1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

i ride alone....

i kinda feel noob emo cuz i ride alone all the time.....

mtbr member
    Don't feel bad bout riding alone, you might be surprised to see how people ride a lone. I would say I say a little more time riding a lone than i do riding in a group.

If you were emo i don't think you'd be out ridin, now if you happen to cut your wrists on your chainrings...you might be emo.
    "If I am cut, do I not bleed?" -Kane

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Modena
    now if you happen to cut your wrists on your chainrings...you might be emo.
    Haha!

I ride alone most of the time too.

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong about riding solo! It gives me the freedom to ride where and how how fast I want to ride. On the trail I can also try some technical stuff way past my skill level without holding others up.
    Usually there are others on the same trail in case I have an intimate encounter with a mocho tree!
    [SIZE="3"]ON THE TRAIL, WE ARE ALL WARRIORS...AND WARRIORS HAVE SCARS.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Riding Alone - isn't it dangerous?

I always assumed that riding alone would be dangerous. What if you break something and have to get to a hospital? You'll be alone in the woods! Is this an overreaction? I'm a newbie and have few options for riding partners, so I would feel a lot better if the general consensus is that it's totally fine to ride alone.

neutiquam erro
    Quote Originally Posted by emilyjaydawg
    I always assumed that riding alone would be dangerous. What if you break something and have to get to a hospital? You'll be alone in the woods! Is this an overreaction? I'm a newbie and have few options for riding partners, so I would feel a lot better if the general consensus is that it's totally fine to ride alone.
    You raise very valid points. As a beginner, if you are most comfortable in groups, then by all means stick with that. As you comfort level on the bike increases, you'll be more comfortable doing solo rides.

For me, it's all about knowing your own personal limits, knowing the trails you are riding, and having a plan.

For the plan part, I always ride with a cell phone - just make sure you have coverage out on the trails! If in doubt, leave the trail info/location with a friend or family, and a return-no-later time so they can send in the cavalry if you don't check back in. Having a GPS is a great idea too - I always ride with one on unfamiliar trails in case I have to vector in the helicopter

As a new rider, if you don't know the trail well, you risk getting a.) lost or b.) in over your head. So, riding in a group makes does good sense for that.

Know your limits, and perhaps just don't push as hard or go as aggro when you are solo.

I prefer riding solo for the usual reasons - I like doing things at my own pace, and that can vary wildly I don't like waiting around for the inevitably late people to show up for the ride -- that's a ginormous pet-peeve of mine.

Cheers, Chris

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I pack like a Boy Scout - I could quite comfortably survive overnight with all the stuff I have in my hydro pack; including a very comprehensive first aid kit.

mtbr member
    I ride alone most of the time. Then again, I kayak alone, snow ski alone, hike alone...maybe I'm a loner...No, I just don't have too many peeps to go with me. My girlfriend is slowly getting into kayaking and mtn. biking but I really enjoy going it alone. It's a good opportunity to clear my mind and just ride with no distractions. I've gotten hurt several times while riding alone, but thankfully not so bad that I couldn't ride out on my own. I am more cautious when riding alone and I don't go as fast.
    愛友誼秀麗力量激情

Ride Everything
    If you're rockin' the emo haircut and your bangs are in your eyes, it could impair your vision, and you might crash into a tree or somethin'. Be careful out there.

FWIW, I ride mostly solo, too.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    When you ride alone, you must know and stay within your abilities.

Lots of my rides the cellphone goes to analogue and dies long before I get home, I don'teven bother anymore.

I do tell people my route and when to expect my return.

I got by without a cellphone for forty years...anyway take yours.

exacerbated member
    I don’t know if the whole ‘lone wolf’ thing is strictly limited to the western male, or if it is a universal phenomena but it is certainly a large part of my riding MO, probably more so now than ever before. Sure I love to ride with the pack and from my early riding roots there is nothing in the world like the clash and tension of the peloton, but the serenity, solitude and connectedness you feel while alone in the wilderness is one of my very most cherished experiences.
    In a pack of aggressive riders it is always full on, balls to the wall competition. That is great for bonding and establishing the pecking order of the group but intensely focused training is not the best way to experience the grandeur of nature and the nuances of the trail.
    Perhaps this affinity for contemplating the seeming stillness of nature’s escalation is result of my Native heritage or maybe its just me but I do enjoy the communing as much as the journey.

mtbr member
    I end up riding alone about 50% of the time.

Just be sure and take a cell phone, let someone know where you're going and how long you expect to be gone, and take some cash with you.

mtbr member
    At my age I break sh*t just getting on the bike!
    No really…I always carry a cell and a whistle, and try to ride on common trails where others ride. I wear my old dog tags from the Marines, along with a small info card attached for emergences just in case I’m out cold.
    I believe strongly in not trying anything stupid when alone, and it gives me the chance to put a leg down in questionable cases without being joked.
    Just try and understand your limits, and prepare for the worst.
    [SIZE="3"]ON THE TRAIL, WE ARE ALL WARRIORS...AND WARRIORS HAVE SCARS.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I used to ride with a group, then started riding alone, so I brought my head phones and some music. Now I gotta have my music when I ride, its so much better!! I listen to hard rock and gets me pumped!! It allows me to ride longer and harder than without

Plus I can go were I want, no more fighting about whether to take a right or a left!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have always liked road riding alone. A group of roadies just ain't my thing.
    But mtb riding is something else. When it was new, we were all just excited to
    get together to see where that trail went or how fast we could we take that corner.
    When I was racing on a team we always rode together. ( I could go on and on about group dynamics!!) There was a time when my main riding buddy and I spent more time together than we spent with our wifes! And I loved it. We were ultra competative and equels in most forms of riding...but now.....
    I live a long way from any clubs or teams. There is one guy out here who races pro in the edurance events but that is all he does. No job, just ride. I have not nearly the conditioning he has.....
    All that is to say, I ride alone now. I like it, but its not what it used to be.
    I leave maps and arrival times with the wife, My cell doesn't work on the trails out here, but I bring it anyway, I have some ID with me at all times.
    I just know that there will be that day when the wife has to come searching for me, I'm just hoping that it won't be anything major and that she brings an ice cold Fat Tire with her!

Rick

mtbr member
    One of the things that i personally like about riding solo is that it allows me to hone my skills on certainly technical parts. Generally when your out with a group you seem to always keep moving, regardless of how well you managed to clear an obstacle. Compare that to being out by yourself. If you aren't satisfied in how well you managed to clear an obstacle, you can say screw it, and practice clearing that obstacle(s) to your hearts content.
    "If I am cut, do I not bleed?" -Kane

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Most of my riding is solo. Whether I'm out on I80 on my road bike or off in the boonies on my mtn bike. I carry a phone and I am very aware of my surroundings. Often I prefer riding alone, I go at my own speed.. as fast or as slow as I'd like. I don't have to worry about someone else's schedule. It's just me and my bike. I'm quite content like that. I do go on group rides.. boyfriend owns a bike shop, so we both host rides.. so I guess that makes me really value my ME time.
    '07 Marin Rift Zone
    '07 Ridley Orion
    KHS fixed gear
    Jamis Allegro 1.0

mtbr member
    haha i don have emo cut.... i felt emo cuz i always ride alone and never ride w/ group or others... really dont know anybody... ppl dont like how i speak.... sounds like true emo but i really don have friends...... because im japanese and i do stuff ppl think im crazy... like backflip off 7ft to grass... that is called parkour. its another sport i like its good cuz i don need any equipment... i need good shoes tho..... i think lot of ppl started this sport cuz they had friend...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Meditation?

I enjoy riding w/friend and alone. When alone I can concentrate on my pace riding. I use it as the fitness machine and it clears my head. I just ride bike paths/roads for the conditioning. Did a 50mi last Dec 30. I want to do a 100mi in Sept-Oct. My legs are less injured than the rest of me. The quiet time inside my head is a very healthy thing. I walk, but prefer to ride. I'm too old for tricks/risks.

Ricisan

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I ride alone a lot. Mostly cause I don't have a lot of buddies that ride.

I just like being out in the middle of the woods by myself. It calms me down, lets me collect my thoughts.

I like riding with buddies, but all my friends seem to ride worse/slower than me which just makes me mad. I hate waiting. I gotta find some better riding partners.

mtbr member
    yeah.. i think i need a good riding partner... who could teach me ride better.... yet don get mad baout my slowness.... i want try more of drops and stuff so... as a noob that is my goal... but i just cannot let myself wear all those protective gears and ride alone.... i imagine it in my head and it looks soo noobish... but im not doing anything to get those kind of friend so... i cant really say anything..... well i posted this thread!!! ha! that counts!!! even i don get no1 to ride with.... stilll it counts!!!

Vita brevis
    I live pretty far back in the woods and have great trails all around my house. Anyone I know who rides would have to drive a ways to ride with me, so I ride solo a lot. I usually let someone know where I am going to be and carry basic repair and survival gear (cellphones don't work up here), and I don't try to ride really sketchy stuff when I am alone. I spend a lot of time out in the woods as a general thing though, so I am pretty comfortable with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I ride solo a lot as well. Including 30 -35 km in wooded mountains at night - not necessarily in full moon. It is a great fun. You really feel contact with nature - and, I'd say, with yourself. To me it is also matter of convenience - going where I want, when I can and at my own pace.
    As for survival gear, mobile phone is a must, of course. If your area is not well covered, you may follow example of offroad motorcyclists and take 2 phones of different networks. By the way, I always carry a small head light, even if I go out for a ride in the morning......Well, here my English has reached its limit. I mean a flashlight attached to my head, not to the helmet. In case I get stuck with some mechanical problem and the night falls, it is a great help. Same principle is to be applied to all tools - you should know how to do everything with just your 2 hands, as there is no buddy around to hold things for you.
    I have been in pretty ugly situations riding solo. Like being in need to make repairs after crashes - while having my consciousness on/off. The only advice for situation like this is - never panic and never give in.
    The added value of riding alone is the experience and confidence you would never gain otherwise. Anyway, I love solo and am not going to switch to riding in pack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I ride alone a lot, there isn't anything wrong with it although it does getting boring sometimes.

I just started riding again and I haven't ridden seriously in the past 7 years but when I used to ride trails I would bring along repair tools, etc and a small HT (hand transceiver) which is a handheld ham radio with about a 5-10 mile operating distance give or take depending on terrain or even farther if there is a repeater in that radius. The great thing is that if you only use the radio in the event of an emergency you do not need a license as the FCC allows anyone to transmit "Emergency Traffic" in the US.

"I wish my lawn was Emo so it would cut itself"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Double post... sorry.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    when I first started riding a few weeks ago, I was always looking for someone to ride with, my buddies, or just hook up with someone who was out there by themselves....and I just began to notice that the time I was calling everyone up and waiting around for people, I could have been riding and improving my riding skill. Then one magical day, I was invited to ride with a group, and it was definitely not my cup of tea. Some people like it, some people don't.

Most of the time now, when I go ride....I just go. I found it to be more fun, because if you find a spot where it was technical or just fun, you can turn around and go back without having someone moan and groan about it or just worry if someone has only a certain amount of time to be riding...

since I'm still fairly new, and I'm not sure if my pace is faster or slower than what a group would do...I just go out there and ride for fun and hope that I am building better knowledge of the trail, and some more skills before getting into a huge ole group ride...

so don't worry my emo friend....in one way or another as this thread has clearly shown, us mtbr's are all a little emo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast