1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    We do not import the Epicon series fork with 9mm. As mentioned above forks at this price ($500+) are best to use 15mm thru axle.

Nick
    Blast.

I'd have to upgrade my wheelset to accomodate that.

Looks like I'll be ordering whatever the best Raidon is you guys have to offer, just as soon as income tax comes in

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    Blast.

I'd have to upgrade my wheelset to accomodate that.

Looks like I'll be ordering whatever the best Raidon is you guys have to offer, just as soon as income tax comes in
    or you can also check ebay, I found a Epicon fork with 9mm QR for around $200. I was planning on buying it, but plans changed.

Here's the link if your interested.
    Bi King New SR Suntour Epicon RL R Remote Lockout Disk Fork White CH06C | eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hOlykamOtie* View Post
    or you can also check ebay, I found a Epicon fork with 9mm QR for around $200. I was planning on buying it, but plans changed.

Here's the link if your interested.
    Bi King New SR Suntour Epicon RL R Remote Lockout Disk Fork White CH06C | eBay
    They're all 26ers and I'm not sure how much I trust that. The manufacturer said they don't make the Epicon in 9mm skewer yet there they are. Seems a little odd

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Is it an international sale? He just said they don't import them with a 9mm qr.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Is it an international sale? He just said they don't import them with a 9mm qr.
    Ahh...yes. That is exactly what it is, they are all from Taiwan.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    We do not import the Epicon series fork with 9mm. As mentioned above forks at this price ($500+) are best to use 15mm thru axle.

Nick
    I've been thinking about this upgrade, and wondering about the front axle.

Any chance of a seriously discounted front hub being implemented as part of a package deal ?

squish, squish in da fish
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how much my stock fork weighs and I can't find it anywhere on Suntour's site. It's the XCT V3 LTD 29er. Anyone know? I see the Raidon comes in (I think) at 2145gm or so...Just curious how much weight I'm going to save WHEN I go with the Raidon.
    ~2688g

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    How can I figure out exactly which fork is on my bike? 2012 Rockhopper 29er. The only marking on the fork is XCR Spike Valve System SR Suntour. Specialized didn't have the 2012 info up anymore that I could find. This is the fork on their base 2013 Rockhopper. Would it be the same fork on my 2012? And if it says XCR, does that mean it falls into the same category as the XCT/XCM spoken of above?
    SR Suntour SF13-XCM-LO 29", hydraulic damping w/ lockout, coil/MCU spring, 1-1/8" steel steerer, alloy disc only post mount lower, 30mm Hi-Ten stanchion, preload adj., 80mm & 100mm travel
    Would all of the Raidon, Epicon, and Axon be upgrades to the XCR?

And in case you read this Nick, I saw that one of the requirements was the receipt of fork and/or bike with fork on it. I bought my bike used so I don't have the original purchase receipt. I do still have the receipt from my purchase and could easily take a photo of me with bike and fork on it.....
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

mtbr member
    Just purchased my upgrade from Nick at SRSuntour.

Went with this one: SR SUNTOUR Cycling

Service was great, Nick was very helpful.

I'll report back after it comes in.

Quiet Professional
    Congrats. Wondering about this fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Re: If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    How can I figure out exactly which fork is on my bike? 2012 Rockhopper 29er. The only marking on the fork is XCR Spike Valve System SR Suntour. Specialized didn't have the 2012 info up anymore that I could find. This is the fork on their base 2013 Rockhopper. Would it be the same fork on my 2012? And if it says XCR, does that mean it falls into the same category as the XCT/XCM spoken of above?

And in case you read this Nick, I saw that one of the requirements was the receipt of fork and/or bike with fork on it. I bought my bike used so I don't have the original purchase receipt. I do still have the receipt from my purchase and could easily take a photo of me with bike and fork on it.....
    If u search for bike archive on their site (or in google) u should be able to find the archives and look at the specs. I was annoyed when they took it off the site nav menu.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

Cow Clicker
    Call or email Nick with questions.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    To get the best upgrade
    Be aware--
    Per the Owner's Manual the Raidon RL and Epicon RL models do not include a rebound damping adjuster. All the other choices do. It is a very useful feature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    How can I figure out exactly which fork is on my bike? 2012 Rockhopper 29er. The only marking on the fork is XCR Spike Valve System SR Suntour....snip..

