1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I want a bike.....

but I have no idea where to start. There are so many options. I'm just getting into the sport and will more than likely be just riding trails and doing a little jumping and riding with the family for now. I don't want to spend more than $400. My question is does a guy buy a new beginers bike like the specilaized hard rock or rock hopper, or giants yukon and have lower end components or should I look at used bikes with much better componts ie, Gary Fisher big sur with upgrades, Barracuda A2V, or an older giant carbon fiber. Those three have higher end forks, drive train and breaks. I'm thinking they are around 2000-2003 models. Those are alll priced at $400 at the local shop. What would yo do?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    my advice would be to buy it at a LBS...not used. You may pay a bit more and the lower end parts won't make a difference until you start riding/racing a lot and knowing the trails. the reason I suggest a LBS is that you can build a rapport with them and any maint can be done there. Once you start buying used you should also be doing some repairs on your own. You can always get good deals on "last year" model bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The used bikes are at a LBS and have been taken in on trades. Thay have been check over, tuned up, but offer no warranty

mtbr member
    Yea they wouldn't put a used bike out for sale that would potentially fail on a trail big time, that would only be bad for them, so the used ones all def. all trail worthy. Whatever you do, new or used, better components will always allow you to have as positive of an experience as possible, especially being new to it all. Cheaper stuff isn't usually as reliable and the old saying you get what you pay for holds true here. You'll read that in books and certainly hear it from other riders as well.