1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

I need a new bike

Hey guys, I've been riding for a few years on and off, and I need a new bike. My budget is about 400-500, and I'm 6'2. I want disc brakes, and I need something for trails and riding to class. Thanks

It's all about the FSR!
    I think that the general consensus is if you want to buy new, definitely check out the Specialized Hardrock. This seems to be a pretty good entry level bike, and will definitely get the job done for you.

mtbr member
    Bought my wife a leftover GT Peace Niner for under a Fin... 29er, Disc, Gears if you want'em. great rig.

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    check out Gary Fisher bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Felt Nine

mtbr member
    OP im in the same boat as you. for $520 you can get a specialized hardrock with disc brakes. another key feature on the hardrock vs other brands at the same price range is double wall rims.

good luck in your search. i found the S HR to be the best bang for your buck via reviews and research on this forum.
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

Nickel Havr
    I'd save a little more and go for a Giant Yukon... Full suspension and disc brakes! You also get better components and you won't outgrow the bike...
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckstream1 View Post
    I'd save a little more and go for a Giant Yukon... Full suspension and disc brakes! You also get better components and you won't outgrow the bike...
    that's twice the OP's budget. Not to mention there are many more options in that price range.

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    that's twice the OP's budget. Not to mention there are many more options in that price range.
    It's just what I would do...

I was at my LBS and spotted a Yukon new for $750... Thats a lot of bike for $750
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    $750, thats a different story

still out of price range but one heckuva deal for sure man.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    what are some other options other than the HR in that budget? I read you'd be better off going with a 2nd tier brand as the components would be better as opposed to the frame. something from jamis maybe?

mtbr member
    Well I would go visit your lbs and see what they got, heck you can even check craigslist and check to see if anyone is selling their bike, sometimes you can get a good deal.

Sent from my Droid
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.