...snip........
    They made XCR forks in 2011 XCR RL 29'

Yes

XCR model forks seem to get good reviews.
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 02-06-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Anyone know if they sell coil forks for upgrade? It seems like the list on the last page was all air forks.

eff
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    To get the best upgrade
    Be aware--
    Per the Owner's Manual the Raidon RL and Epicon RL models do not include a rebound damping adjuster. All the other choices do. It is a very useful feature
    The Raidon X1-RL seems to:
    System Air / Hydraulic Remote speed-lock w/ rebound adjust. SR SUNTOUR Cycling

Definately something to confirm before ordering.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    Anyone know if they sell coil forks for upgrade? It seems like the list on the last page was all air forks.
    There seems to be three Raidon coil forks available.

SR SUNTOUR Cycling
    SR SUNTOUR Cycling
    SR SUNTOUR Cycling

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    The Raidon X1-RL seems to:
    System Air / Hydraulic Remote speed-lock w/ rebound adjust. SR SUNTOUR Cycling

Definately something to confirm before ordering.
    Further down in details it lists rebound adjustment-- N/A
    It seems like it certainly should have an adjustable rebound damping circuit.
    Maybe we can get some confirmation of the design for this and the Epicon.
    Fork info is hard to deciper for all the acronyms and unexplained mechanisms at work.
    Last edited by eb1888; 02-07-2013 at 06:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    To get the best upgrade
    Be aware--
    This is incorrect information. The Raidon's and Epicon's do have rebound adjsutment. I understand that our series of forks can be a little confusing as we offer forks in several options. Please don't hesitate to contact us directly for the facts on our forks.

Nick
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    Yes we do have a few Raidon's with coil spring. these are limited in quantities so feel free to call about pricing and availability.

Our website has litsted every fork we make for aftermarket. This does not mean that we stock them here in North America as there is a lot of overlap and no need to stock certain models. The forks posted earlier are what models we have that qualify for the upgrade. We do have a few other optoins not on that list so if your interested in something specific drop us a line.

Nick
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

mtbr member

Re: If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

Got my Raidon X1 in. It's very nice and quality. Looks good, it's getting put on tomorrow. Can't wait to try it this weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 02-14-2013 at 05:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ^^ Nice looking fork. In my area of the world a lot of folks use the Suntour Epicon because it is cheaper than other brands. It's also light and plush and you can adjust travel internally if you don't have the travel adjust version. Here's a video of James Doerfling riding his Epicon-equipped Knolly: Two Laps on the Endorphin - Pinkbike

Cow Clicker
    Looks great! Let us know what tangible results it gives you (how much faster, less fatigue, etc.).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
    ^^ Nice looking fork. In my area of the world a lot of folks use the Suntour Epicon because it is cheaper than other brands. It's also light and plush and you can adjust travel internally if you don't have the travel adjust version. Here's a video of James Doerfling riding his Epicon-equipped Knolly: Two Laps on the Endorphin - Pinkbike
    The owner of my LBS basically said the same thing, that it's unfortunate because Suntours ship on lower end bikes in the US, and to keep the price low, they put on the lowest of the low quality, and that it's not SRSuntours fault, they are just filling orders for the manufacturer. He was telling me how he has friends out of country (Canada, England and a few other places) and SRSuntour seems to be much more popular there.

Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    Looks great! Let us know what tangible results it gives you (how much faster, less fatigue, etc.).
    I'm going on an all day outing with my daughter and some friends on Saturday, so it'll definitely get well tested. I'll be sure to report back for the benefit of others.

The guys at my LBS were impressed with it.

They seen it and were saying "This is Suntour?? Wow, this is much better than the ones that come on the Scotts we sell", so they were totally impressed with the build quality. I think that is what SRSuntour is hoping starts happening.

If I really like this Raidon (and unless it's an utter failure, I can't think of any reason why I wouldn't), I'll continue to use SRSuntour. I'm planning a Niner build next year and will most likely use a Epicon.

Cow Clicker
    A lot of people forget RockShox were in the same boat a number of years ago. The pendulum swings. Glad to hear we were able to get you on better equipment for a lot less $$$ than the traditional ways. Plus, you have a warranty!

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast