Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 901 to 982 of 982
  1. #901
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    60
    See, now this guy is telling me the fork is crap and no bike above $700 should have that kind of low grade fork according to him. Crap, now I'm worried...

    So I scored a new 2015 Novara Ponderosa 29er for $261!

  2. #902
    Land of the 230+
    Reputation: GuitsBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Arct1c0n View Post
    See, now this guy is telling me the fork is crap and no bike above $700 should have that kind of low grade fork according to him. Crap, now I'm worried...

    So I scored a new 2015 Novara Ponderosa 29er for $261!
    Without knowing any better, I'd say that youre dealing with someone who does not own a recent suntour fork, and is still parroting the poor performance of their older lower end forks. Just like you cant judge a modern day Hyundai based on how the old 1989 Excel performed. Times change, technology and manufacturing marches on, and products (even lower end ones) improve.

    This is a thread based on people who actively own and ride modern suntour forks.

  3. #903
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    118
    Arct, you posted everywhere )
    That guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Yes the XCR air fork is not the best, but its not a bad fork either.
    And $400 bikes usually come with XCT forks. look at Specialized Rockhopper expert at $1150, come with the XCR Air fork.
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...pert-29/106299
    In fact, I would say the ponderosa that retailed for 1100 and you got much cheaper is equivalent to this rochopper expert.
    Also look at a Giant Talon 29er, at 850, comes with the lower end XCM coil fork.
    So most bikes 700 will not come with a fork as good as the XCR, usually you need to get to 1000 before you start seeing the XCR or Rockshox air forks.
    A trek Xcaliber 7 at $960 comes with a cheaper Rockshox XC30 coil fork.
    As someone said earlier, the XCR air is about equivalent to an XC32 solo air, or Recon silver.
    2015 Breezer Supercell Expert FS
    2015 REI Novara Ponderosa HT
    1991 Diamondback Apex Rigid

  4. #904
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Arct1c0n View Post
    See, now this guy is telling me the fork is crap and no bike above $700 should have that kind of low grade fork according to him. Crap, now I'm worried...
    Don't worry, the suntour XCR fork is good. He probably thinks a $600 fork is junk. It's a good fork for a $500-600 bike, excellent for a $281 one. At $700-800, I'd expect a better fork, but for an extra $200, I should get a better fork.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  5. #905
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    118
    I like the rest of what that guy said:
    2015 Novara Ponderosa 29er | Components and Reviews

    """"""""Wow,, "Entry-Level Components",, "The 2015 Novara Ponderosa 29er is a hardtail bike designed for trail riding. It has 29-inch wheels, an aluminum frame, 80 mm of travel, and entry-level components."

    ,,,Yup,,reading the specs' I found a Suntour XCR 80mm travel fork found on any $400 bike anywhere..Looks to me,,IMO you fell for the old mark em up to mark em down trick..

    The components on your very heavy Hard Tail trail bike read like every sub $500 bike In any bike shop, anywhere In the USA,,

    Ok so I may be very wrong but In this country $1,000 hard tails come with Good quality level Fox or Rockshox fork that works.. "That XCR Suntor is for light trail use only" so says a sticker on the lower leg. I had one,, and Its fine for mom and the kids on a dirt road but not for single track..

    AT $261 you got your money's worth. I'd pay that for that bike If I wanted such a steed.
    Just sayin,,, This Is my simple opinion on what I read about that bike...

    The $1,000 Hard Tails I see on the trails all come in at or less than 26 pounds, often far less,
    I don't think I've ever seen a mtb, any mtb cost over $700 with that XCR fork.. """""""""

    What $1000 dollar hardtail comes with Fox forks? As for entry level, I would think X7 is more mid level. I guess entry is in the eye of the beholder, if your riding XTR stuff, Deore, slx or X7 looks entry level. And at 28.6lbs its inline with other hardtails in the 1100 price range. But you got a 1100 bike for 261.
    Also would challenge anyone to find a sub 500 bike with similar components. You wont find it at airborne, or bikes direct with these components at 500 or less. I think you got more than your moneys worth for 261, what would a bike for 261 really look like, it would be crap, crap, crap... Guy is full of Shht, his bikes aren't even high end either. His bikes are alivio, deore level, the X7 is as good if not better.
    Last edited by roktoy; 03-11-2016 at 01:08 PM.
    2015 Breezer Supercell Expert FS
    2015 REI Novara Ponderosa HT
    1991 Diamondback Apex Rigid

  6. #906
    Land of the 230+
    Reputation: GuitsBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,704
    Quote Originally Posted by roktoy View Post
    Ok so I am very wrong but In this country it costs $1,000 to get a Good quality level Fox or Rockshox fork that works..
    Fixed that for him.

  7. #907
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Don't worry, the suntour XCR fork is good. He probably thinks a $600 fork is junk. It's a good fork for a $500-600 bike, excellent for a $281 one. At $700-800, I'd expect a better fork, but for an extra $200, I should get a better fork.
    Think it will handle my heavier weight of 230 at 6 foot? I'm not a light guy so others have said cheaper forks can't handle heavier people

  8. #908
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Arct1c0n View Post
    Think it will handle my heavier weight of 230 at 6 foot? I'm not a light guy so others have said cheaper forks can't handle heavier people
    When people say cheaper forks are not for heavier people, they are talking about cheap coil sprung forks, usually have 28 or 30mm sanctions. Those coils are sprung for average weight guys, like 180lbs. This fork has 32mm sanctions will be fine for your weight and what you want to do. You said its mostly street and some dirt trail riding, nothing extreme. Main thing for you was to get an air shock so you can pump it up for your weight. Plus its only set at 80mm travel, if it were 32mm tubes with 140mm travel and you were doing some knarly downhill's, yeah it might feel like a noodle.
    2015 Breezer Supercell Expert FS
    2015 REI Novara Ponderosa HT
    1991 Diamondback Apex Rigid

  9. #909
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,199
    Quote Originally Posted by roktoy View Post
    Main thing for you was to get an air shock so you can pump it up for your weight.
    probably one of the most important things you'll need to get any air fork to work for you. Change the pressure to get it how you like. Don't be afraid to adjust the pressure or rebound either. Every rider is different, every trail is different.
    http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-High-.../dp/B005543YUE

    Since you bought this at REI, if you have an REI nearby, you could probably stop by their shop and have them adjust the pressure. Alternative is to ask around your local bike riding group members or bike co-ops to see if they have one you could borrow for an afternoon.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  10. #910
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    probably one of the most important things you'll need to get any air fork to work for you. Change the pressure to get it how you like. Don't be afraid to adjust the pressure or rebound either. Every rider is different, every trail is different.
    http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-High-.../dp/B005543YUE

    Since you bought this at REI, if you have an REI nearby, you could probably stop by their shop and have them adjust the pressure. Alternative is to ask around your local bike riding group members or bike co-ops to see if they have one you could borrow for an afternoon.
    I would set the 80mm XCR air fork to 20% sag, that's about 16mm sagged. And adjust from there to your liking.
    2015 Breezer Supercell Expert FS
    2015 REI Novara Ponderosa HT
    1991 Diamondback Apex Rigid

  11. #911
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    probably one of the most important things you'll need to get any air fork to work for you. Change the pressure to get it how you like. Don't be afraid to adjust the pressure or rebound either. Every rider is different, every trail is different.
    Amazon.com : RockShox High-Pressure Shock Pump (300 psi max) : Bike Suspension And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

    Since you bought this at REI, if you have an REI nearby, you could probably stop by their shop and have them adjust the pressure. Alternative is to ask around your local bike riding group members or bike co-ops to see if they have one you could borrow for an afternoon.

    I haven't picked it up yet, and I need to have the handlebars and grips swapped out and possibly the seat too, so I will get the pressure and sag adjusted to me on the spot

  12. #912
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SRvancouver13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    184
    I'd continue riding the XCR Air as well : )

    Cheers, Nick

    BTW. We are getting ready to launch some pretty exciting news about the upgrade program.........more to come next week.
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

  13. #913
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: AshevilleMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    I'd continue riding the XCR Air as well : )

    Cheers, Nick

    BTW. We are getting ready to launch some pretty exciting news about the upgrade program.........more to come next week.
    Subscribed!

  14. #914
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    649
    I have a 27.5 straight steerer XCM 120mm travel with 30 mm stanchions on my hardtail. It came stock with the bike.

    I don't think the program could work with our dealers in Honduras, but I'd like to have a few options to buy, like Amazon or that sort of things.
    As far as I know, the Epicon is travel adjustable and I could make it a 140mm fork (no travel restrictions for my frame), so that would be a pretty solid option for my riding, but is there any other good option with straight steerer from Suntour? Nick, maybe you can help me with that.
    It would be pretty good for my non serious XC racing riding, but I'll also use this bike for general AM use and a few non serious DH races, so i'd like to have something a little bit more beefier than an Epicon. I'm kinda light at 150lbs though, so maybe the Epicon would be enough, but you tell me.

    I would love to have some recommendations! Thanks in advance.

  15. #915
    mtbr member
    Reputation: banditpowdercoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    366
    My wife's Kona has a XCR and mine came with XCT. hers was miles better. Now I got a Raidon and truthfully I don't feel any difference in the two except the raidon I can adjust sag a lot more. Damping still works great on both.


    Sent from my iPhone while my Heli plays with the gophers

  16. #916
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,199
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    I'd continue riding the XCR Air as well : )

    Cheers, Nick
    So the guy who sells the forks says the old one is fine? That's honest customer service if I ever heard it. Not often you go and ask a salesman if you should upgrade and they say you don't need to.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  17. #917
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davidfs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    So the guy who sells the forks says the old one is fine? That's honest customer service if I ever heard it. Not often you go and ask a salesman if you should upgrade and they say you don't need to.
    Their whole upgrade program is fantastic imo, when I first heard about it I assumed they took back the old fork to rebuild and sell as refurbished or something, but they don't. I'm not aware of any similar programs from companies in other fields either.

  18. #918
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    I'd continue riding the XCR Air as well : )

    Cheers, Nick

    BTW. We are getting ready to launch some pretty exciting news about the upgrade program.........more to come next week.
    Really? Why that? I'm surprised you, from the company say no also

  19. #919
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SRvancouver13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    184
    Hi.

    The XCR air is 85-90% of what the Raidon is. The only difference is the air spring chamber and the alloy stanchions and a steel vs aluminum LO R cartridge. Sure, the Raidon is lighter but not enough to really warrant spending the money to upgrade. The performance is what matters and in terms of riding performance they are almost identical.

    You get all the features of the Raidon with the XCR Air only with a slight weight penalty.

    If I were looking to spend money burning a hole in my pocket I'd get a good set of tyres for the riding in my area. More grip equals better speed and more stability.

    Cheers.

    Nick
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

  20. #920
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    118
    Nick, good to know the performance and features are about the same, what is the is the difference in the air spring chambers, i also heard the XCR comes with plastic bushings instead of metal bushing that come on the Raidon? Is that true, or is that specific to the coil sprung XCR?
    2015 Breezer Supercell Expert FS
    2015 REI Novara Ponderosa HT
    1991 Diamondback Apex Rigid

  21. #921
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    Hi.

    The XCR air is 85-90% of what the Raidon is. The only difference is the air spring chamber and the alloy stanchions and a steel vs aluminum LO R cartridge. Sure, the Raidon is lighter but not enough to really warrant spending the money to upgrade. The performance is what matters and in terms of riding performance they are almost identical.

    You get all the features of the Raidon with the XCR Air only with a slight weight penalty.

    If I were looking to spend money burning a hole in my pocket I'd get a good set of tyres for the riding in my area. More grip equals better speed and more stability.

    Cheers.

    Nick

    Wow, thank you much for you sincerity and honesty about your own product even though it prevents a sale/trade in your companies favor!

  22. #922
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    Hi.

    The XCR air is 85-90% of what the Raidon is. The only difference is the air spring chamber and the alloy stanchions and a steel vs aluminum LO R cartridge. Sure, the Raidon is lighter but not enough to really warrant spending the money to upgrade. The performance is what matters and in terms of riding performance they are almost identical.

    You get all the features of the Raidon with the XCR Air only with a slight weight penalty.

    If I were looking to spend money burning a hole in my pocket I'd get a good set of tyres for the riding in my area. More grip equals better speed and more stability.

    Cheers.

    Nick

    Also, how do I modify the shock to get 100mm travel?

  23. #923
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    649
    Soo...anyone wanna help me out with my question?

  24. #924
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davidfs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    276
    I don't know the answer, but it shouldn't be too hard for you to find with a little searching
    Riding a Brooks saddle mounted to Reynolds 853

  25. #925
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidfs View Post
    I don't know the answer, but it shouldn't be too hard for you to find with a little searching

    We'll that was about as useful as tits on a borehog

  26. #926
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Deartist7 View Post
    Soo...anyone wanna help me out with my question?

    I would PM nick directly

  27. #927
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davidfs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Arct1c0n View Post
    We'll that was about as useful as tits on a borehog
    In the time you took to be snarky, you could have searched Google and come up with all these results, the mbr.co.uk link appears to be good, although I didn't watch the video:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=cxr+...obile&ie=UTF-8
    Riding a Brooks saddle mounted to Reynolds 853

  28. #928
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidfs View Post
    In the time you took to be snarky, you could have searched Google and come up with all these results, the mbr.co.uk link appears to be good, although I didn't watch the video:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=cxr+...obile&ie=UTF-8



  29. #929
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    I'd continue riding the XCR Air as well : )

    Cheers, Nick

    BTW. We are getting ready to launch some pretty exciting news about the upgrade program.........more to come next week.

