1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keith421 View Post
    Can someone explain this deal to me? If I buy say a Giant Revel 1, that comes with a Fork SR Suntour XCM V3, 100mm Travel, what does this do for me? I can upgrade to what forks and whats the reduced price?
    Quote Originally Posted by blammo585 View Post
    I've heard back. You can get a 29" Epicon LO R Qlc White for $250.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    You should email Nick.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

eff
    mtbr member
    Post deleted.
    Last edited by eff; 01-22-2013 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Delete

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi everyone, I actually email Nick few days ago and he answer me so, if that can help someone, here's my email and his answer...

Hi, I just saw on the MTBR forum that suntour offers to upgrade a low level fork for a higher one for a low price. I want to know if it still on, if it's also good for Canada and if so, how it works? I'm planning on buying a new bike in few weeksand this program might help me decide.

Thank you

Hello,

Thanks for your email in regards to our Customer Loyalty Upgrade program. Attached is documentation of the specifics of the program.

Best regards,

Nick Hannah-Moore

Service and Warranty

SR Suntour North America, Inc.

14511 NE 10th Avenue, UNIT E
    Vancouver, WA 98685

PH: (360) 737-6450

Email: nmoore@srsuntourna.com

Web: SR SUNTOUR Cycling

Warranty claims and support can now be processed more effectively through our new website. Please visit it and let us know what you think!

SR Suntour North America | // SR Suntour North America / Warranty & Service Center

And here the attach file:

SR Suntour Customer Loyalty Upgrade Program Guidelines

SR Suntour North America is excited to launch a new program geared towards its North American customers. The intention of this program will allow the end user to upgrade his/her own suspension fork to something that will align better with their riding style and overall expectations than their current suspension fork.
    To participate in this program consumers are encouraged to visit the shop in which they purchased the bicycle from to make sure that the necessary upgrades make sense and that the appropriate fork is ordered to fit the bicycle and its intended use. Dealers should contact SR Suntour North America for product availability and ordering.
    For consumers that do not have the ability to work through a local dealer they are welcome to contact us directly to participate in the program and discuss fitment, pricing and product availability.
    To be eligible and qualify for the Customer Loyalty Upgrade Program one must provide the following:
    Serial number of current SR Suntour fork
    Receipt of existing fork and or bicycle in which the fork came stock
    Agreement that the fork will not be resold to a 3rd party

Forks currently available through this program include the following SR Suntour models
    Raidon LO R Air Disc Blk 26 $150.00
    Raidon LO R Air Disc Blk 29 $175.00
    Epicon TAD 15Qlc 150-110 Disc Blk/White 26 $250.00
    Epicon LO R 15Qlc White 29 $275.00
    Axon RL 15Qlc Blk/White 26 $300.00

SR Suntour North America 14511 NE 10th Ave Unit E Vancouver WA 98685 Phone: 360-737-6450

mtbr member
    Ugh...I can't decide between the Raidon LO R Air Disc Blk 29 and the Epicon LO R 15Qlc White 29..

I don't really need the Epicon, but that's a damn good price for one of their higher end forks. Does anyone have any experience with this fork?

Are they both axled? Nevermind, I see only the Epicon is axled.

Does either come with a remote lockout?
    Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 01-23-2013 at 04:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just got a bike with a suntour for, perfect!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you;re thinking about the Epicon, Nick at Suntour is the guy to talk to. I believe he rides that fork set at 110.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    If you;re thinking about the Epicon, Nick at Suntour is the guy to talk to. I believe he rides that fork set at 110.
    I want it but it looks like it's only offered in a 15QR through axle... For me to use that, I'd have to upgrade my wheelset.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2014 Scott Scale 740

Rogue Exterminator
    Looks like the only one without a thru axle is the Raidon.
    Is this true or am I missing something?

I may upgrade to a tru axle hub on my HT anyways so I can swap parts between the bikes but just want to see what else is available.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    so in order to upgrade the fork you have to upgrade front hub as well to a thru axle? So it is not a simple skewer?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    {deleted}

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
    I want it but it looks like it's only offered in a 15QR through axle... For me to use that, I'd have to upgrade my wheelset.
    You need a front wheel with caps you can change. This upgrade to a light front wheel and tire will be as major as the fork. I built my own with an ArchEx rim DtSwis SuperComp spokes and nips and a ZTR hub. The Park TM-1 gauge is what I needed.
    That wheel will go on to any future bike. This is worth it because no bike until you get to $4-6K comes with decent wheels.
    Last edited by eb1888; 01-26-2013 at 06:17 AM.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I'm still trying to figure out how much my stock fork weighs and I can't find it anywhere on Suntour's site. It's the XCT V3 LTD 29er. Anyone know? I see the Raidon comes in (I think) at 2145gm or so...Just curious how much weight I'm going to save WHEN I go with the Raidon.

Rogue Exterminator
    Honestly if Suntour wants to up their image they need to get rid of the XCT completely.
    Most peoples first and often only experience with a Suntour fork is what comes on their budget bike. If that fork was the XCT and they rode anything more then gravel roads where they did not need a fork to begin with, then their experience was a bad one and in their mind this means Suntour makes junk.

My first bike had an XCT and it was nothing but a glorified pogo stick.
    I realized it was a budget bike at a budget price and they slapped the cheapest piece of crap on the bike to make it look like the higher end bikes. Even though this was not a high end bike, it was not a Walmart bike either (although I don't know if it was much better than a walmart bike).

My next bike was also a budget bike but came with the XCM.
    Although this is still a budget fork used to sell the bike at an affordable price with suspension, there is a HUGE difference between it and the XCT.
    As far as budget forks go on budget bikes, the XCM is an admirable choice and not a complete embarrassment to the company.

All that being said, I can not see there being much manufacturing cost difference in the XCT and the XCM. I might even guess that if you dropped the XCT and started making more XCM's the cost of manufacturing the XCM would go down.

At the very least, if you insist on continuing making the XCT then at the very least take your name off it so that gawd awful piece of junk is no longer associated with it.

I still plan on upgrading the XCM as I do need more fork.
    However, if my only experience had been the XCT I probably would not even have considered Suntour as an option even with discounts being offered.

Cow Clicker
    ^^Didn't you just start riding recently? You've got an awful lot of opinions for someone who hasn't been around Mountain Bikes very long.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    ^^Didn't you just start riding recently? You've got an awful lot of opinions for someone who hasn't been around Mountain Bikes very long.
    Look man, I am not trying to start anything here so please don't. There really is no point in you carrying our differences from another thread in to this one.

I didn't say anything bad about Suntour. I have ridden both forks I mentioned quite a bit and have experience with both. Yes, I am a newer rider however, I understand suspension quite well from years racing both cars and motorcycles.

That being said, as a newer rider and knowing that the XCT was junk from the very first ride, that should be more important to them then the experienced guy who has ridden $1k forks and steps down and tries it out.

Now if you have spent some time on the XCT and would like to disagree with my opinion of it then go ahead. Otherwise I have no other reason to believe you posted that other than to try and troll me in to an argument.

Cow Clicker
    First, you took a personal shot at me in a PM and I don't appreciate it. My dislike of you goes beyond just one thread. Second, your comments above were completely inappropriate, like many of your other posts.

Third, Suntour does not choose what fork to put on a bike. Suntour builds forks and offers them for sale to bike brands. You have no idea how much the manufacturing costs are of one over another. The brands are who choose to put a recreational trail riding fork on their recreational trail riding bikes to keep costs down. If Suntour could build a better fork for the same cost, they would.

The XCT is not complete junk. I've ridden bikes with an XCT fork and it does what it was designed to do.

Compared to the fork I have on my bike, the XCT doesn't perform as well, but I don't go around calling it complete junk and desparaging it. If I were like you, I would go around saying your bike is complete junk and your brand shouldn't make your bike because it is bringing the brand down.

I think there are a lot of people who expect an RTR fork to perform in a way it wasn't designed and I also think there are a lot of new riders who blame their equipment for their shortcomings.

If you're riding an XCT, or any fork for that matter, that doesn't suit your needs, buy something different and shut up.

This company has gone out of its way to give people who buy an RTR bike the opportunity to make that bike perform a little better with minimal cost. The only appropriate thing to say about Suntour or ANY of it's products is, "Thank you, I appreciate what you are doing," period.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Honestly if Suntour wants to up their image they need to get rid of the XCT completely.
    Most peoples first and often only experience with a Suntour fork is what comes on their budget bike. If that fork was the XCT and they rode anything more then gravel roads where they did not need a fork to begin with, then their experience was a bad one and in their mind this means Suntour makes junk.

My first bike had an XCT and it was nothing but a glorified pogo stick.
    I realized it was a budget bike at a budget price and they slapped the cheapest piece of crap on the bike to make it look like the higher end bikes. Even though this was not a high end bike, it was not a Walmart bike either (although I don't know if it was much better than a walmart bike).

My next bike was also a budget bike but came with the XCM.
    Although this is still a budget fork used to sell the bike at an affordable price with suspension, there is a HUGE difference between it and the XCT.
    As far as budget forks go on budget bikes, the XCM is an admirable choice and not a complete embarrassment to the company.

All that being said, I can not see there being much manufacturing cost difference in the XCT and the XCM. I might even guess that if you dropped the XCT and started making more XCM's the cost of manufacturing the XCM would go down.

At the very least, if you insist on continuing making the XCT then at the very least take your name off it so that gawd awful piece of junk is no longer associated with it.

I still plan on upgrading the XCM as I do need more fork.
    However, if my only experience had been the XCT I probably would not even have considered Suntour as an option even with discounts being offered.
    I also am also new to mountain biking, have been riding for one season(1500 miles on a Trek Marlin with XCM). Wen I was shopping for my bike unless I miss understood the XCT and XCM are virtually the same fork, only difference being the XCM has a mechanical lockout. I could be mistaken. I have nothing bad to say about my lower end Suntour fork. I know it is not a top of the line item and will not offer the performance of the higher end forks. Also I think it's awesome Suntour offers a customer loyalty program such as this. Kudos to them and more companies need to have similar programs. We are in a time when many of the larger companies just don't care about their customers anymore.

I also race motorcycles and autocross my WRX and can say that know the suspension of a car or motorcycle does not cross over to mountain the same at all. Comparing the feeling of suspension from my 410lb GSXR 750 to my 32 lb Trek is ridiculous.

Thanks,
    Brian.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hooligan63049; 01-27-2013 at 03:50 AM.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan63049 View Post
    Wen I was shopping for my bike unless I miss understood the XCT and XCM are virtually the same fork, only difference being the XCM has a mechanical lockout.

The XCM is a fatter fork which I am sure makes it stiffer.
    Also it seems to bounce a lot less and absorb more no matter how much I played with the rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan63049 View Post

I also race motorcycles and autocross my WRX and can say that know the suspension of a car or motorcycle does not cross over to mountain the same at all. Comparing the feeling of suspension from my 410lb GSXR 750 to my 32 lb Trek is ridiculous.

First off I have ridden both street and dirt when it comes to bikes.
    Suspension does the same basic thing no matter what it is on.
    Suspension on a dirt bike reacts very similar to that of a mountain bike.
    It just needs to do it better when on 200lb dirt bike.
    The XCT did a lot of bouncing and in no way do you want your suspension bouncing unless you are on a pogo stick. Also I am sure there was additional flex with the smaller fork tubes.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Both of you should take a voluntary break from each other, before someone else decides to force such upon you

mtbr member
    Guys... Seriously...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

eff
    mtbr member
    I can add another reason to upgrade the Suntour fork. My bike has the XCM's on it and the froze solid yesterday. My buddies Zokes continued to function fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how much my stock fork weighs and I can't find it anywhere on Suntour's site. It's the XCT V3 LTD 29er. Anyone know? I see the Raidon comes in (I think) at 2145gm or so...Just curious how much weight I'm going to save WHEN I go with the Raidon.
    XCT V3 LTD was an OEM fork for Giant. We have it listed at 2575g. Just a bit lighter than a boat anchor

Nick
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

mtbr member
    All,

We appreciate everyones opinion so I hope that we can keep things here as civil as if we were all face to face. I will try to answer some of the questions raised by Kijuled as best as possible in lamens terms.

The reason for the XCT is numerous to say the least. It does suit many purposes and is a very high quality fork for the money. Remember that the XCT is a $60 dollar fork so we can't compare it to much in the market as an apples to apples comparison. It has many great features such as a coil spring, serviceable bushings and an aluminum lower casting. In some cases it even can come equiped with a lock out! Not to long ago forks at this pricing were far from servicable and were truely a throw-away type item not to mention had questionable safety concerns if it were actually taken to the trails.

SR Suntour is the largest bicycle suspension fork manufacturer in the world. We manufacture this fork to meet certain pricepoints for our OEM clients. Some folks have limited budgets but are looking for something that will make their riding more enjoyable and fun. Any suspension is a good thing especially for a beginner cyclist. I can say this from experience as I have been in the bike industry and have been riding since the dawn of bicycle suspension. Things have come a long way thank goodness.

Manufacturers are always looking to save cost in anyway possible so if its a few dollars on a fork or a few cents on a bottom bracket you better believe they will do it in order to get a bicycle at a certain pricepoint. It has been this way for years. Remember that it's not 1 bicycle they are saving dollars on its 100,000's sometimes more That money adds up quickly.

The XCM does not have rebound as stated above. It will have a preload adjuster that is desinged for SAG. It has no effect on rebound what so ever.

Anyway. I hope that clears things up just a bit.

As for the 9mm forks. We tend to stock them at or below a $375 (Raidon series below) retail price point as the 15mm thru axle is found on high performance forks and these generally wouldn't be put on bikes that retail for the same amount of money as most would benefit from having a higher quality total package than just a fork.

Thanks for reading.
    Nick
    Last edited by SRvancouver13; 01-28-2013 at 10:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Great explanation SR!

Another question, are any of the Epicons sold with a skewer rather than a 15mm thru axle?

mtbr member
    We do not import the Epicon series fork with 9mm. As mentioned above forks at this price ($500+) are best to use 15mm thru axle.

Nick

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast