mtbr member
    Jul 2017

If you could only have 2 bikes...

I've got a Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er and will be receiving a Santa Cruz Hightower LT in a couple weeks. I'm wondering if there is a recommended 2 bike combo that would be better than what I will have...for instance: Will i want to take the LT out on almost any XC/Trail ride and just have an Adventure bike instead of the Rockhopper?

What kinds of combos do you guys use and why?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The Hightower could be your quiver killer, but it all depends on you, your trails, and how you ride.

I could see having both, and finding times to ride each of them, but how I feel about your bikes is irrelevant. After the newness of the Hightower wears off, you'll see if you still ride the Rockhopper. In 6 months to a year, you'll have your answer.

As far as my MTB's go, I have a couple of 29" FS bikes, and a 29 plus hardtail (and a couple of vintage hardtails). I normally reach for the plus hardtail for the trails I ride. YMMV. Ride your own ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    The Hightower could be your quiver killer, but it all depends on you, your trails, and how you ride.

I could see having both, and finding times to ride each of them, but how I feel about your bikes is irrelevant. After the newness of the Hightower wears off, you'll see if you still ride the Rockhopper. In 6 months to a year, you'll have your answer.

As far as my MTB's go, I have a couple of 29" FS bikes, and a 29 plus hardtail (and a couple of vintage hardtails). I normally reach for the plus hardtail for the trails I ride. YMMV. Ride your own ride.
    Yea, I hear what you are saying. My guess is that when the mountains are dry and rideable in Montana I will ride them, but use the hardtail for the shoulder season rides where I have to use forest service roads and asphalt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Carbon 120ish mm trail 29er of your choice.

Carbon 100mm hardtail 29er for street training and singletrack hammerfests

How about an extra wheelset so I can make either Plus tire and/or a singlespeed rear wheel as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    For me: Just a couple of suspension fatbikes on which I switch out tires for different seasons/riding conditions.

Dirtjumper for pumptrack stuff and a DH for the rare trip anywhere lift-assist.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I doubt I would ride a HT if I had a decent mid travel plus or fat FS MTB. Would probably get more use out of a roadie as a second ride.

Get on your bike and ride
    Fargo and a Fat bike. And as soon as I sell the road bike I don't use and the recumbent I bought to help my shoulders (that doesn't work post back surgery as well as hoped) I'll Bluto the Fat bike.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    If it's me I would probably ditch the Rockhopper and go for more of a gravel grinder type bike, or at the least do some converting on the Rockhopper.

mtbr member
    I wish I could afford two bikes. First world problems!

I maintain one nice hardtail on my budget. it has its limits in the gnar and it's a bit of a drag on the road, but it can do both.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 07-17-2017 at 08:14 AM.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

Cycologist
    I shudder at such a thought…

but, if I was going to be riding forest roads and asphalt, I'd go with a gravel or CX. If not doing much of that, I'd stick with a hardtail to cover that and as a back up/change of pace for the trails.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    . .
    Last edited by MOJO K; 07-20-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    A super light SS hardtail and then FS hightower.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Rigid and full squish gives you the full range.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

mtbr member
    Mountain bike & road bike
    I brake for stinkbugs

MTB B'dos
    For me, I've come to the conclusion that my 2 bike stable is a steel, rigid PLUS bike and a short travel FS 29er.

I came to this conclusion because I don't like a HT that has a nice sus fork on it cashing cheques and then the rear is like WTF and you get yourself in trouble, also don't like having the head angle steepen up by up to 5 degrees with a 140mm fork on a HT. Right now my stable has in one of everything, rigid, HT, short travel FS 29er, mid travel FS 29er, but if I could only have 2, definitely would be the rigid and short travel FS.

Also, having them be so completely different makes it much easier to pick one depending on the trails I'm going to ride, if I'm riding solo or with a group, the skill level of the group, what I want/feel for the ride and also depending on how my body is currently feeling.

If you could only have 2 bikes...-dsc_3841_wp.jpg

If you could only have 2 bikes...-dscn4760.jpg
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

That guy
    An orange one and a black one.

mtbr member
    FS trail bike, CX/Grave bike, and a rigid 29er which is back up for either, or sometimes is nice just to ride something different.

You can find some deals on CX bikes on CL.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    FS trail bike and a gravel grinder/adventure bike. I have lots of tame trails within riding distance from my house, and the gravel bike spices up trails that aren't worth the hassel of driving the FS trail bike to.

Merendon Junkie
    A fatbike and a 140mm 27.5 trail bike. The fatbike can be converted to an xc 29er (and also B+ and 29+) with a quick swap of wheels.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    FS trail bike, CX/Grave bike, and a rigid 29er which is back up for either, or sometimes is nice just to ride something different.

You can find some deals on CX bikes on CL.
    I think this exact setup is what I want. I'd like to get a Specialized Diverge and fill out my lineup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6foot4 View Post
    I think this exact setup is what I want. I'd like to get a Specialized Diverge and fill out my lineup.
    Here they are 👍👍
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have 4 must haves for Michigan. 130mm fs for fun and some races, HT for races, fat bike for laughs and winter, and gravel bike for everything else. If only 2 I'd have to keep the fs and gravel bike. But I believe in the n+1 theory so that's not going to happen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I think in the end I'd like to add a Gravel Bike to the collection and probably call it good from there. 3 bikes isn't ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    A mountain (HT) and gravel bike, which happen to be the only 2 bikes that I currently own.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    2 bikes huh. first one would have to be the a 160 fs bike and then probably a gravel/cx bike.

but I would be sort of cheating with the FS bike because I can use the same frame for 27.5x2.5 with 165 travel, 27.5x2.8 and 29x2.3 with 130-140 travel with just the changing of shock (shorter stroke), fork and wheel set.