Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    All,

The customer loyalty upgrade is directed to original owners only. That being said I have been contacted by some folks and have offered them a discount but not as aggresively as through the program.

N.
    I have two bikes, a 26" Airborne and Diamondback 29er. Original owner for the 26er, however im the second owner for the 29er, which is the fork i wanted to upgrade. Is it possible to get a 29er fork

Cow Clicker
    Glad to see so many taking advantage of this program.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    Hey Krunk,

The fork oil you installed is in a seperate sealed cartridge so it will not have any effect to what you are seeing. We use grease to lubricate our slider sleeves and bushing glides so as it builds up and a little dirt and grime get past the wipers it will leave this residue. Just wipe it off after the ride and all we will be good.

When your service schedule arrives for a lower casting cleaning and relubing you will need to use a new grease or a small amount of oil to lubricate the lowers. For most folks grease is the better option as it last longer and needs less maintenance or changes than adding 10cc of 0W oil in the bottom of the lowers before the fixing hardware is tightened.

Both of these procedures can be found on our website under the video section. We will be offering our proprietary grease in the near future.

N.
    Thank you, that's all I needed to know.
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Whats the price you guys are getting your forks installed for? The bike shop I got my bike from is saying $70 which seems a bit high for a fork install. I just got my forks and want them on pretty bad but I might just do it myself if $70 is the going price

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jk025 View Post
    Whats the price you guys are getting your forks installed for? The bike shop I got my bike from is saying $70 which seems a bit high for a fork install. I just got my forks and want them on pretty bad but I might just do it myself if $70 is the going price
    There's plenty of videos on you tube on how to install a fork....do it yourself. It can be done with basic hand tools. You will have to buy a star nut my girlfriends Raidon did not come with one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    DIY it wont take you too long to swap the fork out.
    His Hers
    2014 Trek CrossRip 2015 Trek Lexa
    2012 Trek Rumblefish 2013 Sette Reken

mtbr member
    All thru this thread folks say they are getting charged anywere from 30 to 55..I plan to doit myself and buy the tools needed instead of buying labor..but I enjoy this type of work...I wouldn't pay anymore than 40..
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Agreed with not paying more than 40. What is the best way to get the star nut out? Or are they readily available at bike shops? Also, a pipe cutter yeah? and that can be found at home depot or somewhere like that? I'm pretty well mechanically inclined so I'm just going to do it myself

mtbr member
    Hi folks,

For those installing on their own just remember to measure twice, cut once.

Nick
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

mtbr member
    Agreed with not paying more than 40. What is the best way to get the star nut out? Or are they readily available at bike shops? Also, a pipe cutter yeah? and that can be found at home depot or somewhere like that? I'm pretty well mechanically inclined so I'm just going to do it myself
    You should be able to get a star nut from any bike shop and I picked up an inexpensive Rigid brand pipe cutter from Home Depot. As Nick said measure twice, cut once!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    why do you need to get the star nut out? you can drill out the star nut till it breaks

eff
    mtbr member

Re: If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

Use a new star nut in the new fork. They are only a couple of $.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ok so new star nut. What's the going price for a pipe cutter that will work on the fork?

eff
    mtbr member

Ok so new star nut. What's the going price for a pipe cutter that will work on the fork?
    Pick up a basic pipe cutter at home depot in The plumning dept.

eff
    mtbr member

Not sure what they cost since I have one in my tool box.

Cow Clicker
    To add to the measure twice, cut once, I suggest leaving the steering tube at least an inch longer than your current fork and put spacers on top, so you can really adjust where you want it. Then ride it Around the block some at different heights and THEN come back and cut it again. For many of you, you are just going by factory length on your original fork. This is an opportunity to get a more custom fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    To add to the measure twice, cut once, I suggest leaving the steering tube at least an inch longer than your current fork and put spacers on top, so you can really adjust where you want it. Then ride it Around the block some at different heights and THEN come back and cut it again. For many of you, you are just going by factory length on your original fork. This is an opportunity to get a more custom fit.
    +1 on this. I have always ran with an longer than need steer tube with spacers on top in case at a later date I wanted to sell the fork. The longer steer tube is more appealing cause someone can cut to their needed size. Also like you said you can move your stem around find a better fit.

Cow Clicker
    I prefer a longer tube with flat bars.

mtbr member
    I prefer a longer tube with flat bars.
    I ran flat bars for years but I recently picked up the Easton Havoc Carbon which have a 20mm rise. I am really liking these bars.

mtbr member
    +1

nick
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ok. That wasn't so bad. My fork is installed and it went pretty smooth. I think the star nut might be just a hair crooked. I tapped it on one side to fix it and now I can't tell if it's straight, crooked or I'm just crazy. So out of curiosity how does the red rebound adjustment knob work?

mtbr member
    just installed mine today! A brief call to Nick to confirm the right size fork (someone put a 26" sticker on my 29" fork! Collector's Item!!!) ...

Went on easy - my first fork install. Didn't know I needed a new star-bolt thingy ... ran up to the LBS to get one. Picked up a pipe cutter. Measured my old fork and tried to get the same distance. My pipe cutter kept wanting to go all over the place. Got close to the length and it was OK. Almost forgot to transfer the crown bearing - it pried up pretty easy.

Really - it was simple. Scary to cut the tube, but really ... if you are even a LITTLE mechanically inclined - try it. Probably took all of a half hour of work.

The fork was on my list of upgrades for this year. Also added used Saint shifters. Used XT rear derail. Bontrager bolt on grips. SRAM PG990 cassette. Upgrading the crankset and BB next. Still all under $400 for upgrade.

Now if I can only find those 4 bb's that I lost from my Shimano pedals!

If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork-photo-22-smaller.jpg

mtbr member
    for those that have upgraded.. let's hear your experience with the fork so far?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    tagged for future reference
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just got my bike back in February so I'm not very experienced with other forks but it really is night and day with the new raidon fork I got. I installed it myself fairly easily and feel a lot more confident now that my front end isn't bouncing around like I have a pogo stick attached to the front. I rode once with the fork using the air pressure that was in it from the factory and then let a little out, probably a little too much and rode again. I still haven't bottomed out but I've gotten pretty darn close. Still waiting on my shock pump to show up. The fork has a very plush feel and seems to take the bumps well. As I said before, I don't have much experience with forks so I'm not sure what exactly to say about it. I definitely wouldn't trade the new fork for anything though and I'm thoroughly enjoying having better control

Merendon Junkie
    Yesterday I received my new raidon fork (26). As soon as I got home I set myself to install it. Took off the "old" xcr fork and compared the weight with the raidon. I could not tell much of a difference weight wise, the raidon was maybe a tad lighter. I used a cheap luggage scale to weigh them and weight indicated was pretty much the same, but the scale has a large error margin. The install went through smoothly. After setting sag I could tell just by manually compressing the fork, that it felt much better than the xcr I had just taken off. The rebound adjuster seemed to work nicely and the fork seemed solid. I had a hard time waiting for next morning to try it out on the trail.
    I have just arrived from my morning ride with my new raidon and all I can tell you is that I am very impressed. The fork feels soooo much better than the XCR. In fact, I feel it works just as well if not better than a recon gold that came on my El Mariachi, although I think the recon is lighter. Small bump compliance was great and the bigger hits were smoothly absorbed. I was able to use full travel and descended much quicker than with the old fork. I am very happy with the purchase of the raidon. Nick and the other people at suntour were very helpful and the whole ordeal went through without a hiccup. Very worthwhile upgrade.

THANKS!

If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork-raidon.jpg

If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork-rockhopper-raidon.jpg

mtbr member
    Sweeeet! Looks great on yer bike too!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    I did the upgrade to the Raidon on my girlfriends bike. After I installed the fork I took it for a short spin and I was impressed with the fork. My girlfriend was also impressed it is a night and day difference between the Raidon and the XCR. The best under $200 upgrade you can do!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I got the "custom" Raidon on the way but I REALLY like the way the newer Raidons look. I wonder if I can return the one if I dont like it when it gets here?

Cow Clicker
    ^picky, picky

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by illmation View Post
    I got the "custom" Raidon on the way but I REALLY like the way the newer Raidons look. I wonder if I can return the one if I dont like it when it gets here?
    custom raidon? what differences from the original raidon

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well after reading this i contacted nick and hopefully in the next week or two i can upgrade mine really interested in this since I've been in the desert alot lately. Should make things a little better

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericgautier View Post
    I've been able to put a couple of rides on my bike now. I waited to post before I could give something more than a "looks good so far" review.

I received one of the customs as mentioned before with the R-LO. so far I found that it works really well for steep hill climbs because i compress and lock the fork right before the climb. so as I approach I'll push down on the fork and then lock it. It don't have to stop so it doesn't mess with momentum. It also changes my body position slightly so I don't feel like I'm going to start doing a wheelie mid climb. So far that has been the biggest bonus to having the remote lock-out.

Handling and cornering have greatly improved. the rides have been more comfortable and have felt more confident overall on loose and muddy trails.

It also dropped about a 1lb of overall weight from my bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dizwikedcbr View Post
    custom raidon? what differences from the original raidon
    Nothing. it just has Black ano'd steerer and stanchion tubes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just ordered it a couple minutes ago on the phone. Cant wait for my raidon .
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    Just ordered it a couple minutes ago on the phone. Cant wait for my raidon .
    nice, is this for your skyhawk?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yeah. The XCM was really bad and I think it was holding me back in certain spots, like very rocky areas.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    I dropped my bike off at the bike shop and had them order the Raidon Air 26' fork through the loyalty program for me, but I sure hope I got the "custom" one, because I definitely like the all black color rather than the red, white, and black...just cause that red would clash big time with the orange on my Trek...when you guys ordered yours, were you given an option?
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just ordered mine today as well and the only option i was given was white or black

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just ordered my forks,
    SF13-Raidon-Lo-R 29" air TS 255/0 White the black ones were out of stock but the white wones will still be nice looking upgrade to my red overdrive.
    Thanks Nick

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I purchased a Hardrock Sport Disc 29er this February. After reading the favorable reviews from this thread I decided to go ahead and purchase the Raidon. It arrived this Wednesday and I promptly dropped it off at my LBS for installation. I picked the bike up yesterday afternoon but did not have a chance to ride it that day.

I read th set up instructions last night and set the pressure in the front fork. I weigh 175 pounds and ended up setting the pressure around 95 psi which got the sag right in the middle of the reccomended range.

I had chance to go on a short ride today to test out the fork. The trail I rode is not difficult but does have some good downhills, rough sections, and makeshift steps since it is mostly a pedestrian trail.

The Raidon did a good job of absorbing all of the bumps. The combination of fork and large wheels made the steps feel like they were not there. The biggest difference that I noticed was on the rougher downhills. The front end stayed planted and I noticed that I stayed off of the brakes more and kept up more speed.

One of the most telling experiences was on the last downhill I made today. I hit a 2-3 inch stick/log on the way down at a good speed. The fork absorbed most of the impact and the front end only made one small hop and stuck to the ground. The XCT that came on the bike would have bounced multiple times whilenI hung on for dear life.

If there is one con it is the lack of remote lock out option. When climbing hills I notice more bobbing than before. It would be nice to lock the fork out easier on these climbs.

I hope this helps anyone on the fence. So far the improved fork has really made me more confident in th bike. I understand why people say that a fork can completely change a bike.

--Raleigh--
    Quick Question, Can I trade In A 29Er xcr Fork For One To Go On My 26?
    K2 Zed V
    Kona Unit
    Both single speed 26ers

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yeah. The XCM was really bad and I think it was holding me back in certain spots, like very rocky areas.
    My Skyhawk has been assembled for 30 minutes and the first thing I noticed was the pogo stick fork. It is probably my weight (195), but I may do this sooner than later too.

eff
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinblue View Post
    My Skyhawk has been assembled for 30 minutes and the first thing I noticed was the pogo stick fork. It is probably my weight (195), but I may do this sooner than later too.
    Not your weight. The fork is just a spring hence the pogo stick action.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    Not your weight. The fork is just a spring hence the pogo stick action.

Yep... Now just imagine that fork trying to do technical trails. Just throws me all over.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

eff
    mtbr member

Yep... Now just imagine that fork trying to do technical trails. Just throws me all over.
    Believe me, I'm in New England so I know what you mean. I decided to go with a Manitou Minute and the improvement over technical terrain is incredible. I have cleared some rocky sections with confidence that I wouldn't touch with the XCMs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ahhhh....so the XCM is a spring, and the better forks are air? Guess that means the xcm can't even be adjusted except for rebound, huh?

The fiance has been pretty supportive with the purchases I've made ago far, but I think she's not going to need to hear the price if I upgrade this fork as soon as I'm tempted to!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Well the XCM doesn't have adjustable rebound (or any rebound dampening)...only adjustable preload and mechanical lockout.

EDIT: Corrected as I got confused with XCR

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by zephxiii; 03-31-2013 at 06:35 PM.

eff
    mtbr member

Other forks have coil springs but have rebound and compression dampening. The quality i f the dampening system is paramount.

Yes, there are forks that use air as the the spring too. If you look at RockShox foe example, most of their models have a spring and air option.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hello Nick,

Is it possible to buy a new cartridge aftermarket?

I love the performance of my Epicon, but would like to get compression adjustment and probably the new air cartridge (mine is a 2011 Epicon LOD with no air cartridge, but rather just a piston and a Schraeder valve top cap). Is it possible to order the new 2012 or 2013 RC cartridge from Russia?

Just, please, do not ask me to consult the dealer; our "dealer" (Velobox) don't care and wont even sell 15mm through-axle versions of the fork, which is one of the most important benefits of the Suntour forks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    well got my fork in this afternoon but noticed that the brake mount was different between my old fork and new fork. Call suntour they told me i was shipped a IS brake mount and my old one was a post mount. I was going to do the install myself to save a little money but this made me stop from taking anything apart. Luckily I called my LBS that I have been getting stuff from and they told me to bring it in so they can see if they had everything i needed since the remote cable was bare no sheath. Got there showed them the new one and they put it up and checked the IS mount that they had. Said it would take a little bit but it should work and quoted me 37 bucks. Asked them to go ahead and put the mount on. I walked around the complex there in and grabbed something to eat when i got back they had already cut and installed the new fork...Found out the mount and install plus a new star nut was for 37 lol. Anyways picked it up but haven't had a chance to ride it since i had to get back to work just ran around the park lot over humps and dirt island they had. As someone else said the lock out will be nice for climbing since my XCT bounced when i used to pedal on pavement but on lock the raidon didn't. Hopefully I get to go for a quick run near the trails next to my work in the morning and i'll update from there. here a phone pic from when i picked it up.

If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork-img-20130403-00007.jpg

Also like to thank the guys at suntour for the info since i'm kinda new to this stuff and the upgrade as well. Now i just need to get something to replace my rear shock.

mtbr member
    ^How long did it take for your fork to come in? I had my bike shop order the same fork for me through the loyalty program, and it's been 13 days and still no fork. I was told it shipped last Saturday though...
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    Ask the shop if they got a tracking number. I just placed a phone order with Nick and he gave me an order number and let me know that I'll be receiving a tracking number to my email when it ships.

I'm super stoked to get the upgrade fork! Raidon LO 26"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaPanthers View Post
    Ask the shop if they got a tracking number. I just placed a phone order with Nick and he gave me an order number and let me know that I'll be receiving a tracking number to my email when it ships.

I'm super stoked to get the upgrade fork! Raidon LO 26"
    Yeah, I just talked to my LBS, and he said he'll try to find the tracking number and then call me back...so we'll see. Did you get an ETA on your fork?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i ordered mine on friday and had it by wednesday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    So got a chance to ride alittle bit and i am liking the fork. Right now it's set to 100 psi which is a little stiff for my liking but i haven't had a chance to do any adjustment due to work. I'll probably be doing adjustment tonight for my sunday ride since i'm downloading the manual now. What i have noticed is that it doesn't act as bouncy like the xct when i hit a rock or dip in the trail and the remote lock out was convenient on the trail as well. I did get a chance to redo the brake cable as the LBS rushed through my bike so i could have it for the morning. here are some additional picture (sorry if there blurry taken with my phone).

Remote switch on handle bars.
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork-img-20130404-00015.jpg

Side by Side with the old XCT
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork-img-20130404-00008.jpg

Brake cable attached to the mount and routed normally behind the fork
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork-img-20130404-00012.jpg

Also this picture is of the installed IS mount I had to buy to get the front brakes mounted
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork-img-20130404-00011.jpg

