1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I got clipless pedals on my bike now!

I got a pair of mallet c's and I tried them on with my sandals. they worked fine, so I guess the platform/clipless deal proved ok for me. Then I tried clipless for the first time. I fell twice and got 3 ugly cuts near my heel. Anyways the hard part for me is getting out of the pedals in slow speed. On both occassions I was nearing to a stop and then I was about to get off but I realized that I was still connected. With no speed and balance I toppled over. But I love the feeling of cranking and doing hops. The control really does increase. Anyways I am looking for tips and techinque for improving my clipping in and out. The right heel is pretty easy to clip in, but the left one is harder for me for some reason.

mtbr member
    practice practice practice!
    the more you ride them the more you'll get used to them.
    i dont know if your pedals have a tension adjustment but make sure that they are both the same in case the left one is turned up a little more.

mtbr member
    double post

local trails rider
    Having seen a toe that had gone into the spokes, I will never ride in sandals...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingleside
    practice practice practice!
    For clipping out, I seem to do a big move with big muscles, instead of wrigling my toes.

mtbr member
    make sure the cleat with the 2 dots on it is on your right shoe. it lets it release at 15 degrees. if you have it on the other shoe, then they both release at 20 degrees. i'm pretty sure on that--can check the crank bros website.

also just clip and unclip a ton of times. that's basically what it comes down to. you'll get the hang of it.

mtbr member
    I īve got clipless pedals on my new bike. I īve been riding for the whole week and i like it, I didnī t crash, yet. I really like the pedals, i was pretty sceptic about them but now i canī t ride without them.

Its Tammy! 2 M's and a Y
    I just ordered a pair of mallet c's and can't wait til I get them. What kind of shoes are you using? What kind of shoes is everyone else here using? And what should I look for in a shoe? I was thinking of getting a skate style shoe.

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by mace2
    make sure the cleat with the 2 dots on it is on your right shoe. it lets it release at 15 degrees. if you have it on the other shoe, then they both release at 20 degrees. i'm pretty sure on that--can check the crank bros website.

also just clip and unclip a ton of times. that's basically what it comes down to. you'll get the hang of it.
    mace2 is correct...having the 2 dots cleat on the right shoe will give u an earlier release angle (15 degrees) on both feet

fisherdude4eva - it's all about practice though...find a grassy field and ride while unclipping several times...then do it again and again...some people will set up in a door way and just unclip over and over, that way the door frame is there for support

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by The TamMeeH
    I just ordered a pair of mallet c's and can't wait til I get them. What kind of shoes are you using? What kind of shoes is everyone else here using? And what should I look for in a shoe? I was thinking of getting a skate style shoe.
    i have a pair of mallet m's and am using adidas minrett shoe...shoe works fine for me....they are regular $65 but i think they are on for $30 at nashbar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The TamMeeH

I have mallet c's on my bike, and I have been wearing Shimano M038's with them.
    [SIZE=1]It's a long way to the top, if you wanna rock n' roll...[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yeah, I ride mallet c's also and love the platform aspect, but like fisher i ALWAYS fall to the left when clipped in. Ive been using them for awhile and can usually get in and out well but when i cant, its my left. The two dots are on the right shoe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Yeah, I ride mallet c's also and love the platform aspect, but like fisher i ALWAYS fall to the left when clipped in. Ive been using them for awhile and can usually get in and out well but when i cant, its my left. The two dots are on the right shoe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I use answer Palisades they have two of em and I have the cheaper one. Also, my right foot is harder to get clipped in for some reason. I am going to try a shim tonight. Does anyone know how to install it?