1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 62
  1. #26
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    12,324
    ^^^
    Couldn't remember the brand name. But yeah, that. For a while, I think it came with a Dart. (Or maybe I'm thinking of the Target bike.)
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    165
    well I am currently riding a NISHIKI Colorado, I'm assuming it's 15 years old. It's also only a 16" frame, but something on the geometry of this bike kills my wrists. I'm always leaning into the handlebars putting all my weight in my hands.

  3. #28
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    ^^^
    Couldn't remember the brand name. But yeah, that. For a while, I think it came with a Dart. (Or maybe I'm thinking of the Target bike.)
    I did take a cursory glance at the "Northrock" Costco bikes (thought they were $700) 2 or 3 weeks ago. Saw the Suntour fork and went "hmmm...should take a closer...." then the wife whisked me away with a "you have enough bikes in the house already" quip.

    The new ones are dark grey with black branding text instead of white. I should look at them the next time we're there.

    -S

  4. #29
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,872
    What is so hard to understand about 650b?

    It is somewhere between a 26er and 29er.

    Would it help you if we called it a 27-and-halfer?

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mitzikatzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    ............Snip............

    When people don't spend their "real" number, IME they tend to either bolt a lot of expensive crap to their cheap frames...snip....
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

  6. #31
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,766
    Quote Originally Posted by J Hartman View Post
    26, 650B, 29?

    Why do they make this so hard?

    I like the bigger wheels but i haven't found a 29er that is comfortable to me. i'm about 5'9" or 5'10" I can stand over a medium, OR a large frame cannondale Trail 4 29er, but on both occasions i was "rubbing" lightly.

    Any recommendations for a bike that would require less stand over? Or do you think i would be more comfortable on a 650b?
    Why do you like bigger wheel when you are complaining about sluggish handling. That's actually the upside, more stability

    Forget the 650b, til you know more about bikes and components. I'd just get the 26er.

  7. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: telemike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    204

    Another consideration

    We were camping in the lundy canyon campground for a couple of weeks last year. I snake eyed the two tubes I had with me until they were unpatchable. No bike shop in June lake, but the grocery store in Lee Vining had 26" tubes.

    All MTB oriented bike shops will have all three tube sizes, but all MTB trails are not near MTB bike shops.

    Almost all hardware stores will have 26" tubes. Good luck with 650b in Gelach NV etc.

    There's wisdom in buying common stuff. Most LBS will have SPD pedals and cleats, 26" tires and tubes, Avid bb/juicy brake pads, etc. Try getting some Hayes brake pads in Tonapah for riding the Toyabees.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    165
    Yes maybe I'm going to REI to test ride a few over the weekend.

  9. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    We were camping in the lundy canyon campground for a couple of weeks last year. I snake eyed the two tubes I had with me until they were unpatchable. No bike shop in June lake, but the grocery store in Lee Vining had 26" tubes.

    All MTB oriented bike shops will have all three tube sizes, but all MTB trails are not near MTB bike shops.

    Almost all hardware stores will have 26" tubes. Good luck with 650b in Gelach NV etc.

    There's wisdom in buying common stuff. Most LBS will have SPD pedals and cleats, 26" tires and tubes, Avid bb/juicy brake pads, etc. Try getting some Hayes brake pads in Tonapah for riding the Toyabees.
    You're still running tubes?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Why do you like bigger wheel when you are complaining about sluggish handling. That's actually the upside, more stability

    Forget the 650b, til you know more about bikes and components. I'd just get the 26er.
    So what your saying is as a beginner rider automatically choose a 26" bike? Explain please.

  11. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by J Hartman View Post
    So what your saying is as a beginner rider automatically choose a 26" bike? Explain please.
    Let me explain me too, I want to get a bike I will still be happy with 3 years from now. Not just get something, and wish 3 months from now I got something else.

  12. #37
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by J Hartman View Post
    Let me explain me too, I want to get a bike I will still be happy with 3 years from now. Not just get something, and wish 3 months from now I got something else.
    I'm not a fortune teller, but 3 years from now, there will still be be 26" bikes - ranging from crappy ones to really nice ones. There are bikes and there are bikes. Pick the right one and you'll enjoy riding it for a long time.

    We're just saying that you should evaluate what you want to achieve with your mountain biking experience and make your decision from there. Perhaps the best suggestion right now is to figure out your answers to the buyer's guide:

    Noob Buyer's Guide

    -S

  13. #38
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    12,324
    26" tubes should drop right into 650B tires. With a bit more fussing, they'll do for 29er too. Tubes are quite stretchy.

    OP, I get that you're trying to future proof your purchase.

    If I weren't such an internet addict, I'd stay out of these threads. With respect, you're being vague and general. You won't be riding a vague and general bike and you can't buy one either. You'll be riding a specific bike. Don't worry - everyone else starts vague, general threads too.

    Further, while I can't say if you'll be riding a bike you buy tomorrow in three years, I'm very confident that you won't be riding a bike that's simply not available in three years.

    What's your pricepoint? What kind of riding do you want to do? Let's start there. Then you can try some 26" bikes that are actually available in your area for that style of riding, some 29" bikes, and some 650B bikes if they're even available and at the right figure for you. I can promise you that this decision will get a lot easier. Maybe still hard. But much less stumbling around in the dark and much more "Bike A, or Bike B?"
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    26" tubes should drop right into 650B tires. With a bit more fussing, they'll do for 29er too. Tubes are quite stretchy.

    OP, I get that you're trying to future proof your purchase.

    If I weren't such an internet addict, I'd stay out of these threads. With respect, you're being vague and general. You won't be riding a vague and general bike and you can't buy one either. You'll be riding a specific bike. Don't worry - everyone else starts vague, general threads too.

    Further, while I can't say if you'll be riding a bike you buy tomorrow in three years, I'm very confident that you won't be riding a bike that's simply not available in three years.

    What's your pricepoint? What kind of riding do you want to do? Let's start there. Then you can try some 26" bikes that are actually available in your area for that style of riding, some 29" bikes, and some 650B bikes if they're even available and at the right figure for you. I can promise you that this decision will get a lot easier. Maybe still hard. But much less stumbling around in the dark and much more "Bike A, or Bike B?"
    Ok, id like to stay under $1200 on my initial bicycle purchase. I an assuming I ride what's considered xc, but want an able bike for am situation. I was looking at Hard tails, no specific wheel size.

    Early upgrades would most likely be a set of shimano clip less pedals, and a thud buster seat post. ( not 100% on long or short version ). Those would be the two first upgrades within seek or so. Then id like to just ride awhile from there and see where I stand on my equipment and accessories.

    Lbs's in my area include, gt, trek, specialized, felt, cannondale, and Scott. (at least that is what I know of so far)

  15. #40
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by J Hartman View Post
    Ok, id like to stay under $1200 on my initial bicycle purchase. I an assuming I ride what's considered xc, but want an able bike for am situation. I was looking at Hard tails, no specific wheel size.

    Early upgrades would most likely be a set of shimano clip less pedals, and a thud buster seat post. ( not 100% on long or short version ). Those would be the two first upgrades within seek or so. Then id like to just ride awhile from there and see where I stand on my equipment and accessories.

    Lbs's in my area include, gt, trek, specialized, felt, cannondale, and Scott. (at least that is what I know of so far)
    In your situation, I'd look at a "trail bike" like a Stumpjumper or similar. FS would also be great in a trail bike if you want to start tackling mid level AM trails.

    $1200 can get you a pretty nice new bike, or even nicer used bike. I think there's a used o6 or 07 SJ FSR (alloy) in my area for under $1k that just got consigned to one of the local LBS's. Pretty nice bike for the money.

    I'd plug the two Titus Carbon X frames I got right now but I don't think they're right for you (although it'll fit your budget).

    -S

  16. #41
    Cow Clicker
    Reputation: wmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,325
    As Shibiwan suggested, read the Noob Buyer's Guide and answer the questions. it'll help everyone involved.

    The reality is, it is unlikely you will pick the best bike for you out of the gate unless you plan to ride exactly the same way with the same people for the next three years. Most every $1200 bicycle is just as or more capable than the most capable MTB from 15 years ago. Technology is introduced to make things easier, faster and /or more reliable. Depending on you, your friends, how often you plan to ride and the people you ride with, the likelyhood of us helping you without a lot more information is nil.

    For example, if you are really short, throw 29 out the window. If you don't have a 26" bike and would like to get a taste of big wheel riding, throw 650b out the window.

    People have been riding 26" wheels for more than 30 years and most had a lot of fun doing it.

    If I had to make a suggestion right now based on the info provided, I'd say spen <$800 on a bike and $400 on accessories.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

  17. #42
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,766
    Quote Originally Posted by J Hartman View Post
    Ok, id like to stay under $1200 on my initial bicycle purchase. I an assuming I ride what's considered xc, but want an able bike for am situation. I was looking at Hard tails, no specific wheel size.

    Early upgrades would most likely be a set of shimano clip less pedals, and a thud buster seat post. ( not 100% on long or short version ). Those would be the two first upgrades within seek or so. Then id like to just ride awhile from there and see where I stand on my equipment and accessories.

    Lbs's in my area include, gt, trek, specialized, felt, cannondale, and Scott. (at least that is what I know of so far)
    Thud buster why not a full suspension

  18. #43
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Thud buster why not a full suspension
    Good question. No thudbuster; FS + dropper seatpost if you're really serious into AM.

    hee hee.

    -S

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,169
    riding a 26 is more fun than a 29. Industry pushing 29 cuz they want to upsell people bikes. In the olympics, there was agood amount of 26er in top 10 despite industry having bias towards 29. So, 26 is more fun, and just as fast as 29. 650b is too new, don't go that route.

    Buy a used 26 bike. Take advantage of that fact ppl want to try newest greatest.

  20. #45
    WTB 29 allmountain wheels
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    39
    I'm about your height OP and have a 19" 29er. I'd prefer 17.5 or 18 now but I'm comfortable. If the large is too big, try Medium. If you don't like either, try a different bike.

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    riding a 26 is more fun TO ME than a 29. Industry pushing 29 cuz they want to upsell people bikes. In the olympics, there was agood amount of 26er in top 10 despite industry having bias towards 29. So, 26 is more fun TO ME, and just as fast as 29. 650b is too new, don't go that route.

    Buy a used 26 bike. Take advantage of that fact ppl want to try newest greatest.
    Fixed it for you.

    Remember boys and girls, opinions are not facts
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

  22. #47
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,766
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    riding a 26 is more fun than a 29. Industry pushing 29 cuz they want to upsell people bikes. In the olympics, there was agood amount of 26er in top 10 despite industry having bias towards 29. So, 26 is more fun, and just as fast as 29. 650b is too new, don't go that route.

    Buy a used 26 bike. Take advantage of that fact ppl want to try newest greatest.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Fixed it for you.

    Remember boys and girls, opinions are not facts
    Lol,

    I think B13b is right though in general. The 26er is more agile than more stable 29er. Smaller wheels bikes are easier to manual, wheelie, and ok flick around. 29er HT seems to be the choice for racers because they can roll over obstacles found on typical XC race courses without resorting to FS.

    Many beginners like them because they are easier to control especially on the descend, and they don't need to move their body mass much to get good tires traction during braking or cornering. I think the best way I can relate to this is like driving 2 different cars, SUV V.S. Sedan and, 2 different transmission, manual V.S.

    650b is another animal altogether. I don't see many noobs on it, mostly tinkerers and enthusiasts. Most questions posted are more fits, and geometry, and compatibility, something that noobs don't care about.

    I ride all 3 wheel sizes and different frame designs I like them all and I love the choices. However, my go-to bike is a 6.5"-travel-26er

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,684
    I use 26" tubes for my 29" Racing Ralphs. They expand fine and no pinch flats in hundreds of tech trail miles. Many do the same.

    18-20psi front and 20-25 for the rear.






    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    We were camping in the lundy canyon campground for a couple of weeks last year. I snake eyed the two tubes I had with me until they were unpatchable. No bike shop in June lake, but the grocery store in Lee Vining had 26" tubes.

    All MTB oriented bike shops will have all three tube sizes, but all MTB trails are not near MTB bike shops.

    Almost all hardware stores will have 26" tubes. Good luck with 650b in Gelach NV etc.

    .

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mitzikatzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by J Hartman View Post
    Let me explain me too, I want to get a bike I will still be happy with 3 years from now. Not just get something, and wish 3 months from now I got something else.
    After 3 years (if not well before) you will have a much better understanding of your riding style and bikes in general. Buy a bike ride it. Learn from the experience then buy a new bike when the time comes.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    165
    well, i went to another lbs, harpeth bicycles in franklin tn. They were ridiculous. I drove over an hour to check out their line of giant bicycles. and when i get there ( according to internet site they close at 7 ) 5 til 6 they were closing up shop, and turning the lights off, i asked to look at a bike and they said "well if you come back some other time i'd love to show you, but we are closing now." what a joke, I guess they make enough money as is and don't need to sell anymore bikes? bad LBS experience in all, I even stuck around and looked at the bike to see if they would pull it out... That was a big no. So, fail.

    Anyways, I'll go and search some more until i find what I want. I'm sure i'll find something soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •