1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

i pulled a nice bone head maneuver

i just got my bike back from my lbs, i still cant ride from the crash a month ago so i decided to detail my bike and make it shiny again, where i went wrong was wiping the seat post down and striping it of all oil, the same for the seat stay, well the cleaner i was using reacted with the bare aluminum and cold welded the post in place, yea i for got to give it a coat of lube before i put it back, it took over an hour to pry ther post out, and another 30-40 minutes with a dremel and bench grinder to remove the slag,

any one here ever have this happen or is it just me lol ?
    live life like a bullet
    FAST HARD AND GO OUT WITH A BANG

mtbr member
    Damn! What cleaner were you using?
    I've never had that issue, but then again I just stick with Simple Green for most cleaning jobs. If it's really screwed up in there, you might be able to take the frame to a machine shop if you need bore the seat tube, but that's kinda sketchy. Make sure your frame is still in good shape....a weakened frame is not something you want to take chances with.

Cat Herder
    Happened to a guy I knew too who hadn't put some grease on his seatpost. I seem to remember that he had to have the seat tube bored out. Which is scary.
    It's never too late to re-invent the bicycle

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    a lot of chemicals will do that with aluminum ... and most of them are degreasers ...

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Ive heard that if you leave simple green on too long it will damage aluminum & paint
    of course, even dry 2 different metals in contact will fuse, another good reason for a black Thompson post