Just as a side note that I didn't put in the post before, when one rep was installing my fork i was talking to another rep at the LBS he showed me a few of the ones they had installed and explained that i got a 2010 model of the Raidon RL-D (my invoice showed RL-D not RL-R). 2011 and up are post mounted brake just in case anyone is curious and RL-R part numbers are 2012 or newer supposedly. Hope this helps anyone that has questions and looking to see what fork you got to get more information off of there site.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    oh look at nicks post on page 10 about the fork being 2010... i thought i remember reading something about that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmetaz View Post
    i ordered mine on friday and had it by wednesday.
    Nick was able to get me the tracking number, and apparently it was sent to the wrong address but it was corrected and expected to be here tomorrow...hopefully I'll be riding by Saturday!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    oh look at nicks post on page 10 about the fork being 2010... i thought i remember reading something about that.
    He did not say it was 2010 from what I could see. He said it was just a custom model they had built and only have a few left. I just got my fork in the mail today, The only thing I could see outdated about it was the IS disk mounts instead of direct mounts. Honestly it could be a 2010 or 2012 model, either way it's new, functional, and because you went through the upgrade program you saved money from what they retail for.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    He did not say it was 2010 from what I could see. He said it was just a custom model they had built and only have a few left. I just got my fork in the mail today, The only thing I could see outdated about it was the IS disk mounts instead of direct mounts. Honestly it could be a 2010 or 2012 model, either way it's new, functional, and because you went through the upgrade program you saved money from what they retail for.
    Correct. I had originally raised this question because i assumed the same thing. These forks are a custom built set that were produced in a small quantity.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just thought it was a weird at first since i'm new to this stuff and thought i was going to have to send it back and wait for a post mount. i have no problem with it once the told me i could get a IS mount bracket and the LBS had one in stock. after setting the fork a little bit i'm really liking the new raidon. now if i can just get the rebound to that sweet spot of the trails i ride i'll be set. Then looking at getting an epicon rear shock thru nick since the front soaks up the bump but the rear just bounces since it has a generic coil shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    btw i'm 165lbs and had to set the fork to 75 to get proper sag. is that to low?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    nm just talked to suntour guess i'm ok

mtbr member
    As long as the sag is correct, you're good to go
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am 175 lbs and I had mine set at 88-90 psi. I went on several rides and to me I thought the fork could be a little softer. I double checked the sag and it was low. I reset the fork at 82-83 psi and got proper sag. It looks like we are in the same ballpark.

mtbr member
    Thats cool you guys can compare settings...any 215lbs'ers out there..what
    s yer PSI on a 29er fork?
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    Thats cool you guys can compare settings...any 215lbs'ers out there..what
    s yer PSI on a 29er fork?
    I'm 210 and run 85psi, after I put 15cc of 80w oil in the air chamber. Makes for a plush ride.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Noob question is the suntour xcm v3 found on my 2013 revel 1 a 1 1/8 ??

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

Quote Originally Posted by elnelsi23 View Post
    Noob question is the suntour xcm v3 found on my 2013 revel 1 a 1 1/8 ??
    Yes
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    This seems like a great program. I just got into the sport last spring and rode pretty frequently through the summer and fall. Live and ride in north west jersey so lots of roots and rocks. While I'm still new.. I have noticed that on technical stuff I have what I like to call "boat" steering. No doubt my riding can improve but have started to think the fork might be a bit limiting.

I have a Specialized HR Sport Disc 29er and was looking to upgrade and found this thread. Assume it makes sense for me to just go with the Raidon at this point? I already had to upgrade my cranks and rear DR so far and really enjoying my time on the bike.

Edit: Meant to add I was originally looking at the Rock Shox Recon Silver but if I can sped half the price I'd love to go with the Raidon. I am assuming either will be a noticeable upgrade for me
    Last edited by Rock48nj; 04-08-2013 at 08:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock48nj View Post
    This seems like a great program. I just got into the sport last spring and rode pretty frequently through the summer and fall. Live and ride in north west jersey so lots of roots and rocks. While I'm still new.. I have noticed that on technical stuff I have what I like to call "boat" steering. No doubt my riding can improve but have started to think the fork might be a bit limiting.

I have a Specialized HR Sport Disc 29er and was looking to upgrade and found this thread. Assume it makes sense for me to just go with the Raidon at this point? I already had to upgrade my cranks and rear DR so far and really enjoying my time on the bike.

Edit: Meant to add I was originally looking at the Rock Shox Recon Silver but if I can sped half the price I'd love to go with the Raidon. I am assuming either will be a noticeable upgrade for me
    I have a 2013 Sport Disc that I recently upgraded with a Raidon fork. My friend that I ride with has a Trek Cobia with a Recon Silver. From what I can gather they are extremely similar in weight, dimensions and travel. After riding both forks I cannot tell a huge difference between the two. I may like the Raidon slightly better. It may be that I have tinkered with my the Raidon Fork so that I like it better.

I live in VA and probably ride on similar terrain. It handles the mild roots that you can go over fast as well as the heavily eroded roots that end up causing a 1' plus drop.

If you do not mind me asking what happened to the crank and derailleur? You can PM me if you want so that we do not clog the thread up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks... going to check with my LBS and see if its easier for me to order the raidon or if they can do it since I was likely going to have them install.

RD was a large stick that snapped the hanger and really bent the deraileur itself. Cranks.. the pedal thread on the right arm stripped... so not sure why it happened. Was also half way into about a 12 mile ride. Fun hike out.

squish, squish in da fish
    cranks sound like a warr issue, possibly.

mtbr member

Got my bike back today with the new Raidon! It's definitely way better than my old XCM v3. Gonna go hit the trails tomorrow afternoon. Thanks to Nick and Suntour for everything, great program!
    Last edited by NFLcheesehead1; 04-08-2013 at 04:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    nice congrats. btw when i was riding i notice that at 75 after a drop my shock wasn't really coming back up luckily had my shock pump set to 85psi and it runs great. for those wanting to compare at the 165 -170 range.

mtbr member

I'm not normally one to be a fan boy, and I always try to be objective when using things. That said, I'm really glad a lot of people are going for this deal.

I've had guys 20 years on a mountain bike, guys who are normally very cynical, get on my bike and really like the fork.

I'm glad they are getting their fair shake at the market in the states.

2014 Scott Scale 740

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock48nj View Post
    Thanks... going to check with my LBS and see if its easier for me to order the raidon or if they can do it since I was likely going to have them install.

RD was a large stick that snapped the hanger and really bent the deraileur itself. Cranks.. the pedal thread on the right arm stripped... so not sure why it happened. Was also half way into about a 12 mile ride. Fun hike out.
    If you put both pedals on right-tighty, you did it wrong.

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    I'm not normally one to be a fan boy, and I always try to be objective when using things. That said, I'm really glad a lot of people are going for this deal.

I've had guys 20 years on a mountain bike, guys who are normally very cynical, get on my bike and really like the fork.

I'm glad they are getting their fair shake at the market in the states.

Totally agree. Thank you Nick for creating a bunch of Happy Noobs :-P

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Did the upgrade (Radion 29) a couple weeks ago. With 2 rides in on some heavy trails out at Markham, completely worth the upgrade.

Last edited by chester2123; 04-09-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Village Newbie
    I checked with my LBS and they aren't participating nor would they be willing to offer up anything. Did try selling me a fork that was lesser to Raidon for $400 . I called up SR Suntour to get the low down on the program and it looks like I'll be getting in on this as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chester2123 View Post
    Did the upgrade (Radion 29) a couple weeks ago. With 2 rides in on some heavy trails out at Markham, completely worth the upgrade.
    Where in markham do you ride?? I am also from that area

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    well markham park has about 7-8 miles of trails toward the back of the park

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by epic-gamer View Post
    Where in markham do you ride?? I am also from that area
    I think we're talking about two different Markhams. If ur profile info is right ur in Canada, I'm in Florida. If not refer to my post above this lol.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Quote Originally Posted by chester2123 View Post
    I think we're talking about two different Markhams. If ur profile info is right ur in Canada, I'm in Florida. If not refer to my post above this lol.
    Ill be taking my bike out to markham with the new fork soon... Hopefully.

Pics of the upgrade to follow when I go to pick the bike up on Saturday
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'd really like to do this, but guys at my LBS seem to just wanna sell me a new fork. Anyone have any suggestions on the best fot fork for my ride? Bike currently has a SR Suntour XCM 100mm on it. Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    For a good buy for your money and less expensive than most , this raidon is the way to go. But the most raved about fork on the market is the RS Reba for more than double the cost new. All in all I think you should just go through with the program by ordering the fork yourself.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

There's also the RS Recon Gold for $238 if you want to up the cost a bit and shave off some weight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Anyone know how much the 26" Raidon RLD (custom one) weighs?
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    I just got the custom Raidon and it looks great! Way beefier than the XCT V4 and weighs substantially less, perhaps a pound if not more. Sorry I don't have any actual numbers, I'll see if I can't get on a scale and measure how much I weigh compared to how much the fork and I weigh. The scale I have access to is pretty inconsistant so it might not even be worth posting any numbers. I'm itching to cut the tub and shove in a star not and start to get things dialed in!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaPanthers View Post
    I just got the custom Raidon and it looks great! Way beefier than the XCT V4 and weighs substantially less, perhaps a pound if not more. Sorry I don't have any actual numbers, I'll see if I can't get on a scale and measure how much I weigh compared to how much the fork and I weigh. The scale I have access to is pretty inconsistant so it might not even be worth posting any numbers. I'm itching to cut the tub and shove in a star not and start to get things dialed in!
    I believe after reading specs. The raidon weighs 700 or 800 grams less than my Xcm which is a v3. It's weighs around 2000 g depending on the steerer cut.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Using a crappy scale, I weighed it at 214.4 and 220.2 with the XCT. I then weighed in at 215.2 and like 218.4 witht the Raidon.

A word of advice, have post mount to international standard brake adaptors ready! I have to wait until Thursday to get everything bolted back up . Well, at least if you have a 26" XCT V4 and upgrade to a Raidon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    did you try a LBS got mine from one here in town for about 5 or 6 bucks?

mtbr member
    I did, unfortunately they did not have any on hand . I mean, I could go and find one online/a different shop, but these guys have been super cool to me, especially considering I didn't buy my bike through them. A few days wait is no biggie, especially considering I have a few other issues I need to work out with the bike in the meantime.

Will be posting up a review once I get a ride or two on the new fork. Initial impression is sweet, and there is defintely a big difference between the Raidon and XCT. The Raidon is a lot beefier and weighs considerably less. I'm not going to count the sketchy weights I posted earlier, but it is absolutely noticeable when comparing the two side by side.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    cool just checking i know i got lucky when i did mine and they had one in stock. also just put a float on the rear so hoping to get out for a ride soon since the old coil shock that came with the bike broke.

Merendon Junkie
    Here is a short video of the raidon in action on my rockhopper. I dont know if you can tell anything about the forks performance by looking at the video but here it is anyway. It felt pretty nice though!

Last edited by abelfonseca; 04-16-2013 at 02:20 PM.

squish, squish in da fish
    looks to be dialed good. seems like it bottomed out a couple times, which is good in my book. i was going to say to give more rebound cause it looked to be packing up on the dirt section, but on the pavement it was spot on.

mtbr member
    cool just checking i know i got lucky when i did mine and they had one in stock. also just put a float on the rear so hoping to get out for a ride soon since the old coil shock that came with the bike broke.
    Nice, should feel like a new bike when its all said and done! I figured I would let fellow upgraders know about a silly thing like a brake bracket holding up the process

abel - That vid is pretty rad! Coming from the car world I love suspension at work and that vid was sweet haha. I am a bike noob, but it looked liked the fork was sticking to the ground and soaking up the bumps pretty well

also, does anybody know if the Raidon in this upgrade can be changed to 120mm travel? Just poking around on the site and it looks like the black/black 26 Raidon RLD's have 100/120mm travel. Just curious!
    Last edited by CarolinaPanthers; 04-16-2013 at 10:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have a 2013 Cannondale trail six, trying to decide to upgrade between the raidon and epicon. I know with the epicon I would have to upgrade my wheelset but I am curious of the travel of the Epicon. My current fork is 100mm of travel and I dont want to mess up the geometry of the bike.

Is the epicon capable of 100mm of travel?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Here is the link to the website:
    SR SUNTOUR Cycling

It looks to me like that 100mm is the standard travel. It is my understanding that most bikes will handle 20mm of change in the front fork without substantially altering the geometry.

I did the raidon upgrade. In hindsight I wish I had done the Epicon. I did not want to do the wheelset upgrade at the time because I thought it would be too expensive. A month and a half later I am now doing the wheelset and wish I had a 15mm thru axle like the Epicon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisonabike View Post
    Here is the link to the website:
    SR SUNTOUR Cycling

It looks to me like that 100mm is the standard travel. It is my understanding that most bikes will handle 20mm of change in the front fork without substantially altering the geometry.

I did the raidon upgrade. In hindsight I wish I had done the Epicon. I did not want to do the wheelset upgrade at the time because I thought it would be too expensive. A month and a half later I am now doing the wheelset and wish I had a 15mm thru axle like the Epicon.
    I was just going to get the epicons now then upgrade the front wheel when I can.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 187