1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

I need a bike but dont know what to buy

1st off I want to thank you for your site and the time to help a newbie.

Im 35yrs old and in pretty good shape.
    I use to ride when i was 18yrs old and not since. I switched to atvs so i know the value of good equipment. Living in florida we have more sand than rocks and more flat ground than mountains so what type of a bike am i looking for. We have a few sweet trail systems in my area and i am looking to have some fun while getting back some of the cardio that i have lost with age.

With the economy like it is I dont have the money that i am use to having so i would like to know what is the best bang for the buck that is upgradeable as the money is available. I want full suspension, I am 5' 10" 170lbs. New or used does not matter as long as it is in good shape. $500 T0 $600 is all i can really afford right now.

Thanks again for your help

mtbr member
    Hey Dreth-

One thing that comes to mind for me is, why do you want a full suspension bike for Florida? That state is as flat as they come. If I lived there, I think I'd be more inclined to go with a hardtail- as I think it'd be way more efficient and appropriate for the terrain down there. Unless of course you plan on moving.

For the price range you're looking at, I'd check out used bikes perhaps. You could probably find a pretty sweet ride in good shape for that money, used.
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

Hoosier
    Yes, if you would be willing to go HT you will be able to get a new entry-level or used mid-range bike for that price. If you really want to go full suspension you might be able to pick up a used entry-level bike for that price range.
    SS is like beer...its an acquired taste.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Bear
    Hey Dreth-

One thing that comes to mind for me is, why do you want a full suspension bike for Florida? That state is as flat as they come. If I lived there, I think I'd be more inclined to go with a hardtail- as I think it'd be way more efficient and appropriate for the terrain down there. Unless of course you plan on moving.

For the price range you're looking at, I'd check out used bikes perhaps. You could probably find a pretty sweet ride in good shape for that money, used.

I do plan on moving and I do take trips up north pretty often so I feel that it would be better in the long run. Thanks for the advice

MTBR Member
    Only problem with going used, being new to this, is knowing what to watch out for. If you do go that route bring an experienced friend or have a shop check it out. I think for right now a HT may be your best bet. Then later on you can sell it and pick up what you want.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Be careful on Craigslist. Most of the people on there want to sell their 5 year old bike for 10% less than what they bought it for new because they only put 10 miles on it and lost interest in the sport.

Consider a Forge MTB. There's a huge thread on the Sawback 5xx hardtail. They have a FS, too, but it's not a good a value because the component level isn't as good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreth
    I want full suspension, I am 5' 10" 170lbs. New or used does not matter as long as it is in good shape. $500 T0 $600 is all i can really afford right now.
    You really can't get a quality FS bike for that price range. So your only option is used, unless you want to save up and buy new later.

Fisher Fan
    Sep 2008
    I'd recommend a HT at that price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    So get a hard tail with front suspension?

I wont buy anything unless i can sit on it and ride it first so thanks for the heads up .

mtbr member
    Look around at your local LBS this is the time of year for closeout specials.
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    stick with the hardtail, check out the fisher bikes, tarpon or wahoo

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I check my new post.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    You can get a new 2008 Cannondale F7 Disc hardtail, for under $600. I guarantee you will love the bike enough to upgrade parts- which the F7 is great for. For another $150 more- you can get the 2008 Cannondale F4 Disc HT, with the super-light, SWEET Headshok fork.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"