    I am ready for an upgrade, I will wait for that news!

  30. #930
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    118
    There is a spacer you move inside that changes the travel from 80 to 100mm. Process is same for raidon, look on suntour site. There isnt specific instructions for xcr air, it should be similar to other spacer forks. If you do, would be good to have someone dona how to guide on it.
    2015 Breezer Supercell Expert FS
    2015 REI Novara Ponderosa HT
    1991 Diamondback Apex Rigid

  31. #931
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SRvancouver13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    184
    Hi All.

    There is the update that I promised last week. Still working out some bugs but I think this will be a big hit for a lot of unhappy fork owner's out there.

    SR SUNTOUR UPGRADE PROGRAM

    SR SUNTOUR North America is revising our upgrade program to reach a broader range of cyclist. Starting immediately we are offering this program to riders using products from other brands as well as current SR SUNTOUR owners. This program is designed to allow riders using less than ideal equipment to upgrade to a fork that will perform at a higher level than what they currently own and ride and be purchased at a substantially discounted price from MSRP.

    The rules to apply are the same as they have been in the past. Applicants must be the original owner of the bike or fork that they are upgrading from. A valid proof of purchase must be submitted and we would require the serial number of any SR SUNTOUR fork. We will not require the serial number from a competitorís fork and we do not require the fork to be sent to us.

    SR SUNTOUR North America has increased the available products through the upgrade program so that there is a fork for every rider and their riding style. The following forks will be available through the upgrade path.

    XCR LO 24 AIR $149.95
    RAIDON XC LO R AIR $199.95
    AION LO R 15QLC2 $349.95
    AION RC 15QLC2 $349.95
    AURON RC2 TI 15QLC2 $449.95
    AXON WERX RL RC 15QLC $599.95
    DUROLUX R2C2 20QLC $549.95
    RUX R2C2 200 T DS $799.95

    To place your order, please submit an email with your required information and we will get back with you within 1 business day with a coupon code to use at the time of check out. Note that all orders with SR SUNTOUR North America ship for free domestically over $49.95

    If you have any further questions feel free to email us or call us at 1-855-205-BIKE.

    Cheers, Nick
    nmoore@srsuntourna.com

    SR SUNTOUR Forks Parts Service Repair
    Last edited by SRvancouver13; 03-24-2016 at 02:46 PM.
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

  32. #932
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: AshevilleMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    Hi All.

    There is the update that I promised last week. Still working out some bugs but I think this will be a big hit for a lot of unhappy fork owner's out there.

    SR SUNTOUR UPGRADE PROGRAM

    SR SUNTOUR North America is revising our upgrade program to reach a broader range of cyclist. Starting immediately we are offering this program to riders using products from other brands as well as current SR SUNTOUR owners. This program is designed to allow riders using less than ideal equipment to upgrade to a fork that will perform at a higher level than what they currently own and ride and be purchased at a substantially discounted price from MSRP.

    The rules to apply are the same as they have been in the past. Applicants must be the original owner of the bike or fork that they are upgrading from. A valid proof of purchase must be submitted and we would require the serial number of any SR SUNTOUR fork. We will not require the serial number from a competitorís fork and we do not require the fork to be sent to us.

    SR SUNTOUR North America has increased the available products through the upgrade program so that there is a fork for every rider and their riding style. The following forks will be available through the upgrade path.

    XCR LO 24 AIR $149.95
    RAIDON XC LO R AIR $199.95
    AION LO R 15QLC2 $349.95
    AION RC 15QLC2 $349.95
    AURON RC2 TI 15QLC2 $449.95
    AXON WERX RL RC 15QLC $599.95
    DUROLUX R2C2 20QLC $549.95
    RUX R2C2 200 T DS $799.95

    To place your order, please submit an email with your required information and we will get back with you within 1 business day with a coupon code to use at the time of check out. Note that all orders with SR SUNTOUR North America ship for free domestically over $49.95

    If you have any further questions feel free to email us or call us at 1-855-205-BIKE.


    That's awesome!

    Question, can upgraded users upgrade again to a higher model? I upgraded from the xcr to Raidon. Could I upgrade from Raidon to something better?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. #933
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,199
    Sweet. any news on a suntour fatbike fork?
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  34. #934
    Land of the 230+
    Reputation: GuitsBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,704
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    sweet. Any news on a suntour fatbike fork?
    this!!! So much of this!!!

  35. #935
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SRvancouver13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    184
    No Fat Bike forks in the pipeline as of yet.

    Several options for + wheels next year.

    Cheers. Nick
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

  36. #936
    Land of the 230+
    Reputation: GuitsBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,704
    Glad to hear the plus will be coming out. I seem to recall seeing a take-off B+ Raidon for sale. Will any plus forks be available as part of the upgrade program?

    But seriously, who's idea was it to sleep on the fatbike forks and give the bluto a monopoly? In fact, I dont even think theres a single straight tube suspension fork out there at all, unless maybe the RST. I would have thought this would be be a boon for suntour. Cant you just go march into the engineering department and kick some asses into gear for us?

  37. #937
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davidfs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    That's awesome!

    Question, can upgraded users upgrade again to a higher model? I upgraded from the xcr to Raidon. Could I upgrade from Raidon to something better?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm curious about this as well.
    Riding a Brooks saddle mounted to Reynolds 853

  38. #938
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,199
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Cant you just go march into the engineering department and kick some asses into gear for us?
    Oh, if it was only this easy.

    There are some straight steerer fat bike forks on a long boat from china, but they are all flexy. I really think a well made 32mm XCM or XCR quality fork would do wonders. A basic non-lockout, no rebound damping, dual spring XCM would be much better than the 25mm stanchion ones that are available now.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  39. #939
    mtbr member
    Reputation: milliesand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    339
    Thank you for the latest on the update program.

    I saw the post on the XCR air above, and I'm the fence with my XCR spring. Using the serial number from this fork on your website shows it to be a '14 model with 32MM stanchions, straight steerer and 9MM QR.

    Am I reading the specs right, the only fork I could find the 9MM QR and straight steerer would be the radion? I'm about 110 Kilos ready to ride. Maybe I should just update the spring?

  40. #940
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gplara73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    26
    I just sent an email to request the coupon code to get my son's bike an XCR 24 LO AIR fork.
    Mine:
    2014 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29"

    Son:
    2014 Specialized Hotrock Disc 24"

  41. #941
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GabTheAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    5
    Can I upgrade from Mexico? I got a felt nine 80 with a '13 xct

    Sent from my LG-H960 using Tapatalk

  42. #942
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    649
    I just sent you a PM Nick. Thanks in advance.

  43. #943
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nate3510's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    289
    I want to pick up the AURON RC2 15QLC and am wondering what travel setting it is shipped in?

  44. #944
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    15
    Hi Nick,
    I purchased the 26" RaidonXC LO-R through the program last year and am wanting to change the travel from 100mm to120mm. Upon disassembly I noticed there are 4 holes for possible adjustment, I thought 80-100-120mm is the adjustment range so what is the forth hole for?
    Thanks for any info you can provide.
    Last edited by Paschfire; 04-07-2016 at 07:11 PM.

  45. #945
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: AshevilleMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,679
    My Raidon fork is blown just a about year after buying it. Don't know if the warranty department will help me much now.

  46. #946
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RC51 RIDER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    66
    I seen this Radon Fork as the 2016 model would this be the one for the upgrade for my Giant Revel 29er ?

    ?

    Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

  47. #947
    B A N N E D
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,760
    Quote Originally Posted by RC51 RIDER View Post
    I seen this Radon Fork as the 2016 model would this be the one for the upgrade for my Giant Revel 29er ?
    That's not the Raidon model that's in the upgrade program.

    http://srsuntourna.com/upgrade/

    http://emarket.srsuntourna.com/collections/forks

  48. #948
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 1consciousfella's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    17
    On the fence whether to get the Suntour Raidon XC-LO-R throught the upgrade program or a RockShox Recon Silver TK Solo Air. Only a 13 dollar difference between the two, with the raidon being the more expensive. Any suggestions? both 2016 models.

  49. #949
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,199
    benefits for each. The raidon is a lighter fork with alloy stanchions. The rockshox is easier to service and steel stanchions (which are more resilient to scratches but heavier). You can't go wrong with either, so you have to choose, performance vs. longevity.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  50. #950
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 1consciousfella's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    benefits for each. The raidon is a lighter fork with alloy stanchions. The rockshox is easier to service and steel stanchions (which are more resilient to scratches but heavier). You can't go wrong with either, so you have to choose, performance vs. longevity.
    Thanks for the reply! Just ordered. I chose the RockShox for the simple fact of easier service, and it comes with a starnut & rebuild kit included.

  51. #951
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    4
    Do any heavier riders run the Raidon 29er air fork? I'm around 285ish (and working on it).

  52. #952
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SRvancouver13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    184
    Hey Big Steve.

    We don't have any weight restrictions on our forks.

    Cheers, Nick.
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

  53. #953
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,199
    Maximum Pressure restrictions?
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  54. #954
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SRvancouver13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    184
    150lbs is max air pressure for Raidon.
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

  55. #955
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,413
    I have to give some big props to Nick.

    I ordered a Raidon for my son on a Friday and had the fork in my office the next Monday. I couldn't believe how quickly it got here.

    Seems like a pretty nice fork. He hasn't ridden any trails with it just yet, but likes it around the driveway.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  56. #956
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    649
    Nick, I sent you a PM around a month ago. I would like to have it answered if it's not something too hard to answer.

  57. #957
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nate3510's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by Deartist7 View Post
    Nick, I sent you a PM around a month ago. I would like to have it answered if it's not something too hard to answer.
    Send him an email. Works much better. NMoore@srsuntourna.com


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  58. #958
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate3510 View Post
    Send him an email. Works much better. NMoore@srsuntourna.com


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh, alright! I'll do that then. Thanks!

  59. #959
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    573
    Wanted to do this 2 summers ago but,... life

    Tuesday at 1:07 PM PST I emailed about the upgrade.
    At 1:53 PM PST I received a reply with the discount code
    Ordered the part
    at 2:48 PM PST I received the Shipping Order with tracking number.

    Talk about QUICK!

    at approximately 1:40 PM today I took possession of the new fork.
    Serious upgrade within 48 hrs.

    Sooo, now I'm sitting in cubeville with my new fork behind me and I'm wondering why I don't bail due to a bad case of Upgradeitis and go home and get this fork installed...

  60. #960
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davidfs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    Wanted to do this 2 summers ago but,... life

    Tuesday at 1:07 PM PST I emailed about the upgrade.
    At 1:53 PM PST I received a reply with the discount code
    Ordered the part
    at 2:48 PM PST I received the Shipping Order with tracking number.

    Talk about QUICK!

    at approximately 1:40 PM today I took possession of the new fork.
    Serious upgrade within 48 hrs.

    Sooo, now I'm sitting in cubeville with my new fork behind me and I'm wondering why I don't bail due to a bad case of Upgradeitis and go home and get this fork installed...
    That's a good question... and congrats!!
    Riding a Brooks saddle mounted to Reynolds 853

  61. #961
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SRvancouver13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    184
    Hi All.

    Just wanted to make sure that the new landing page for the upgrade program is here.

    We made some changes to our website to help with Navigation and spiff things up a little.

    Also, with all our forks over $500.00 retail we are offering a WERX tune right out of our warehouse. It includes fork travel settings, air spring adjustments and in some cases tuned negative springs for long travel forks not to mention some other neat little things.

    As the comment above shows, we are shipping out forks pretty quickly so while there is still some summer get your orders in with us or just go out and enjoy the trails.

    SR SUNTOUR Upgrade Program ? SR SUNTOUR NA Inc.

    Nick.
    nmoore@srsuntour.com
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

  62. #962
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SRvancouver13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    184
    This may interest some of you!

    Epixon available through the upgrade program.

    $289.95. Ready to start shipping in 1 week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork-epixon-9.jpg  

    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

  63. #963
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    44
    What is the difference between the Radion, Epicon, and Epixon? Which are available for a 26" wheel and a 1 1/8" straight steerer?

  64. #964
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    31
    I just ordered a Giant Fathom 27.5 1, it comes with an Axon LO-RC 120mm. I have a couple of questions for the Suntour rep here, first I don't see on your website any information on my fork. I only see 80-100mm Axon's in 2 different varieties, can you give me any details on my specific for (owners manual or differences from the 80-100mm version). Also if I decided to upgrade the fork through your company which fork would be the next level up?

  65. #965
    B A N N E D
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,760
    Quote Originally Posted by flowrida2480 View Post
    I just ordered a Giant Fathom 27.5 1, it comes with an Axon LO-RC 120mm. I have a couple of questions for the Suntour rep here, first I don't see on your website any information on my fork. I only see 80-100mm Axon's in 2 different varieties, can you give me any details on my specific for (owners manual or differences from the 80-100mm version). Also if I decided to upgrade the fork through your company which fork would be the next level up?
    * 2016 models were 80/100/120mm.
    * Forks on the Suntour website are 'aftermarket models' which can different to the 'OEM models' that bike manufacturers put on their bikes, OEM forks sometimes have the specs of the previous year model.
    * Axon Werx are the top model XC fork, what you have is the model below it, there isn't anything in the upgrade program that's better then what you already have.

    The upgrade program is for upgrading very basic coil spring forks to a intermediate air forks with better performance.

    2016 Axon owners manual: http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/fil...16-english.pdf

  66. #966
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,734
    I would like to confirm that the upgrade program will continue for 2017?

  67. #967
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10,818
    Not only is it continuing, they're expanding it to all other forks.

    "SR SUNTOUR North America is revising our upgrade program to reach a broader range of cyclist. Starting immediately we are offering this program to riders using products from other brands as well as current SR SUNTOUR owners."

    https://www.srsuntour.com/pages/upgrade

  68. #968
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,734
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Not only is it continuing, they're expanding it to all other forks.

    "SR SUNTOUR North America is revising our upgrade program to reach a broader range of cyclist. Starting immediately we are offering this program to riders using products from other brands as well as current SR SUNTOUR owners."

    https://www.srsuntour.com/pages/upgrade
    Awesome. That's great news!

  69. #969
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve76 View Post
    Do any heavier riders run the Raidon 29er air fork? I'm around 285ish (and working on it).
    Im running one. Im at 320ish. I run 20 ccs of oil in the air chamber set at 120cm.

  70. #970
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RC51 RIDER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    66
    I want to replace the fork on my 2014 Giant Revel 29er and want to know if I need a straight or tapered ?

    Sent from my Samsung Note 5

  71. #971
    B A N N E D
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,760
    Quote Originally Posted by RC51 RIDER View Post
    I want to replace the fork on my 2014 Giant Revel 29er and want to know if I need a straight or tapered ?
    Look under the crown and measure.

    Name:  977844d1427992417t-cant-get-reba-rl-fork-out-frame-crown.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  34.0 KB

    Name:  977849d1427992719t-cant-get-reba-rl-fork-out-frame-steerer1.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  21.9 KB

    * If it's tapered, take the top cap off the stem and measure size of the top of the steering tube, some tapered forks on Giant bikes have 'overdrive' steering tubes of 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" (1.5" to 1.25") instead of the usual 1 1/2" to 1 1/8" (1.5" to 1.125")

  72. #972
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SRvancouver13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    184
    Hello Everyone!

    Well, I hope everyone made it out of winter ok (sorry for those still in Canada!).

    SR SUNTOUR North America has revamped the offerings for the upgrade program for 2017 and updated a few oldie's but goodies.

    Here is the list.

    XCR LO 24 AIR $149.95 (Kid's 24" air fork)
    RAIDON XC LO R AIR $199.95
    RAIDON XC RL R AIR $229.95
    EPIXON 9 LO R $289.95
    EPIXON 9 RL R $319.95
    AION RC PCS 650B+ Boost 15QLC $424.95
    AURON RC2 PCS 650B+ Boost 15QLC $524.95

    All of this is also available on the Upgrade Landing page.

    https://www.srsuntour.com/pages/upgrade

    As always, anyone that has a question, comment or just want to say hi can email me.

    Happy Summer to all and see you out on the trail.

    Cheers, Nick.

    nmoore@srsuntour.com
    855-205-BIKE
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

  73. #973
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,538
    cool.

    you can find various new epixons on ebay for like $180 shipped, which is where I got mine. Also check amazon.

  74. #974
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,070
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    cool.

    you can find various new epixons on ebay for like $180 shipped, which is where I got mine. Also check amazon.
    An Epixon from amazon or ebay can be a bit of a minefield with random versions, mix&match parts, and/or counterfeit products (especially non-domestic ebay stuff). Gotta be extra careful with that if going that route. Not sure I'd point new riders in that direction.

  75. #975
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SRvancouver13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    184
    Hi.

    The Epixon's that SR SUNTOUR North America are selling are not what you are getting on Amazon or other 3rd party sellers. That fork is more or less a XCR fork. Which yes, we sell for $189.95 direct. But the Raidon would be a better upgrade over the XCR for just about the same price through the upgrade program.

    Anyway, this has been discussed on several forums and threads so I won't go down that rabbit whole too much but here is a refresher.

    The Epixon's we are offering use our Premium Level Aluminum Emulsion dampers that are fully serviceable. Come with all CNC aluminum levers and dials and have butted stanchion tubes.

    Anyway, Thanks for all that have given us feedback on the program as we have taken a lot of that info and expanded the options for 2017.

    Take it easy.
    Nick
    nmmore@srsuntour.com
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

  76. #976
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,199
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    Anyway, this has been discussed on several forums and threads so I won't go down that rabbit whole too much...
    Come on. Rabbit holes are fun.

    Are the raidon forks easily serviced (although not completely rebuildable like the Epixon)? I know there is a "Products - Parts" section on the suntour website, but don't know what's required for service vs. doing a rebuild on something like a rockshox fork. Assuming the rebound side is working well ($80 for the cartridge if it's not), it looks like all you'd need is new oil, new wipers at $18 and a new air cap/o-ring for $10. Minus labor, less than $40 for a simple rebuild. Compared to a rockshox recon rebuild, not too bad money wise and a lot easier.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  77. #977
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    Hi.

    The Epixon's that SR SUNTOUR North America are selling are not what you are getting on Amazon or other 3rd party sellers. That fork is more or less a XCR fork. Which yes, we sell for $189.95 direct. But the Raidon would be a better upgrade over the XCR for just about the same price through the upgrade program.

    Anyway, this has been discussed on several forums and threads so I won't go down that rabbit whole too much but here is a refresher.

    The Epixon's we are offering use our Premium Level Aluminum Emulsion dampers that are fully serviceable. Come with all CNC aluminum levers and dials and have butted stanchion tubes.

    Anyway, Thanks for all that have given us feedback on the program as we have taken a lot of that info and expanded the options for 2017.

    Take it easy.
    Nick
    nmmore@srsuntour.com
    OK, i get it, it's your job. Thanks for being open about it instead of AstroTurfing.

    How do you even know the epixon from other sources are not the same as yours? If you have been buying htem, show us the evidence of the differences. It's easy to post pictures.

    You're lying about them being hte same as XCR. "3d party", another way is saying your competition. I have ridden an official XCR fork from a LBS bike. My epicon, bought from your competitors, BLOWS IT OUT of the water. It's not even close.

    For readers on here, please be aware of biases and be skeptical.

    to any people ont he fence, the epicon/epixon is a lot nicer than the XCR. the difference between the XCT coil and XCR coil is small compared to this (i ride both). I haven't not ridden XCR air. I can't speak to the raidon, haven't ridden it. Epicon/epixon is a great underrated fork, and amazing deal at $180 shipped.

    Thank you suntour engineers (not you marketing = advertisement propaganda), for creating the epicon/epixon; it deserves way more market penetration that it has.

  78. #978
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,199
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    How do you even know the epixon from other sources are not the same as yours? If you have been buying htem, show us the evidence of the differences. It's easy to post pictures.
    This would probably be impossible because there are so many sellers, and they all have different forks. Some might have legitimate 3 year old epixons, some might be XCR airs, some might be 2006 fox forks with spray paint and stickers. With the upgrade program, you're guaranteed to get the current year's fork with warranty. With ebay, your guaranteed to get a fork (maybe a spork).
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  79. #979
    Land of the 230+
    Reputation: GuitsBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,704
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    I have ridden an official XCR fork from a LBS bike. My epicon, bought from your competitors, BLOWS IT OUT of the water. It's not even close.
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob
    I haven't not ridden XCR air.
    Double negative aside, I'm pretty sure he was comparing the Asian sourced Epixons to the XCR-Air, not the coil version.

    Do you have a weight on your asian sourced epixon? That might be a clue as to what materials the stanchions and lowers are made of. But you still may have a lower spec damper, even if its in a legit epixon upper and lower. Bike brands can get the OEM to build a fork however they want, cutting corners where they choose, but keeping the name. Its very common for OEM takeoff forks to be lower spec than retail versions.

    And for what it's worth, I happen to own two 2013 Epicons, one an Asian sourced DS-RL-R-LITE, and the second is a retail XC-DS-RL-RC-15QLC. While the asian sourced one works fairly well for the money, there is no comparison to the fit, finish, build quality, and ultimately, ride quality of the retail fork. The retail fork still lives on one of my primary bikes, where as the asian sourced one is relegated to the loaner/beater.

  80. #980
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    25
    I was going to email Nick directly, but figured this might be a better place to post my question.

    I've been considering a fork upgrade on my full rigid 2010 Redline d440 for quite some time, and am curious about the differences between the Raidon (which many seem to love for the price) and the newer Epixon (Suntour NA, non-Amazon/ebay version). For the $90 bump in price, are you gaining much more than ~0.8 lbs in weight savings? In terms of function, servicing and performance, what does the Epixon offer that the Raidon does not?

    For reference, the Redline has a chromoly rigid fork and I will be looking for a straight steerer, 29" fork with disc mounts, 9mm QR, and 100mm travel. So, any suspension fork I add will mean additional weight.

  81. #981
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    7
    Just to give a shout out to Nick and SR Suntour, I replaced the RST Gila on my Trek Marlin 6 to a Raidon and it's so much better. The shipping was quick and Nick was awesome to deal with. Thanks, Nick and Suntour!

  82. #982
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    35
    ordered 2 Raidons for me and the wife, should be here Tuesday, can't wait to try them out.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Members who have read this thread: 188

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •