1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

I think I found the one!

Whats Up!
    Had an lbs give a price on a 2013 stach 7 of $1200. Went back today to ride it again and was kinda hemmin about it when the owner sent me out on a 2013 superfly slx xt group that I think I have fallen in love with!!! Then he drops the price to $1300 out the door! Told him I would call tomorrow and let him know! Gonna ride a stumpjumper tomorrow before I decide.Almost pulled the trigger. Is about $300 more than I wanted to spend but What a bike!SWEEEET!!! Think I will be buying it! Nice for entry level bike!! So that is where I stand on the test rides. Tell me what you guys think.

Thanks
    Bill

29ers Forever
    Go for the Superfly, but that is not an "entry-level bike". Do you mean, a first real mtb?
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If this is the bike you can get for $1,300.00:

2013 Superfly AL Elite - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle

and you like it and it fits, I would say jump on it like a rooster on a bug.

mtbr member
    Both look like solid bikes.... Those seem like good deals as well but I haven't priced out those bikes.

Whatever one feels better get. If it costs a little more it will be well worth it in the future!
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    Highwaystree, I am glad you said that! I rode a Cannondale F29 5. Its a lefty alloy. it is the 2013 and it is $1000 of msrp at $1500. At that I have doubled the origional budget! It is a really sweet bike but I havent really heard much about them. The guys at the shop ride a couple of these. They swear by em but they are trying to sell me one. I think i like the cannondales better than the trek but just don't know if I want to spend $1500 or not. Also rode the trail 29 sl2 which is a really nice ride at $1250. The lefty was really sweet. Just don't know if as a newbie if I can justify the cost. Have been told to get a $600 entry level and beat it to death for a year or so then get a nice bike. Still haven't ruled out the Superfly but hey just don't know???

Well Could use some advice!
    Thanks
    Bill
    Last edited by fishboy316; 01-18-2014 at 04:32 AM. Reason: fat finger

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Superfly will work as an entry level bike and as your intermediate bike. You will develop good skills fast. Don't worry. You'll find things to change as you get better. But it won't be the bike for two seasons or so. That saves you more money in the long run.

FKA Malibu412
    Advice: get one of the better bikes, rather than the $600 entry-level bike. If you enjoy the sport, it will last you years, not one or two. If you don't and decide to sell, the better quality bikes have better resale potential.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    I guess That is true.What guys you guys think about the lefty? If I spend $1300 what the hell,might as well go the $1500!Wish I could go on the dirt with the lefty. I did jump some 10" curbs and ride a ditch and that felt good. Guess i start with ride the Superfly again and go from there!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Lefty is usually somewhat lightweight, but not crazy lightweight. Has it's pros and cons IMHO. I've never ridden one and thought "wow, that was plush." They do steer pretty precisely. If you need to take the front wheel off to transport the bike, it's not a 'quick release' type system. If you ride with tubes, you don't need to remove the front wheel to change a tube. Stem selection is more. . . . limited. Wheel selection is not as common as 'regular' wheels.

mtbr member
    I could never ride a lefty because my OCD just won't allow it, haha. Looking down and seeing one fork freaks me out!

Honestly what ever bike feels the best to you I would get. I would avoid the $600 intermediate bike if you can afford something better. If you really get into it spending the money up front will save you ( At least temporarily) from upgrading the parts.

I made this mistake two bikes ago. Had a chance to go one model up for only a couple more hundred $$ but decided against it. Within the year I put more then double that amount specing it to the higher model. Just some good for thought.
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwaystreets View Post
    I could never ride a lefty because my OCD just won't allow it, haha. Looking down and seeing one fork freaks me out!
    Yeah me too! Seen them in the shop and they just look plain wrong!

To the OP I thought you found 'the one'? I recommend you go with your first impression and get the Superfly. Great bike!