1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

I made upgrades to the Univega

Well i found some beefier rims and a better fork. The rims are Quando. They say high performance hubs. Maybe there is a review on them. no clue what the shocks are. I think this is from higher end wal mart bike. the rims are like 5 steps up from my old ones. it is like night and day. the shocks feel like they need to be tightened up a bit. they have alen heads at the bottom of the shocks. i have no clue how to adjust them. these too are a much better than my old rock shocks. the treads are ten times better also. some asian brand. chao yang. they are weathered a little but pretty solid overall.

also the rear sprocket cassette is much smaller than my previous one. i will see how it goes. i will be testing it out on some trails hopefully this afternoon sometime. cant wait to try it out.

this was my old setup

Yes, that's fonetic
    You may be able to swap cassettes with your old wheel if you need lower gears.

I can't imagine any fork (not "shocks") "from higher end wal mart bike" being better than even the lowest model from Rockshox. The allen screws on the bottom of the lowers are probably to set pre load and won't "tighten" anything. If there's slop the bushings are shot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    You may be able to swap cassettes with your old wheel if you need lower gears.

I can't imagine any fork (not "shocks") "from higher end wal mart bike" being better than even the lowest model from Rockshox. The allen screws on the bottom of the lowers are probably to set pre load and won't "tighten" anything. If there's slop the bushings are shot.
    yeah that it what i was afraid of. maybe i will go back to the rock shocks. i thought they may have just been adjustable. the tires will be great though. i have some push button shifters too. putting the fork and tires on already got me mad enough so i will leave that for another day

What could go wrong ...
    looking at the wear on the stanchions I would say the bushings and seals on that "upgraded" fork are shot and the allen keys at the bottom are what is holding the fork together
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    yeah i threw the Rock Shocks back on they were still way better. its amazing that 14 year old rock shocks are still better than 6 to 8 year old off brand ones.

i went for a ride. man these rims and tires are waaaay better. handling is much better. i greased up the Rock Shocks too. they were moving a lot smoother. i am pleased with the cassette change too. i like the smaller one better actually. the smallest cog on the cassette is bigger than my old one. the old cassette was always way too hard to pedal from stop in the smallest cog. i hates that. now i just need a real suspension fork

mtbr member
    well before the suspension fork i need a helmet that is coming next week hopefully.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    are those disc rims? with the rim brake? i see the paint wearing off on the back i think.. what fork do you have now, you might be able to just take it apart and clean it, put some new oil in and throw it back together. the walmart fork's not gonna do you any good.