1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

If my bike hadn't been stolen, I wouldn't be riding today

A few months ago, my beloved carbon fiber Trek Y-11 was stolen. I honestly didn't use it much, and in fact I have not done any kind of offroad biking in almost 10 years. I've basically forgotten any skills more advanced than mastering which part of the bike to sit on. But I still loved that Y-11 even as it gathered dust--it was my only bike, for nearly 15 years.

I've been off the mountain forever, but once in a while I used the old Y-11 on a paved bike path with my girlfriend the roadie. With my antique bike and equally ancient helmet, gloves, and shoes, I probably looked like a time traveler. "1997 called and it wants its bike back!" people would yell. "SO'S YOUR FACE!" I yelled back.

But dammit, I loved my Flying Banana! "It's good enough," I'd say in between bounces. "I've got slicks on it. (boing) I am NOT getting a road bike and becoming a bird person!"

If I still had the Flying Banana, I would still stubbornly be bouncing along a bike path on that pogo stick suspension once every 6 months... and probably not doing any other riding.

But, having no bike at all, I reasoned that I had to get something no matter how little I had actually been riding in recent years. With my girlfriend interested in learning to do mountain biking too, the end of this model year and summer seemed like a good time to get a couple of new rides. So, we now have a pair of 2011 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29ers.

I have to admit that the modern Stumpy is about 1000x the bike the Flying Banana was, but I'll sure miss bouncing around on that eye-catching antique. If you see anyone around Seattle on this ugly old museum piece, please send me a PM--or, just run them over with your car so no one can have it. I'd appreciate it.

Nothing will ever look like the Flying Banana, but at least I got my new Stumpy in the uncommon test team red & black. Now, it's time to get it dirty.

See you on the mountain, or perhaps I'll wave at you from an ambulance leaving the trailhead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails If my bike hadn't been stolen, I wouldn't be riding today-y11-side.jpg  

If my bike hadn't been stolen, I wouldn't be riding today-sj29er.jpg  

Australia = phun
    Sep 2010
    Nice story, nice bikes!

mtbr member
    May 2011

... and if we just ...

That flying banana looks sweet

mtbr member
    The Trek does look special. I can imagine how painful it could be to lose it. I feel your pain.

On the other hand, those Stumpjumpers are real (contemporary) mountain bikes and I'm sure you'll enjoy the heck out of them. Perhaps all's well that ends well?

By the way, is it just me, or is there zero clearance between the fork brace and the front tire on the white one in that photo??
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erginguney View Post
    By the way, is it just me, or is there zero clearance between the fork brace and the front tire on the white one in that photo??
    That's the bike rack, silly.

It's hard loosing a good old bike, but that's certainly an upgrade. The Ys looked silly even in 1997.

mtbr member
    This is full of win.

Glad you were able to turn the situation around into something positive.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fireball_jones View Post
    That's the bike rack, silly.
    Ha! That makes much better sense. I've experienced a senior moment.
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

It's all about the FSR!
    Those 29er's are one hell of an upgrade. A few rides on those, and you will forget about the Trek. Sucks that it was stolen, but look at what came out of it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
    Those 29er's are one hell of an upgrade. A few rides on those, and you will forget about the Trek. Sucks that it was stolen, but look at what came out of it.
    Yep, I am trying to maintain that attitude and keep the thread (and my bike rack) full of win.

(Whoever took my Y-11 may be bleeding in a ditch somewhere already... I'm not a very good mechanic, you see, and had recently installed a new riser handlebar. You steal my bike, you take your life in your hands! Enjoy your test ride, #@&!*.)

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
    (whoever took my y-11 may be bleeding in a ditch somewhere already... I'm not a very good mechanic, you see, and had recently installed a new riser handlebar. You steal my bike, you take your life in your hands! Enjoy your test ride, #@&!*.)
    lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Broke in the 29ers today. It was great! The gap between the Flying Banana and the new Stumpjumper is even wider than I had thought it would be. It's good to be back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    nice story and very nice bikes! I really like the Stumjumper's design