGiant View Post
    From the MTBR Hot Deals advertisements - ROCK SHOX RECON GOLD TK AIR 29er Mtb Suspension Fork

I'm ordering one tomorrow, due to no upgrade path from Suntour for a 9mm QR.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    From the MTBR Hot Deals advertisements - ROCK SHOX RECON GOLD TK AIR 29er Mtb Suspension Fork

I'm ordering one tomorrow, due to no upgrade path from Suntour for a 9mm QR.
    What do you mean no upgrade path for a 9mm QR?

2014 Scott Scale 740

banned
    Aug 2012
    What do you mean no upgrade path for a 9mm QR?

It's what's in this thread, and confirmed via Nick, unless I'm not understanding things correctly.
    As I understand it, if you are running 9mm, you'll need to upgrade a wheel to get anything out of this upgrade path.

Prove me wrong, please !!!
    Save me some money.

mtbr member

It's what's in this thread, and confirmed via Nick, unless I'm not understanding things correctly.
    As I understand it, if you are running 9mm, you'll need to upgrade a wheel to get anything out of this upgrade path.

Save me some money.
    I'm running the Raidon LO-R air in 9mm QR

2014 Scott Scale 740

Cow Clicker

Save me some money.
    As mentioned earlier, Suntour USA doesn't distribute 9mm QR Raidon forks. Glad you found a fork to suit your desires.

mtbr member

As mentioned earlier, Suntour USA doesn't distribute 9mm QR Raidon forks. Glad you found a fork to suit your desires.
    Er.... Not true at all.

2014 Scott Scale 740

banned
    Aug 2012
    I'll let you 2 argue this out.

mtbr member

I'll let you 2 argue this out.
    Nothing to argue about.

I'm in the USA and have a Raidon LO-R air with 9mm qr

They don't offer the Epicon in 9mm QR in the states, only 15mm

2014 Scott Scale 740

Cow Clicker
    Sorry, you are correct - my mistake.

mtbr member

Nothing to be sorry about :-)

2014 Scott Scale 740

banned
    Aug 2012
    So, are you saying Suntour does have an upgrade for a 9mm QR ?

I've been under the impression, based on earlier posts, that they do not, and Nick seemed to confirm this.

I mean,
    I actually took it to mean that my cheap XTC fork was just that, and I should have bought a better bike, if I wanted to upgrade ... Something about the upgrade fork being worth the price of my entire bike.

Thing is, I didn't buy this ... I traded an old road bike for a new Low End MTB.

mtbr member

So, are you saying Suntour does have an upgrade for a 9mm QR ?

I've been under the impression, based on earlier posts, that they do not, and Nick seemed to confirm this.

I mean,
    I actually took it to mean that my cheap XTC fork was just that, and I should have bought a better bike, if I wanted to upgrade ... Something about the upgrade fork being worth the price my entire bike.
    I paid $175 for my upgrade and it's worth it.

And yes, they do have an upgrade path for you.

2014 Scott Scale 740

banned
    Aug 2012
    I paid $175 for my upgrade and it's worth it.

So there is an upgrade path for a 9mm QR ?

I guess this is (perhaps) what happens when others speak for a company representative, and the Rep gets involved after someone else promotes their companies idea, as expessed in another thread.

IMO,
    The OP should turn control of this thread over to the Suntour Rep, and let him (Nick) express what is available within the first post.

mtbr member

I guess this is (perhaps) what happens when others speak for a company representative, and the Rep gets involved after someone else promotes their companies idea, as expessed in another thread.

IMO,
    The OP should turn control of this thread over to the Suntour Rep, and let him (Nick) express what is available within the first post.
    Haha.... YES THERE IS!

Give Nick a call tomorrow and he can walk you through the purchase.

2014 Scott Scale 740

banned
    Aug 2012
    Haha.... YES THERE IS!

Give Nick a call tomorrow and he can walk you through the purchase.

I'll call him, and also mention that he should be promoting this offer, and not a forum member who thinks they are doing people a favor.

There's a lot of confusion that needn't happen, and I'll bet I'm not alone ... Heck, Nick even told me NO, but never said a thing about why, other than there is no path for a 9mm QR.
    If he mentioned a particular fork ... It sure got missed in the conversation.

If what you're saying is true, and I hove no reason not to believe you ... I guess Nick didn't even understand the question.

mtbr member

I'll call him, and also mention that he should be promoting this offer, and not a forum member who thinks they are doing people a favor.

There's a lot of confusion that needn't happen, and I'll bet I'm not alone ... Heck, Nick even told me NO, but never said a thing about why, other than there is no path for a 9mm QR.

If what you're saying is true, and I hove no reason not to believe you ... I guess Nick didn't even understand the question.
    Zoom in on this pic and you can see the 9mm drop outs.

2014 Scott Scale 740

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

The Raidon has a 9 mm qr. And Nick is a busy guy who has done a lot to promote this in several other threads. I don't think he should be panned for not checking in on this thread after every reply. He has clearly stated to call or email him to get the ball rolling on the upgrade program.

Cow Clicker

IMO,
    Hey azzhole, you and Nick had this conversation between the two of you when the mistaken statement was made. Check the posts.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

I wish I could + rep you forever.

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I wish I could + rep you forever.
    I wish I could - rep Bikeabuser forever.

mtbr member

In an attempt to calm this thread, calling SR Suntour directly will solve all these issues.

2014 Scott Scale 740

banned
    Aug 2012
    Hey azzhole, you and Nick had this conversation between the two of you when the mistaken statement was made. Check the posts.
    Yea, sorry that you put yourself in the position of promoting His product line ... And thanks for the name calling.

P.S.
    Love the consume avatar

Cow Clicker
    Yea, sorry that you put yourself in the position of promoting His product line ... And thanks for the name calling.

P.S.
    Love the consume avatar
    Uh, I promoted a program for people like you who could take advantage of it. Until you came in here and confused everyone with your incessant badgering of Nick in the forum, doing things like asking Suntour to sell you things they don't sell (Hubs), all I did was suggest everyone email or call Nick.

You're welcome for the name calling, your passive aggressive, round about way of calling me out deserved it.

P.S. Hate the Redrum avatar.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast