1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013

I just got financed, should I pull the trigger?

I just got approved to finance the Specialized Camber 29er.

I'm riding this:

And fell in love with this:

It is $1900 at my LBS. I have weighed the pros and cons on buying a new bike.

Cons: I pay $500 a month for 4 months. But I am working like crazy so it shouldnt make too much of a dent in my savings.

Pros: I get a new bike that is red. FSR. And I can feel confident if I crash it isn't at the fault of the bike.

As for my current bike. Pros: I save $2,000 until the summer of 2014. Cons: I could get hurt again and maybe not be as lucky next time. I keep a bike that has 2 gears and duct tape all over it.

I test rode the Camber and it was like a world of difference. It felt like it was made for me. Even though in bike land 2k is cheap, I have never financed anything or bought anything that expensive at once. My drum kit is worth about that much, but that was upgrading over time.

I would like the oppinions of the bike gurus here if spending 2 grand on a bike is justified.

~kevin~

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    is it 0% interest, or are you paying interest on it? if that 1900 includes interest, wait until you can pay cash for it. borrowing money to buy things you can't afford is never a good practice to get in to and nearly everyone i know who borrowed $ to buy stuff aside from a house or car, regrets it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    If I pay it off in under 6 months 0% interest

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't finance bikes ,and I have spent more than that on bikes. If you can pay 500$ a month on a payment ,you could save that much and have a bike by the end of summer. That's a big upgrade and a nice bike compared to what you are riding. If you ride it and have fun with it it's justified ,in the end only you can decide if you want to spend your money on .

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I mean I could drop the $2k now and buy it outright, but it would make a huge dent in my savings. Say in August my alternator goes on my car (worst case senario) I'd be scrambling to to get payment. I can handle 500 a month and not have that hurt my savings. And I would be riding all summer. So in that respect it is justified.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You can "justify" spending assine amounts of money on anything in life. Those bikes out there that cost $5k+ make my eyes big, I could buy a used motorcycle for that price. As far as financing vs buying out right, that is another debate. Some will say pay for your toys in cash, some will say financing isn't bad if you are smart with it. If you can get good terms and the rate is good, I say screw it, go for it, pending all of your other financials are in line.

Before you buy, just make sure you will actually ride it and it won't end up on Craigslist in a year or two with that "I just don't ride enough" description....

Life is short and you can't take any money or material possessions with you. YOLO responsibly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I feel for you. I rode a crap bikes for three years then upgraded to something in the $2000 ballpark. If you are into the sport, it is a worthwhile expenditure IMO. Take care of it and it will last for years and years.

Borrow money to buy a bike, no way would I recommend that to anyone. But if you have the money in savings and can get free interest and are disciplined, why not? We are big credit card users, just make sure to pay them off in full every month.

DON'T miss a payment or be late with a payment. Read the fine print -- probably if you are late for a payment the whole interest charge is added.

I would feel better if you had another grand or so in savings. Is a bum alternator really the worst-case scenario? (an easy DIY repair BTW). What if the engine blows? What if you wreck it, do you have collision insurance or would you be looking at a new car? Home expenses? Refrigerator quits? Death or illness in the family and need to travel? (Sorry to be so morose, but it happens sorry to say).

Plus it's a good life policy to live below your means and save something every month barring emergencies.

I gather this is the '13 model? Check when the '14s are nearing release and maybe work a deal on the '13.

Anyway, all the best!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    If you already have the money to pay for it outright, than you probably won't have any trouble making payments. And if you'll have it payed off before interest kicks in, you'll be building credit for free. It's a no brainer.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I am extremely diciplined when it comes to $$ I would never miss a payment. The only credit card I own is a Macey's card (I wanted to buy a suit jacket and I saved 20% when I signed up for the card lol) my actual card is a debit/credit. I dont like doing loan type stuff, but It is loan or no bike. Wost case senario is I am dropped from my car insurance. Dont have the best track record when it comes to driving. I live at home and my dad is already dead. I have never missed a payment on my student loans anyway. I have a savings account that is for everything. Wants, needs, emergencies, etc. It is a 2k13 model. I dont know when the 14's r coming out. I'd rather not ever do any loan/installment pay.

I am just wondering if I am playing roulette w/ the bike I have now. Paying $500 a month for 4 months is definitly worth it vs getting injured and not being able to work. I already almost lost 3 teeth cause I went into a tree stump because I lost traction and my back breaks went out.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Alternative: Used.

My MTB was $1750 new. I paid $600 and got extras/upgrades out of it. Little use. In my area, people make too much money, buy high end things brand new, never use them, then list them on Craigslist at deep discount.

Your accident sounds crappy. I know you aren't riding one of those high end, carbon ti-fiber 2oz bikes, but are you sure it is the bike and not the operator? I haven't been MTB long at all, but I've crashed enough motorcycles to know that I can rarely blame the bike

0% for 6 months? I'd probably take that deal though.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The accident was half mine half bike. I was riding in mud and rain= my fault. Breaks going out= bike's fault. As far as going used. I would love to, but I am short and it is hard to find stuff my size. I need a small bike frame. I have the same issue w/ hockey stuff. I have been looking around used for new goalie pads for 2 yrs. Cant find any in my size I like. In rochester. Craiglist is offering walmart bikes or old hardtails.

mtbr member
    Wow, that's alota personal information, maybe tmi
    If you can make your own decisions you're an adult, or is that the other way around?
    Personally, I wouldn't finance a bike. You can always make your best deal with cash in hand. I'd sooner get an awesome used bike for a fraction of that, save and get the other if you still want and have 2.
    It's always better to "fill the stable" than to "pull the trigger" when it comes to bicycles i always say.
    the strongest trees grow on the windiest plains... ~Tone's

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yea, not sure about your area, CL is highly dependent on the area. I am tall and it took me a good 6 months to find something worthwhile used. Again, you could just slow down a bit and chalk it up to learning to read conditions better?

And it is brake. Sorry, just a pet peeve.

Afric Pepperbird
    I say, go for it!

mtbr member
    I f you can afford to pay the 500 a month for it, and not have to pay interest, I say go for it. Why wait for it and not be able to ride all summer?

I hear you about not wanting to take that big a chunk out of savings. I'm pretty much the same way, when it comes down to taking that lump sum out, or making payments on something, I'll go the payment route as long as it's interest free and I know I can afford it.

I did pretty much the same thing you're thinking of doing when I bought my Ridley, except I used a new AmEx card offer I got. 0% for 15months and 30,000 bonus air miles. That basically equates to a free flight.

The people that say save up and pay cash have a valid point, however my philosophy is to enjoy life now (within reason). If I can save up the cash in 6 months, or make all the payments in the same time, why deprive myself of it for that time?

Just be careful not to miss a payment, the interests is always retroactive and I'm sure the rate is astronomical through them.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Paying $500 a month for 4 months is definitly worth it vs getting injured and not being able to work.
    Good point. $2k won't buy much medical care either.

Personally, I think the dangers of cheap bikes are overrated. The better bike would be safer if you rode it the same way, but you're not going to. The new bike will be so much better you're going to push it all that much harder. I've had two significant injuries in the 18 months since I got me new bike, 0 with the Roadmaster and Schwinn in 3 years. Ok, I'm riding a lot more now and I'm admittedly an old guy who bit off more than he can chew :-)

Anyway, it looks like you've thought everything thru well. Sleep on it a few days, and if you still feel good about your decision, go for it!

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: I just got financed, should I pull the trigger?

If you wreck and get effed up, how much will your medical bills be? I think that might be worth the $500 a month, especially if you can afford it. It's also a way to build your credit... Which you'll need down the road. It's a want and a need that won't impact you too much in the wallet. I say go for it. And enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Look on Car-Part.com for an alternator. $75 is usual and put it in yourself.
    You can afford a bike so don't get sucked in to this one bike by an offer you don't even need.
    Here's a review of the carbon version.
    Specialized Camber Comp Carbon 29 Review - BikeRadar

You can and should be looking for the best bike for your money. Ride more bikes.

Bicycle Addict
    You only live once.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates

mtbr member
    work your azz off then buy it. don't take out a loan on a bike. although, if you do pay it off quick that will be a good building block towards building credit. personally, i scrubbed over 3000 plates, pots and pans and mowed lots of lawns to earn the $2400's for the bike I wanted in 1999 ( schwinn 4 banger). so you could go either way i guess. I'm old enough now to know to buy things in cash
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    My $0.02

A few years ago, I was able to afford road bikes for me and my wife, but opted for the in-house financing because I could make big payments........

Housing bubble burst and I stopped making money almost over night and that original $2500 turned into $4500.

I'm sure this won't happen to you, but my philosophy is that if you have the want and the money, pay cash and be done with it!! Life can change quick!!!!
    www.getbusylivin.org

Redline Monocog Flight 29er
    Specialized Rockhopper 26er

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have read a bunch of reviews for the Camber and it sounds like a good bike.I have also read the review already that was stated above. The Comp carbon is waaaaay out of my price range. I have ridden 2 other bikes in my range. One name I dont remember, but it was ok. And a GT Sensor 4.0 It was ok as well, not the right size and it was 1 2012, so they couldnt order a small. There was also a Cannondale in my range, but not in my size.I would go w/ a hardtail because they r cheaper, but I have back issues, so i need an FSR. And also, I YOLO and carpe diem within reason.

Building credit is also a good pt. Thanks GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    A better question here is, is that bike the right choice for you? Why did you pick it, and what other bikes have you tried? Coming from your current bike, anything in the $2k price range is going to feel like a million bucks. You have a lot of options, though, and you would do well to explore them first.

Where are you riding, specifically? (A fellow Rochesterian here). Dryer Road, Tryon, Bay West, Ontario County Park, Whiting Road, Pinnacle, city parks, etc? Help us get an idea of what you're doing, what you like, and what sort of riding you want to be doing a year from now.

Second, Rochester has lots of bike shops. You shouldn't limit yourself to one shop or one brand when you're making this sort of decision. Is there a specific reason you're interested in Spesh? You could get a Trek Fuel EX 5 or a Cannondale RZ120 with better components for the same price.

Why are you looking at a 29er, specifically? If you need a small frame and you're riding in Rochester, big wheels might be a bad idea. A lot of our trails are narrow and twisty. 29ers are harder to maneuver in tight spaces, especially for smaller riders. Especially in your price range, the bigger wheels are going to be heavier (harder to accelerate) and weaker than 26" wheels.

Edit: And when you say you test rode the bikes, you mean in the parking lot, right? Did you get the opportunity to take any of them into the woods?

mtbr member
    Building credit is a great point. Paying cash for everything does nothing for your credit. I've financed plenty of things over the years, and normally have a small CC balance, but being responsible & always paying on time has left me with a credit score over 800.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

AZ
    banned
    Pay cash for toys. Always.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast