1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

I ride my son's $100 20inch full suspension bike, help

Hello all, great site.
    I am here to learn and get some same advice great advice.

I am very interested to get in to this hobby.
    I weight 185 lbs 5'11. best i can do is jump about 2 feet with bmx (with jump stand...) and I don't have a bike for me.

I have 3 boys and I enjoy riding son's bmx and 20 inch mountain(?) bikes (if you call it a bike...), now they want to explorer longer rides so i need bike for my self. I wasn't highly active person but kids makes me do active things everyday and kinda like it.

I've been into couple hobbies like golf, RC trucks & Heli and fishing but this bike thing is the most expensive to 'start with'. just like my previous hobbies, i am looking in to entry level gear to start with. I know every new comers asked same questions so many times so there are good information about choosing a bike but still it is very hard to find with $300. Just like other hobbies, my budget will grow later years but I am limited $300 to start with.

Couple questions...

I know a lot of forum member says $300 isn't a true bike, do i have better option other than BD at $300 range? if so can someone provide brand and model? I am trying to follow the path with 'wallmt, targt aren't the best bang for the buck"

I ride my son's 20 mtn bike and it rolls fine on the road but if i go in to other area i just can't paddle, i think because its the full suspension designed for kid that can't take my weight...so it goes same with adult size bikes right?

I live in southern California, Orange County area. Here is the place i would like to start with and see if i can take my 9 year old with me.
    Fullerton Loop Bike Trail - Fullerton, CA

I tried used at craigslist but no luck. everything is out of my budget and i don't know anything about the bike's condition.

again...I am just looking for $300 'best bang for the buck' to see if I and my children can fit in to this hobby.

or should i just forget it about it because it costs gang and I have 3 boys...

sorry for the same old questions...
    Remy

T.W.O.
    Fully loop is a great place for you to start and you can still enjoy the place for years to come. I'd try looking for used bike from Craigslist again and look for big brands like Giant, Cannondale, Specialized, Trek, Kona, look for hardtail from 2003-2012 models. Be patient, it does not come to you right away but the right bike will. If you want it now it would be premium price, or mediocre ones. give yourself a few weeks for this.

Check out what hardtail models available and post your finding here, many would help you out. There are also plenty of brand new ones that's close to your budget from wheelworld.Front-Suspension - Wheel World Bike Shops - Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Bicycle Parts and Accessories. Parts & Bike Closeouts!

I'd also check out some of the lbs in your area I know a few of the Giant's dealer would offer a lifetime tune up, which is a great cushion til you can get your own tools and wrenching skills going.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Novaro Matador 29er
    This could go for $300.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thank you, i will try craigslist again... guess i have to chase my little ones with scooter... i kick with my right leg when i ride my son's scooter. my only right a$$ getting shaped, not good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Novaro Matador 29er
    This could go for $300.
    Are you selling this? and would let it go for $300?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Still looking at craigslist...
    budget went up to 700, didn't drink, skipped a golf rounding.
    from other member's advice and just like any other hobby, I will buy used...so i can sell them back with little loss if it doesn't fit me after investing some time with it.

so many brands, decided to go with specialized brand at the moment.
    only thing i can compare price is main website's current model msrp.
    are these at fair price?

mountain bike

SPECIALIZED Rockhopper comp 19"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You need to make sure that you are buying the right size bike,I know you have been riding the kids bike but getting the right size bike is important.Would you try and wear the kids shoes? Go to some shops and test ride bikes ,find out about demo days,borrow friends bikes. Some shops have used bikes or sell then on consignment.

Level 5 Rider!
    Sometimes bike shops sell last years models at cheaper than used prices. I found this was consistently the case around my area. I ended up buying a bike new, but thats just cause I wanted a new bike and the used "deals" in the area were rip offs. Make sure you try some bikes out as even bikes that fit you may feel right or wrong. I tried out a few bikes when I bought mine and even though both were adjusted for my height one felt aweful and the other felt good.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Closest bike shop only carried specialized brands. no used. didn't want to bug them to try out their spankin new ones and buy it from others.

I will go again and ask them if they carry prior models.

I would like to help the local too but store owner didn't have interest on sales or didn't want to push customers for sales.

thanks for advice, will follow.

RC

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    As a noob (I am one too), you may want to look at Performance Bikes or REI, if they are in your area. Both have a 100% satisfaction guarantee and I know from experience, Performance will take your bike back (in exchange) and issue full credit if it doesnt work out. Again as a noob that piece of mind was very good for me, lifetime adjustments too. I picked up my first bike from Performance and as I got a little more knowledge (not alot, a little) I felt way more confortable looking at Craigslist for my second bike.

Jimbo

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yeah... I know REI has the best store policy. I still can't understand their business logic... maybe their price is highly marked-up or they are 200% confident on their product lines...or maybe not many people take advantage on their policy but i saw one guy returning stinkin worn out shoes for store credit...wtf...
    should i return all camping gears for a bike?

I want a bike now!!!!!
    have a great day

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    still looking at cl and local bike shop.
    local store offered me $740 out the door specialized rockhopper 29er
    also found another used local bike shop that carried 10 used bikes but all of them were too small for me.

how about this? don't know the model year.

Trek Fuel EX6 Mountain Bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Specialized Bicycle Components Son't know if you have a bike but if your limit is $700. this would suit you well. Plus leave some money for some extra's. Of course you could get a 26 inch wheel bike instead for less. Either way you would win. Let us know whats going on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Full Suspension Gravity FSX 2.0

Also they have a more expensive version with better components.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Dont be paralyzed indecision. You wanna ride. At the entry level it won't make to big a difference, so pick one before summers gone. Hahahahaha

Jimbo

mtbr member
    I have a Trek Marlin and its gotten me to fall in love with the sport. Its a good enough bike where it warrants upgrades but will do just fine with whatever you want to throw at it to start out. Definitely set up for pavement and light trails and can be upgraded to a more serious trail bike down the line if you wanted.

I got mine for $620. You can get this years model sized to fit you for under 700. if you can find last years you can get it around or maybe even under 600. Step below that would be the Trek Wahoo even cheaper

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Might be worth checking out Airborne bikes. One of their reps is pretty active in the Airborne forum on MTBR. People that own them tend to be really pleased with them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Finally...

I went with first advice...
    I ended up getting 2012 Carve Expert...1k
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I ride my son's 0 20inch full suspension bike, help-20130720_093646.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thats a nice bike. Like you, I'm into fishing and golf as well. Too bad we couldn't use our bikes on the course, but when I'm not on my boat, I have a cool rod holding system strapped on my bike. Now I can find a fishing spot and bike around while enjoying the two things I like to do a lot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    wow...bike and fishing, never thought about it. i cruise 1~2 hours per day since the day i got my bike but i just can't get enough. also so many bike routes in every city. can't wait to try some up hills and light trails. want to ride!!!!!

mtbr member
    Congratulations on the new scoot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rchoi23 View Post
    I went with first advice...
    I ended up getting 2012 Carve Expert...1k
    Sweet bike and congrats. Lol. I read your first post of $300 budget. I scroll down and see you dropped 1k. I was like what!!