1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I need help replacing parts on my k2 zed 3.0

This is what I have...

DRIVETRAIN

Shifters - Shimano Deore Rapidfire Plus
    Front Derailleur - Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur - Shimano Deore
    Crank - Truvativ Isoflow, 22/32/44T
    Cassette - SunRace, 11-32T
    Bottom Bracket - Sealed Cartridge
    Chain - KMC Z9000
    WHEELS
    Rims - Ritchey double-wall
    Hubs - Ritchey, 32 black stainless spokes per wheel
    Tires - WTB Mutano velociraptor 26x2.1"
    FRAME SET
    Frame - Reflex Mountain, 7005 aluminum, replaceable hanger and disc brake mount
    Fork-Front Suspension - 80 mm travel, with adjustable preload, aluminum crown and lowers
    Headset - 1-1/8" threadless
    COMPONENTS
    Saddle - WTB Speed V Sport
    Seatpost - Aluminum microadjust, 350 mm
    Stem - Ritchey
    Brake Levers - Tektro RS-360
    Brakes - Tektro
    Name:  3re3Jb3N25r15q85tdd771d6fc85c12541403.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  48.4 KB
    And i would like to completely redo the brakes and shifters. as well as both derailleurs. any help would be nice thankyou in advance

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I would also like to know how easy it would be to get pedals with shoe clips ans what kind I should get

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Matt - for what it would cost you to upgrade all the stuff you want, you would very likely be better off purchasing an entire used bike that already has the parts you want on it.

What are you hoping to spend total?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    ^I agree - abort the upgrades and go with a newer, lighter bike. I came to that realization halfway reading through your upgrade list. Better money spent. You'll get decent coin Craigslisting your K2, due to the condition it's in($200?).
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: I need help replacing parts on my k2 zed 3.0

Id just ride it as is. If things aren't operating smoothly, it prob needs maintenance

Fat-tired Roadie
    OP, the metal parts of V-brakes are pretty hard to screw up. I don't think you'd see a lot of improvement replacing the original Tektro parts unless something is screwed up.

The brake pads do matter, however. Get some Kool Stop Salmon (or you may have to do mixed compound, that's fine too) pads and be happy. They also need to be installed correctly. There are instructions around the 'net.

If your brake cable housings are messed up, it'll hurt the performance of your brakes. You'd be able to tell visually, but you may need to look closely.

You have nice shifters and derailleurs, so the same stuff applies - make sure there's no damage, make sure the housings are in good shape, do a tuneup.

I like parktool.com for clear, well-photographed instructions for pretty much everything. If your chain, cassette or chain rings are worn out, your bike will shift like ass. So make sure that's not the case before you get started.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Why do you feel you need to replace components? What issues ae you having?