Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I have loose wheel bearings up front.

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  wschruba 
#1 ·
Hi, please bear with me as I'm new to mountain biking.

I bought an '07 Haro X7 off craigslist recently and on my second trip out today I noticed my front wheel bearings are pretty sloppy, I get a lot of left to right movement of top of the tire. I can't figure out if the hub has replaceable bearings or not, I haven't taken it apart yet.

The hub's only markings are 'Divit Disc' which returned next to nothing when I searched for it. The front end is a Marchozi Drop-off from 2006 I believe, the front axle is a 20mm.

Do I need to buy a new hub that comes with the bearings?

Thank you for your patience and knowledge.

Erik

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Umm, first make sure that the play is in the hub and not the fork. So when you move the wheel from side to side look to see if the play is at the axle or up in the forks. If it's up in the forks then you'll need to rebuild or replace them. If not, then you'll prolly need new sealed bearings in the hub that I would think should be replacable.

#4 ·
Take off the wheel and make sure the axle is in good shape. Like no groove in it or any visual imperfections. Then you'll know that it's the bearings. I will assume that the bearings are bad.
If so, then have to find a 20mm thru axle bearing set with the same OD as the original set. The bearings should wear before the axle, so I'll assume the axle is fine.

#5 ·
Pop the dust seals off the hub, and you should be able to see/access the bearings. They will have a number/number letter combo (for example: 6006ZZ). You will then go to a bearing supplier with said number in hand, and you will be able to acquire replacements. If you are unsure of doing this, you will need to drive/press/pull the bearings out of the shell and measure the dimensions (inner x outer x width) preferably with a pair of calipers. Your dimensions will be some variation of 20mm x [O.D.] x [Width].

There are a number of threads on here about replacing cartridge bearings, and the procedure is relatively harmless, just make sure you follow the procedure for your type of hub, or you can damage it.

P.S.

Make sure you remove any snap rings that may be retaining the bearing before proceeding, or you can really muck things up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.