1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I need some help with first build

My friend helped me build up my hard tail but we have been out of touch and now I'm trying to build up my other frame my self. Any opinions or help would be appreciated. I should know more about my bike but I just got in to riding a couple of years ago and I was the guy who just rode and my buddy told me what to get and what to do.

I have a nice Motobecane Phantom pro full suspension frame, RockShox Reba race fork, and RockShox Monarch rear, a wheel set, a remote set post. And that is all I have. My other bike has decent parts that would fit this frame but I would like to have both the hardtail and the full suspension running.

Anyways, I've been looking for parts that are decent, reasonably priced, and can take a beating, but there are a zillion options for everything and I'm lost. I don't live near a good bike shop so their expertise is out and I don't really know where to start.

mtbr member
    So your building up the Motobecane with the parts you listed?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Those are the only parts I have currently. My friend parted out the rest but I got a good deal on what was left. So that is what I'm starting with, a bare frame with suspension, a seat post and wheel set. I don't have anything else.

mtbr member
    I am actually doing my first build with donor parts so I may not be the best to give advice but I'll try. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. You may want to see if you can find a complete build group on Jenson.com. Something that is going to include your shifters, derailleurs, brakes, and crankset. From what I understand it is cheaper to do it that way. As far as what component group is better than the next it is all pretty relative. Like many say, pretty much everything out there is quality and will work. Do you have a brand that you prefer? If not maybe check different bikes out that have different brands of component groups. Test ride some friends bikes for example. If you find that you like Sram better then Shimano then get Sram component group. I think that most say for Sram anything X7 and above is good. For Shimano LX and above is good. Not to say the other stuff is junk.

Here is an X7 build kit for example.
    SRAM 2012 X.7 Kit-In-A-Box in Tree Fort Bikes Build Kits (cat219)

And here is an XT build kit.
    Shimano XT Kit-In-A-Box MTB Drivetrain

I just looked these up real quick. These may or may not work with your frame. I don't know what BB size you need or what size your seat tube is for the front mech. Is this kind of what your looking for?

EDIT: The best way to know what size BB you have and what size front mech you need is to look up your year and model of bike to find it's spec sheet. Usually they tell you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You ned to start a list of what you need and what kind of riding that you will do.To start you need a drive train ,shifters, deraiuers,cranks ,chain. You need Brake levers and calipers. Bars ,stem ,seat.Headset,bottom bracket ,cables and housing.Pedals,grips and maybe more . All of those parts are going to add up .one of the kits from some where is the way to go.

mtbr member
    I went through the same thing last year. I bought a frame and never built a bike before in my life. I would spend a lot of time on Motobecane thread to find out what components other people are using. Also it would be a great place to ask questions as others have the same frame as you. I bought all my components on sale by using google product search and checking all the time on the big internet stores like Jensen,CRC,Pricepoint.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For the build I am doing I got SLX brakes, Shadow plus rear, cranks. XT shifters, cassette(larger carrier) and front derailleur(had). Easton Haven carbon bars
    Bluesky and Jenson are some sources.
    Uno stem off ebay.
    Ergon grips.

mtbr member
    There is a seller on Ebay that is selling a complete SRAM X5 kit for under $400 shipped from China so you'd have to wait around 2-3 weeks to get it. The kit includes shifters, front derailleur, rear derailleur, cassette, chain, crankset and bottom bracket in a 3x10 set up. Same seller has an X7 kit for $420.00 minus the chain. Not bad prices at all and a quick way to get everything at once.

Jenson is a nice place to shop since they have a lot of OE stuff.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    You might consider buying another complete hardtail from Bikesdirect, and just selling the frame, fork and wheels after you use what you need. The Fantom Elite looks like it has decent parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That is all good advice. I wasn't sure whether a build kit is a good deal or not since I have never bought so many parts. I ride a lot of cross country and attempt some more rugged terrain. When it comes to cassettes is there a lot of difference between what is available or is that a part that as long as it fits and has the number of cogs I want, it will work?
    It didn't cross my mind to see what OE was on the bike. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Since this is going to be a full suspension rig I'd imagine you are going to get into more gnarly techy stuff. You need to decide on SRAM or Shimano for your derailleur/shifters. Lots of info on this site as to why people like one more than the other. I like Shimano when it comes to my aggressive trails bikes and SRAM for my light XC/trainer. Don't over think the bottom bracket or headset. Get yourself a decent set of cranks, stem, seat-post and saddle. Several good choices for brakes and you can color coordinate your shifter cables to other parts if you fancy that kind thing. Handlebars and grips and I think you're done.

Sounds easier than it really is because of the amount of choices out there.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

Fat-tired Roadie
    I've looked at prices some, and I think build kits are very competitive. So I'd look for as much as possible that way.

parktool.com has great instructions for everything.

Use a build list from elsewhere as a template to make sure you're not forgetting anything.

I'm a bit of a Shimano fanboy, but my current bike was available only in SRAM and I don't care enough to have bought it as a bare frame. So in your shoes, I'd probably buy a Shimano kit unless the swing in price failed my gut check.

Good luck!
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx