1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

If you started riding a bike to lose weight...

How much weight have you lost? In April I weighed 205 lbs. This morning I weighed in at 182.5 lbs. I hope to be in the 170 to 175 range by the end of Sept.

How is it going for you?

May 2009
    I have lost 10 pounds in 5 years. I am up to about 1500 miles a year of single track and will turn 5K on the road this year.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

scared to post
    I went from 225 to 150.
    i'm not joking, posting is scary

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by A from Il
    I am up to about 1500 miles a year of single track and will turn 5K on the road this year.
    YOU are living the life. What part of the country are you in? Sounds like you must have a lot of cool trails to hit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by radiocraig
    I went from 225 to 150.
    Dude...that's manly. That is some serious motivation!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    muddytire-

About 208 in mid-July. Got a new FS ride last week of July and have ridden practically every day since between a min. of 5 and a max. of 28 miles a day. With eating a little less thrown in I'm down to around 198-199 now. I'd love to do what you've done by next spring if this winter in PA isn't as extreme as it was last season and get back to my college weight in the low 170s.

DynoDon
    I started in April like every year, but I don't work anymore, I started at 240+, I rode a MB on the road until mid June then started Mountain biking, I was down to about 230, now I'm down to 210 at 5' 11" and 64 yrs old, my heart rate is down to 40 to 42 bpm, my doctor said whatever you're doing keep doing it, she rides a road bike, she is my VA Doctor, and a U of Michigan Doc too, I'm a lucky man, and she is beautiful, I'm suprised my heart hate didn't go up when I met her..LOL I have no weight goal in mind, just to stay healthy, improve my lap times, and ride as much as I can.. Keep them PEDALS moving....

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    I started MTB about 2 years ago now after spending 12years riding motorbikes. I watched by best mate come off his at 270km/hr - and walk away from it - so from that expereince, we both gave up the motos and got MTBS.

When I started, I was 130kg (286 lbs). Im now 100kg (220lb) and am aiming to hit 80kg by this time next year. Its been hard, given Im self employed and numerous other priorities - but I now ride 50km to work everyday and do epic 100km rides most weekends.

Its my new drug.
    2013 Giant XTC Advanced SL0 Carbon
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

TRANCER
    I started mountain biking a year ago and was at 240. I went down to 205 in 6 months. Now I have gone up to 215 again. I just started to hit it hard again and am trying to move down to 185. And I'm not stopping till I get there.
    Ride

AZ
    banned
    Lost 45 lbs. so far this year , 15 more to go .

mtbr member
    Over the summer, Ive dropped about 15 pounds riding my mtb on the road mainly (due to rain). Got about 40 more to go...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    I just started to hit it hard again and am trying to move down to 185. And I'm not stopping till I get there.
    I love the attitude...sink the teeth in and don't let go. GET SOME!

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    I went from 195# at 5'11" in 1999 to 245# right now... I am getting back to my mountain bike roots in a month or so.. Have a deposit on a dirt rig..cant wait to hit the trails..
    I will be chronicling my progress.
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by muddytire
    YOU are living the life. What part of the country are you in? Sounds like you must have a lot of cool trails to hit.
    Believe it or not. Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin. Not alot of technical trails so its easy to get in alot of miles. I do ride year round though and get in alot of miles in the snow.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by A from Il
    Believe it or not. Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin. Not alot of technical trails so its easy to get in alot of miles. I do ride year round though and get in alot of miles in the snow.
    You ridin the Southern Kettles...? John Muir? See you in the snow!
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

locked - time out

Wink

Riding here in Florida in the summer it's so incredibly hot that I usually lose 8-10 lbs every single ride. I hydrate before the ride then drink my full 2.5 liter hydro pack during and drink a Gatorade on the way home post-ride. At the beginning of the summer I weighed 200lbs, 6' tall. I'm 185 now but I am honestly not trying to lose weight. It just happens like magic when I exercise more, eat less and drink more fluids. I find a happy medium between exercise and sloth and healthy food vs. the junk food I love.

mtbr member
    Down a little over 20 #'s since mid-June.

What's fantastic is that since I love the experience and thrill of hammering down trails in the middle of nowhere, it is a form of exercise I look forward to. I don't ever find myself not wanting to go ride.

Eff U Gee Em
    Jan 2004
    Spring '09, doc weighed me at 200#, which was a surprise, I thought I still weighed 180- I don't own a scale.

I built up a bike last June after a 10-year hiatus and lost 20# even with all the rain we had. I figure half that was from cutting soda out of my diet, 5 was from completely changing my diet, and 5 from riding. I pretty much ate grapes and drank water all summer. I gained back 5 over the winter, partially due to a surgery last fall, falling off a ladder, and because my knee was bothering me all winter and I didn't want to chance getting back into skiing.

This summer I have barely been riding. Despite all that, I only gained back about 5#, but I'm not as strong as I was at the end of last summer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've lost 28 pounds since March. Went from 232 to 204. My goal is to be at 180 this time next year.

usually cranky
    i weighed 140 at the begining of may and now i weigh 160. it may sound crazy but im actually trying to put on weight. shootin for 165-170.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Was 226 about 2 months ago... now 208. I ride the road bike for 40-60 minutes almost every evening, and ride the mtb about once per week.

--Michael

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase1996
    Down a little over 20 #'s since mid-June.

What's fantastic is that since I love the experience and thrill of hammering down trails in the middle of nowhere, it is a form of exercise I look forward to. I don't ever find myself not wanting to go ride.
    A BIG +1. It's like the harder and faster it is the more I like it. It kicks my arse but I simply can't wait for the next ride. And on every ride you hammer to get to the next cool section. I love it.

Years ago I injured my leg bad enough that I can't run...but the bike doesn't aggravate the injury at all.

mtbr member
    I got into it for the fun and potential weight loss. It seems like I either don't lose any weight or put some on. I don't actually own a scale though. I'm 5'6'' ~160 lbs and not overly fat but could stand to lose a few.

mtbr member
    5'10" and am down from 170 to 165. Would like to be 160-155, which I could probably do by cutting back on the beer alone, but naw...priorities. I'm more happy to note that since I took up MTB my systolic BP has dropped 10-20m Hg. Not that I was high mind, but that was a pleasant surprise because heart issues run in the family.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Heh, I ride to gain weight, as 6% body fat doesn't really leave much to lose...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast