1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

I have a few questions.....

I came across your site while browsing the different bike markets.

My main questions are:

Do any of you guys do tricks on your bikes? Not as complicated as BMX but some. (i ask because i was a BMX'er.) If so what can be accomplished?

If i wanted a decent bike, but not break the bank what do you recommend? I see alot on here recommend the Specialized Rockhopper.

Without being a "Weight Weenie" what is a decent weight on a MTB? What is considered a tank?

Last........... is there a decent lite bike capable of what im asking that can take a good beating? This would be for trail, street etc... not commuting..

In the meantime I will browse this place!

mtbr member
    Tricks? Yes. I try to do some, but I'm not very good. I used to blame the bike, but then a kid half my height jumped on my XL cross country bike and did a manual for about a quarter mile down a fire road. I was blown away.

If your interest is in stunts and tricks, keep your BMX bike around. While it's possible with a bike like the Rockhopper, it's not the ideal platform for that kind of stuff. If you can, you're the man, but I'd say there are limits with an "all-around" sort of bike....it's going to excel at nothing, but be capable of everything.

A Camry is a great car.
    Can you race it? Sure. Will you win? No.
    Can you haul 3 bales of hay in it? Sure. Can you haul 55? Nope.

ride hard take risks
    Welcome to the forumz!!

Sounds like you need to X-Post over here you'll have allot of fun with riders into the same thing.

http://forums.mtbr.com/urban-dj-park/
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

OnTheTrailAgain
    I have a few questions.....
    Ok, the answer is yes, but I was drunk and it only happened once, and...

What? That wasn't your question?

Nevermind.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull30
    I came across your site while browsing the different bike markets.

My main questions are:

Do any of you guys do tricks on your bikes? Not as complicated as BMX but some. (i ask because i was a BMX'er.) If so what can be accomplished?

If i wanted a decent bike, but not break the bank what do you recommend? I see alot on here recommend the Specialized Rockhopper.

Without being a "Weight Weenie" what is a decent weight on a MTB? What is considered a tank?

Last........... is there a decent lite bike capable of what im asking that can take a good beating? This would be for trail, street etc... not commuting..

In the meantime I will browse this place!
    Seriously though, I've met a lot of former BMX'rs here (including myself).

I ended up getting a good bike for what I want (mostly street riding/Urban Assault, some trail, jump, etc...); Got myself a Gary Fisher Opie which is an entry-level bike at between $425.-$450. new and they have bomb proof frames. I purchased my hardly used/in new condition '07 Opie for $250. Check out my tips on buying used here: Hope for great bike on a budget...

From what I've found, the price increments are as follows:
    Entry-Level Hardtail Bike: $400.+ and double that as you go up the scales ($800. better hardtail, $1200. entry-level full suspension, $1600. next level, $2000+ more serious f/s, etc...). $400. seems to be the magic number.