Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I am interested in upgrade for my Rockhopper. I PM'd SRvancouver and haven't heard anything. Is the deal dead?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdeno0001 View Post
    I am interested in upgrade for my Rockhopper. I PM'd SRvancouver and haven't heard anything. Is the deal dead?
    Have you read any of this thread?

At 486 is a phone number. Somewhere Nick gives an email address and asks for people to use that instead of PM for prompt replies.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks. I have seen the phone number somewhere, but not the email. To answer your question yes i have read some of it, but all 21 pages that would be a negative. Also, a member was helping me with bike choices and told me about the upgrade and mentioned messaging or PM'ing Nick for additional info. Hence the PM I sent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    if anyone else needs it it is Service@SRsuntourna.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    nmoore@suntoura.com is the address I read and used yesterday. Hope to hear back Monday.

mtbr member

If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251073168246...84.m1438.l2649
    Anybody have any any experience with these. I have the stock 9mm revel wheels but may upgrade the wheels eventually and most new wheels are 15mm. Using one of these would allow me to upgrade to the epicon but use the stock 9mm wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm in the exact same boat!

mtbr member

Re: If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

Quote Originally Posted by DPCardoza View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/251073168246...84.m1438.l2649
    Anybody have any any experience with these. I have the stock 9mm revel wheels but may upgrade the wheels eventually and most new wheels are 15mm. Using one of these would allow me to upgrade to the epicon but use the stock 9mm wheels.
    I think this is reverse for what you need. This if for using a 15mm hub with a 9 mm fork.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by AZDan View Post
    I think this is reverse for what you need. This if for using a 15mm hub with a 9 mm fork.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 2
    After rereading the item I think you are right. Still in the Sam boat though.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 2

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Has anyone done it already ? How is the turn around time ?
    Im interested in the raidon for my new hardrock and just wanted some feedback from anyone
    Who has upgraded through the program.

mtbr member

I called in my order May 3. Still waiting for a fork.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That's not good poolboy.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thats not comforting to hear.
    Placed my order yesterday with nick over the phone
    He told me should be under a month.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    A month!?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yup, thats what i was told.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    They've sold a lot and now only 2014 product will be available. 189 for a 29 Raidon + about 10 shipping. 389 for a 29 Epicon with a number of product upgrades.

Cow Clicker
    Still a smokin' deal. I think I recall something about waiting for the next shipment.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    All,

Just so that we are all on the same boat here I will explain the lead time on 29 forks. We are currently waiting for a delayed shipment that was held up by customs. It took an extra 2 weeks longer than normal.

The forks are arriving our broker says on Monday, July 1st. Shipping and recieving will be taking care of all the back orders on Wednesday and Friday as we are closed on the 4th.

We will be offering 27.5 Raidon's and Epicon's in about 6-8 weeks as bikes are now just starting to trickle out from the manufacturers a little at a time.

Once again, thanks to all of you that have made this program work.

Nick
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What makes the Epicon worth so much more than a raidon?
    Sorry for the noob question, But I really don't know anything about forks.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Can someone help me? I have no idea what fork to upgrade with.

Here are my specs.

TRAIL 7 - Trail - Hardtail - Mountain - Bikes - 2013

mtbr member

You can go directly to the raidon. No hub swapping or anything. If you go to the epicon you'll have to change your front wheel.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hey_poolboy View Post
    You can go directly to the raidon. No hub swapping or anything. If you go to the epicon you'll have to change your front wheel.

Thanks a lot!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    An more advanced Epicon will save you 1lb in weight over the 5lb Raidon.
    The X1 LO RC 29 has low speed compression adjust and lock out.
    2012 Rockshox Reba dual air is another 1/2lb lighter.
    A Hope/ArchEx front wheel from Wiggle for $151 will save you 1-1.5lbs. It is stronger and stiffer. It comes with QR and 15mm end caps.
    wiggle.com | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Front Wheel | MTB Wheels
    A Schwalbe Nobby Nic Perf. at 605g for 36 will save you 1lb. to 1.5lb tubeless. It will roll faster and grip and track better in turns.
    All this weight off the front of the bike is the best spot to lose weight for a performance improvement.
    You get over bumps easier when climbing. The bike steers quicker and lighter.
    Last edited by eb1888; 07-02-2013 at 12:55 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=380659637465

I was thinking about getting this one. Is this good? I don't want buy a fork that's worth more than my bike. Lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Chargerhemi06 View Post
    Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=380659637465

I was thinking about getting this one. Is this good? I don't want buy a fork that's worth more than my bike. Lol.
    Wow, that seems like a good deal. Much better price than the "loyalty" program. I might have to pick one of those up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by xceebeex View Post
    Wow, that seems like a good deal. Much better price than the "loyalty" program. I might have to pick one of those up.

That is a good price for a 26" fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Has anyone had their back order ship? Just wondering if I'm toward the end of the line or if they haven't started yet.

mtbr member

No word yet..........

mtbr member
    All backorders started shipping on Monday, last ones are going out tomorrow!!!

Nick

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good to hear!
    Where can I get a full description of the 2014 forks?

mtbr member

Awesome! Thanks Nick.

mtbr member

Raidon came in today. Finally got home from work and half an hour later my Kona splice is sporting a new fork!
    Still have to add the oil (see page 8 or so) and tune.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Cool, I would love to hear all about your new fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Mine should be here today...installing tomorrow...riding Sunday.

I will write next week with a full review of the process and fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    Good to hear!
    Where can I get a full description of the 2014 forks?
    We currently do not have the forks up on the web but they are going to be the same as they were for 2013. The main difference is we have gone away from the X1, X2 moniker to simplify things and offer only 4 versions in each wheel size.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm sure I was told something about design improvements increasing rigidity and lowering weight being the reason the loyalty program upgrades had increased in cost?

mtbr member

Alright, here goes. I did not have the forethought to weigh them both, but I did hold them in each hand and there was not a significant difference between the xcr and the new Raidon.
    Only took me half an hour or so to put it on, but this is my first time. I took Nick's advice from earlier in the thread and added 15cc of 80-90w gear oil to allow me to run lower pressure. (I'm about 220#) Took about 95psi to get sag correct.
    Today I got a chance to put a few miles on it, but only about 9. The Raidon is set @ 100 mm, which is 20mm longer than the factory fork. I didn't really notice much of a difference in handling from that alone.
    On the first stretch of technical stuff I noticed a huge difference in handling. My wheel stayed on my chosen line much better and stayed planted well in rough stuff. I chose to ride trails today that I ride a lot so that I could compare. Wow, what a difference! Even hitting some rutted areas the ride was noticeably better.
    After my ride I noticed that I wasn't using my whole travel length, so I am going to try to drop 5# or so and see what happens.
    Very glad I made the switch!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Congrats poolboy.
    A good fork does make a big difference in how your bike rides

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    As promised here is my review. Keep in mind that this is comparing the Raidon 29 with the fork that came with it, not other mid-level air forks like the Recon, Tower, or others of their ilk.

I'm about 210 pounds. Been riding for about a full season. Mid-Atlantic rider so rocky, rooty, oft damp, east coast trails. I ride a SS hardtail. Let's get the negative out of the way right off the bat.

I think Nick is the only one that works for Suntour North America (exaggeration). The beginning phase of the process was smooth and easy. Nick was very helpful. I was told the fork was on back order, and so the issues began. After the back order period I called to check in. I was told there were shipping delays. No problem. Then there were customs delays. No big deal except several times I was told the fork was shipping next week, and several times it did not. I also inquired about expedited shipping once the forks arrived and never got a return call.

So like I said, it seems like Nick is overwhelmed but it was really frustrating to be told the fork was shipping when he wasn't positive. I have another bike project that was waiting on this fork to come in for it to move forward. The frame builder wanted to measure me with a real fork with proper travel and weight. So again, this was frustrating and counterproductive to the mission of re-imaging the Suntour brand.

Now that that's out of the way, let's get to the fork. First off, weight. The Raidon 29 weighed in at 5.2 pounds. The XCT that came off the bike weighed in at 5.75 pounds. For reference, the Manitou Tower Pro that is going on my custom frame is 120mm and weighed in at 4.25 pounds (I know I said I wasn't going to do that). So the Raidon is lighter but technically not by much.

It felt A LOT lighter practically though. I did a 16 mile ride yesterday and was stunned by the difference. I was going fast. Really fast. Not because the fork made the bike faster but because going through anything the trail threw at me was smoother. I had confidence to blast where as with the XCT you're constantly juttering through whatever you may face.

Descending: Like I said, things were faster. You're still on a hardtail but carving single track felt much more compliant. I had more control of the bike and was able to really push the speed in cornering. Chunky stuff was dealt with easier, clearly.

A note about going downhill. With all the speed, the bike just screams for hydro brakes. My Avid BB5 up front and BB7 in the back, while admittedly probably need some new pads, were just not stopping me fast enough when I needed it. More speed requires more stopping power.

Climbing: This is the part that really took me over the top (that was punny). I was amazed at how well I could do technical climbs. Climbing a rock/root garden was made easier because when I'd have to go over an obstacle the fork absorbed the hit and I was able to keep cranking through it. With the XCT often you hit an obstacle and the fork will spring you back on the rebound. The nature of the coil seems to zap momentum where as the air floats you right over things. This is huge for me because technical climbs on my SS are often tough.

Finally, a note on log stacks. A half pound weight loss plus properly adjusted sag really makes a world of difference. When coming up to a stack it was much easier to lift the front end. Often times, on logs I'd normally be only able to get the wheel to the top of, and then have to push over, I was able to flick the front all the way over the log. I was also able to bunny hop better clearing small stuff. There are a few spots were you can get some air off a bump or a log ramp and instead of having to really forcefully pull up else wise endo-ing, I was able to just glide off the ramp and get some decent air time while having a nice smooth, rear wheel first, landing. The whole bike just felt more playful.

Included in the box was a T-shirt and a poster. I don't care much for posters but the thought was nice. I LOVE free t-shirts. I love them. So that was a nice cherry on top.

All in all, if you're thinking about upgrading and you ride often enough that it will matter for you, do it. This was my first time riding an air fork and I was thoroughly impressed. The XCT did it's job. It got me into the sport but I'll never buy a bike with an entry level fork again.

TL;DR Everything is better with a proper fork. Descending, climbing, steering, logging.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sternomac View Post
    The XCT did it's job. It got me into the sport but I'll never buy a bike with an entry level fork again.

TL;DR Everything is better with a proper fork. Descending, climbing, steering, logging.
    +1
    Now, I just have to start saving up for my next bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kope007 View Post
    Just FYI,
    I went with the Epicon 26" 9mm from Amazon and imo it is badass. Was going to do the Raidon but couldn't resist rolling the dice for the extra weight savings of the Epicon.

It came straight from Tawian, probably fell off the back of a truck or something.

I had to contact the seller because the one I ordered, the pic was black, but after I ordered I noticed the description said white. He emailed me back in like 5 minutes saying he would send the black no problem. It took about 10 days including weekends. The same seller has them on Ebay as well.

Not to take away from the excellent program thier offering here, just more info on another potential option. I doubt I'll have the support system if I have problems with it, so that's something to consider.
    Amazon usually has great prices. This does make me wonder about the "deal" we are getting through this upgrade program.
    I would expect Amazon to sell the forks less than MSRP BUT I figured that this program would be at lest $30 lower than anywhere else.

I would still rather go with this program than order from Amazon mainly for the customer support but now I just don't feel like the "deal" is as great as I thought.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    Amazon usually has great prices. This does make me wonder about the "deal" we are getting through this upgrade program.
    I would expect Amazon to sell the forks less than MSRP BUT I figured that this program would be at lest $30 lower than anywhere else.

I would still rather go with this program than order from Amazon mainly for the customer support but now I just don't feel like the "deal" is as great as I thought.
    I am glad someone else said it. Ever since the price went up for the "New" models this really isn't a deal anymore. At $150 it was an ok deal, but not at $180 (for the Raidon).

Maybe the customer service is worth it, but I am not really sure how this is a loyalty program.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by xceebeex View Post
    I am glad someone else said it. Ever since the price went up for the "New" models thus really isn't a deal anymore. At $150 it was an ok deal, but not at $180 (for the Raidon).

Maybe the customer service is worth it, but I am not really sure how this is a loyalty program.

Are you guys talking 26 or 29 inch forks?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

I was referring to 26 inch, but I believe the same is true for 29 inch prices.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    This one is for 26". I haven't really looked for 29"
    Amazon.com: 2013 SR Suntour Epicon X2 MTB Fork 100mm Remote Lockout White Mountain Bike: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    Got ya. Just trying to be clear because there are price differences for the 26 and 29. For instance the "new" price for a Raidon 26 is the same as the "old" price for a Raidon 29. Just trying to minimize confusion for people coming to the thread and trying to make sense of it all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I just wanted to add that I am not trying to discredit Nick or Suntour's program. I still think these forks are a great option for someone like myself that doesn't want to spend $300-400 (50% of the cost of my bike) on a fork upgrade. $175-200ish for a fork upgrade is more inline with what I would want to pay.

mtbr member
    Hi All,

I'm going to take just a few minutes to catch up on everyone's ?'s here. First of all thanks for those that were very patient with us and their back orders. Some of you waited a month and a half. We realize that is a long time and we apologize in the delay but some of it was really out of our hands.

Those that had a long wait I made sure that there was a gift inside the box (T-shirt) so thanks again as we know you could have canceled your orders and looked elsewhere.

All 29'er Raidon's are in stock and shipipng the next business day. We have more stock coming in 26 and 27.5 for the Raidon's and they will be here in 4-6 weeks. Currently we have all Epicon's in 26-27.5-29. We are also including our Con-Panna grease in all of our aftermarket orders for servicing down the road.

In terms of our price going up, well that is for a few reasons. First we are currently only shipping MY2014 forks and the prices, as with everything else in this world has gone up just a small fraction but we also have moretaxes and tariffs and shipping cost so that is why the 29er went up to 189.99. from 175.00

As for the 26. We were selling MY2011/12 forks and there cost for them were lower but now that the 26 forks are MY2014 they will be priced as the same as the 29 and 27.5.

As for the link with the Amazon forks....these forks are well below what we pay from SR Suntour Taiwan and we are working on closing these types of vendors and how they obtain this product. We have obtained some of these forks and have found them to be B unit samples and models that we would not sell aftermarket as they have defects either cosmetically or worse mechanically. These forks are also our lowest end Epicon's and in terms of functionality are no better performing than the Raidon but they are no doubt 300g's lighter.

In terms of the value that you are receiving for these forks under the customer loyatly upgarde I believe it is a good one but that is always best decided for the individual making the purchase. The Raidon sells for $299.99 retail. The Epicon sells for $649.99. That's a pretty substantial discount on both of these forks not to mention we have a full assortment of replacement parts available and our ability to help with any service and or tech ?'s one would have about them.

thanks for reading as always.
    Nick nmoore@srsuntourna.com

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    As for the link with the Amazon forks....these forks are well below what we pay from SR Suntour Taiwan and we are working on closing these types of vendors and how they obtain this product. We have obtained some of these forks and have found them to be B unit samples and models that we would not sell aftermarket as they have defects either cosmetically or worse mechanically.
    If these forks have mechanical defects, why is Suntour allowing them to leave the factory ?

The Amazon/ebay sellers are buying them from somewhere, if they are left over OEM forks that the sellers are buying off bike manufacturers on the cheap then it doesn't say much for the forks that Suntour is supplying bike manufacturers does it.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    A note about going downhill. With all the speed, the bike just screams for hydro brakes. My Avid BB5 up front and BB7 in the back, while admittedly probably need some new pads, were just not stopping me fast enough when I needed it. More speed requires more stopping power.
    BB7's are a more powerful brake then the BB5's
    The front brake will stop you better then the rear brake and most of your braking should be done with the front brake.
    You'd be better off swapping your brakes around so you have the BB7 on the front and the BB5 on the rear.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast