1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: If I can...

Always good times....
    Aug 2008

If I can...

If I can pick up a Shimano Saint RD-M800 Rear DRLR 135mm, for under fifty dollars bran new then should I pick it up as it stands I have a Shimano Acera RD-M340 and I am not happy with it at all it came stock, but not happy with it my question is the Saint RD-M800 something that will last me through a lot?

mtbr member
    Doesn't the Saint derailler require a special hub? I believe that's the case up through 2008. Thus, I do not believe you will be able to just "drop in" a Saint as a replacement for an Acera.

Always good times....
    Aug 2008
    hmm i will look into that thank you...

Always good times....
    Aug 2008
    Shimano FH-RM30L, cassette, 32h, QR this is what I currently have for a rear hub, if anyone could give me a quick answer i would appreciate it.

Ride the dream
    No, you dont want saint (youd need to get alot more than just the mech)

Besides which, its designed to get hit and survive - that makes it heavier than youd need.

An XT or LX would be a better choice - and still a VAST improvement on Acera

mtbr member
    The RD-M800 Saint requires a special hub. They are being blown out super cheap now because nobody wants them, and the new 2009 Saint that about to be released went back to standard mounting.

mtbr member
    If you are looking for a closeout upgrade, here is an LX for $32

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...erailleur.aspx

This derailleur will work with your setup, but it's "Low Normal" which means it will shift backwards from what you currently have.

Always good times....
    Aug 2008
    Oh okay so if I was to want a saint I would have to wait for the 09 version and so on, but I will look at he LX.

Ride the dream
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    If you are looking for a closeout upgrade, here is an LX for $32

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...erailleur.aspx

This derailleur will work with your setup, but it's "Low Normal" which means it will shift backwards from what you currently have.
    This is indeed a very good deal.

You'll also find that the rear mech makes alot more sense that way around - once you get used to it.
    Now if only theyd make a shadow rapidrise...

Always good times....
    Aug 2008
    I guess the real question is would you wait for ther 09 or go with a LX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gijoetx
    Oh okay so if I was to want a saint I would have to wait for the 09 version and so on, but I will look at he LX.
    Actually the '09 version is out:
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/181...Top-Normal.htm

But I wouldn't recommend it for you. Its super beefy for DH and freeriding. Also it won't work too well with a triple chain ring in the front, so you would need to be using a double or single.

If you wanted something beefier for your normal mountain bike I would get the SLX.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/180...Top-Normal.htm

Ride the dream
    Dont go saint - its really not worth it for anything but REALLY heavy use.

To be perfectly honest, SLX is a bit more beefy - but XT/LX are plenty durable enough... For the difference, that money could be spent upgrading elsewhere. If your bike came with a low end drivetrain, theres bound to be plenty of things that would benefit from an upgrade (no offense).

Also - I would jump on that LX mech, the deal is incredible