1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

I suck at riding thru stone walls

Rode a place today that has stone walls throughout the entire park, and the trails wind and weave between them. I normally don't encounter obstacles like that on my regular rides, and I definitely struggled with how to handle them. The stone wall would be separated with scattered sharp boulders between the 2 sections. Rocks of all different sizes. Some walls were on inclines, some on descents. Some had no place to fit your tire thru so you had to ride up and over and hope you made it. Trees and other rocks all over so if you wipe out/bail you were in trouble. Really easy to bash your crankset and pedals. I tried a couple and made them but there were at least a 1/2 dozen I just couldn't figure out. I'll have to go back and evaluate each one again to see where I might be able to make it. But, today I just pussed out and walked over some of them, as I was by myself and didn't want to get mangled in the middle of the woods.

Anyways, I'm going to need to practice that skill set.

Tips?

backwoods and backwards
    Leg armor is AWSOME when you are learning this stuff...it'll save you a pound of skin and a pint of blood before you're done.

As for technique... you have to hit the obstacle like you mean it. Enough speed to carry you over the top, level out your cranks as you go. You'll want to pull up/back on the bars as the front hits the rocks, stay centered as you hit the crest, and then shift yourself back( which pushes the bike forward) as the back wheel comes over the top. Practice this kind of movement over the bike on small stuff where you're pretty confident. After a couple of trys you'll start to really feel how YOU are in controll (you'll almost feel like you are lifting the front of the bike onto nd pushing the bike over the rocks).
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Leg armor would have been nice. I was also riding clipless pedals, which I think might help once I get a grip on the technique needed to master these. I think next time I'll ride there in with platform pedals and shin guards,knees pads, elbow pads.
    The hardest part was not just the walls themselves but the placement of the walls too. You'd have a short steep climb and then you'd encounter the wall section, so it was hard to build up any speed. Or conversely, you'd come to section of wall, you get enough speed to clear it and on the other side of the wall would be a steep drop off to a sharp corner with more rocks. I might have to just watch some people ride through and see how they do it.
    Anyways, just a reality check to keep me in line and make me realize there are always more skills I need to work on.

backwoods and backwards
    Hanging with someone who rides better than you is the easiest way to learn...just don't get pressured into riding something that you just aren't ready for. It's a progression.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    I would agree Mojo. I am actually decent at riding, I just never tend to encounter these types of obstacles, so it threw me off.

I never get pressured into riding anything. If I need to to walk a difficult/dangerous section I have no shame I'm 45 years old now and have been riding for 20 years. I'd rather be able to ride tomorrow than crash and burn in a blaze of glory.

I really should make a list of all of the skills I still suck at and then try to practice them. Never to late for an old dog to learn new tricks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by SundayRiverRider View Post
    Rode a place today that has stone walls throughout the entire park, and the trails wind and weave between them. I normally don't encounter obstacles like that on my regular rides, and I definitely struggled with how to handle them. The stone wall would be separated with scattered sharp boulders between the 2 sections. Rocks of all different sizes. Some walls were on inclines, some on descents. Some had no place to fit your tire thru so you had to ride up and over and hope you made it. Trees and other rocks all over so if you wipe out/bail you were in trouble. Really easy to bash your crankset and pedals. I tried a couple and made them but there were at least a 1/2 dozen I just couldn't figure out. I'll have to go back and evaluate each one again to see where I might be able to make it. But, today I just pussed out and walked over some of them, as I was by myself and didn't want to get mangled in the middle of the woods.

Anyways, I'm going to need to practice that skill set.

Tips?
    Sounds like a hell of a trail/run.
    where is the location?
    any pix to upload?
    would be nice to see this beast...
    lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Most people do :/