1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

New question here. I kneed help with trail building PLAESE

Hi everybody.
    I live very close to a forest.I live in Croatia and there isnt any trails near by so i started to build my own.I have 5 ramps for now and not mutch more.My forest is very unusual.I would like to build a freeride/dh/am trail.I cant really build a dh trail because my forest isnt downhill it goes a bit a up and a bit down and theres a stream across my place were iam planning to build on.I will put some pics of the place maybe that will help.Its really hard to dig because theres lots of small rutes.Any idease of what i should build?

mtbr member
    there is a whole forum for this kind of discussion- Trail Building and Advocacy

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks very mutch!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Talk to your forest recreation planner and watch the video pedal driven a bikeumentary. Additionally, if you have some coin, pick up IMBA's guide to building sweet single track. This wont teach you about jumps, but it will teach you about sustainable trail buidling, and if you want muscle, equipment and money, start the project with a local club or shop in colaboration witht he local BLM or USFS manager. They can utilize grants, money and expertise with partners like Alpine Trails (park city, utah) and IMBA, so that your trail will last, hold up to the weather and provide the experience that you want. The one drawback, you have to be vested, and it takes time.

I am assuming that you have permission on the land you've chosen such that you won't get in trouble for building there, and visitors won't get in trouble for riding there?

Doing it right will take time. Don't rush it, or it will turn out terribly. Constructed obstacles are the most difficult to get right. And they are expensive. Build your trail while keeping in mind the types of obstacles you want and where you want them. Find plans for good quality ones, and use solid materials that will last (not half rotten stuff that will be powder in short order). Unless there are cool rock formations in place already that you can use without a lot of work, build the trail first and come back later to get the obstacles so you can take your time on them and get them just right to fit with your trail.

Chances are, you are going to need more bodies eventually. I started a trail on my own many years ago, because people doubted my ability to get it done. But because I was dedicated and worked hard on it, I eventually was able to build up a core group of volunteers, started a club, and turned a 1 mile segment of singletrack into a 12 mile trail network.

Doing your project in phases will probably help you stay sane. You can build off of each phase for the next one, but still have something to ride while the next phase is under construction.