1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

IBEX Alpine 550 or Gary Fisher Marlin

Hello everybody. This is my first post here. I'm looking for a mountain bike and so far I like Marlin 2009 model (the one in green looks very cool). I read good reviews on Ibex and now I'm torn between these two. There is no way to try Ibex so I was wondering if someone can help me to choose between 2 setups.
    I'm 6'1", 160lbs and like to ride on mountain trails several hours a week. I'm using my friends walmart cheap bike that's way to small for me. I'll need either 20" Ibex or 21" Marlin. I can get Marlin for $600 or ibex for the same amount delivered.
    I'll appreciate any advice.

Here are the specs of both bikes:

GF Marlin http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/marlin

Frame
    Gold Series 6061 T6 aluminum, G2 Geometry, butted DT, cold-forged dropouts & BB

Wheels
    Shimano M65 CenterLock disc hubs, Bontrager Camino rims, 32h

Componentry
    Shimano M531 Deore | Shimano M531 Deore | Shimano M530 Deore | Shimano M442-L, 44s/32s/22s | Avid SD-3, linear pull spring | (Full Specs)

Suspension
    RockShox Dart 2, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown, coil spring w/turnkey lockout, external rebound

Ibex 550 http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-550-Details.html
    Frame:

Double-Butted 6061 Aluminum
    Fork:

Marzocchi MZ Race - 100mm - Lockout
    Shifters:

SRAM X5 Triggers
    Front Derailleur:

SRAM 3.0
    Rear Derailleur:

SRAM X5
    Crankset:

FSA Alpha Drive (42/32/22T)
    Bottom Bracket:

FSA PowerDrive Splined Cartridge
    Cassette:

Shimano HG40-8i (11-34T)
    Chain:

KMC Z8
    Brakes:

Hayes MX-4 Mechanical Disc Brakes
    Levers:
    Hayes HML
    Rims:

WTB SpeedDisc Double-Wall
    Hubs:
    Formula Disc
    Tires:
    WTB VelociRaptor - 26" x 2.10
    Headset:
    Aheadset STS-2K
    Handlebar:
    UNO Alloy - 25mm Rise x 640mm
    Stem:
    UNO 3D Forged Alloy
    Seatpost:
    UNO Microadjust Alloy - 31.6mm dia.
    Saddle:
    WTB Pure V Race
    Pedals:

Wellgo Platform w/ Toe-Clips

The White Jeff W
    I own an '08 Marlin disc and don't care for it. If you plan to ride anything other than fire roads or rail trails plan to upgrade the Dart 2 shock. It sucks. I also don't care for the Genesis geometry. In my experience it makes the front of the bike light & bouncy when climbing.

I replaced the Gary Fisher with an Ibex Asta X9 full suspension bike and couldn't be happier. It's not the hardtail you're looking at but I can vouch for the quality and support of the Ibex brand.

Expect a visit in this thread from Jerk Chicken bashing the Ibex owner and fan base. He'll probably also mention something about the Ibex's being 'catalog frames'. I'll save him the trouble and refer you to some of his 'reviews'.

http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=7042747
    No moss...

Ride the dream
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13
    I replaced the Gary Fisher with an Ibex Asta X9 full suspension bike and couldn't be happier. It's not the hardtail you're looking at but I can vouch for the quality and support of the Ibex brand.

Expect a visit in this thread from Jerk Chicken bashing the Ibex owner and fan base. He'll probably also mention something about the Ibex's being 'catalog frames'. I'll save him the trouble and refer you to some of his 'reviews'.

http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=7042747
    Theres a difference between "bashing the Ibex owner" and pointing out some of his questionable behavior.

Did he, or did he not, throw one of his CUSTOMERS personal details about on this forum during the course of a disagreement?
    Yes, he did - and its a despicable act. If someone does something like this, he fully deserves the bad publicity that (quite rightly) results from it.

Also, Ibex do have SOME catalog frames. The asta I havent seen with another name on it (not to say that there might not be one, I just dont know of it), the atlas I believe was also the exact same frame sold as the "Azonic revenge" - thats a catalog frame, by definition.

For all intents and purposes, they do seem to represent pretty decent value - though there have been certain examples posted on these boards which show pretty awful welding (sorry to the people that own those bikes, but I would have sent them back where they didnt), a trait of poor quality control or a refusal to discard a frame that isnt up to scratch.
    I guess if you get a good one, you should be ok - but what happens if you dont... Im really not sure.

Alot of people make lofty claims about Ibex (and other online brands like motobecane and windsor) which simply are not true. Some of their fans/sellers make claims that simply are not true and it isnt fair to the (potential) customer, who could end up shelling out for something theyve never seen and end up disappointed.

Yes, they seem good value generally. But I wouldnt buy one.

Also - I dont think you give yourself much credability by effectively putting down someones opinion before they even post it - to me that just shows that you know you couldnt beat them legitimately once theyve had chance to post.
    Last edited by EnglishT; 08-07-2008 at 06:29 AM.

Ride the dream
    And as far as the fisher is concerned - Genesis geometry is for sure a personal choice.

Bit of a marmite issue - youll love it or youll hate it.

Geometry in general is a bit like that - some things will feel right from the word go, some things will feel awful and be discounted immediately.. This is an important issue - buying online with no way to test before buying often throws a bit of a risk (unless you truly understand geometry figures and know what would work for you)

mtbr member
    Don't forget, LBS Support is priceless

ESPECIALLY if you're new to the sport!
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thank you for replies. I didn't know that Ibex has so much diverse opinions. As far as geometry of GF - I did like it. I was riding Specialized Hardrock sport and did not care for it that much and if geometry is similar to Ibex then I should definitely go with GF. So, what the geometry of Ibex 550 similar to?

Ride the dream
    Quote Originally Posted by sugawi
    Thank you for replies. I didn't know that Ibex has so much diverse opinions. As far as geometry of GF - I did like it. I was riding Specialized Hardrock sport and did not care for it that much and if geometry is similar to Ibex then I should definitely go with GF. So, what the geometry of Ibex 550 similar to?
    If the GF genesis geometry suits you, go with it.

Value is a temporary high - satisfaction lasts much longer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I went to 4 different bike shops and tried Trek 4500, Marlin '08 and '09, Wahoo, Specialized Hardrock sport and several others (don't remember the names). Out of all bikes I tried GF '09 felt better then others. Something about that G2 geometry. I liked even more '09 Wahoo over '08 Marlin. No internet purchase for me - local shop is the way to go!
    Thanks for advice! Here is my new GF Marlin '09!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    looks like they sharpened the headtube from the 07 models....

its a nice ride. i personally own an 07 fisher with new brakes, wheels, pedals, and fork.
    i for one like the genesis geometry a bit and with a new fork i can slacken it to help me on the DH and increase it on the uphills
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

mtbr member
    I am pretty sure that that bike, in your size is out of stock on the website.,. (the Ibex)