1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

I found this bike in craiglist is it any good for a begginer? motobecane nomade 200fs

Hi guys, so im new to the whole mountain biking thing. I recently tried a bike trail that is about 5 minutes away from my house and i loved it. I was using an old bike with no suspension whatsoever I had stashed from who knows when or where. So now Ive been looking to buy a bike for mountain biking, half road and half trails. But since I am short on cash I want to save up for a bike around a $1000 from bikesdirect. on the meanwhile I was looking through craigslist and found this bike and wanted to see if it would be a good idea to get this bike and give it a little maintenance to hold me for a couple of months and even see if ill stick to biking long enough to drop a grand on a brand new bike.

MOTOBECANE NOMADE 200fs

Also how much should I offer the guy if I were to get it? The place is about an hour from where I live.

mtbr member
    I would buy a better bike. That bike seems more like my wifes cross bike. I know i have seen some cool specialized hardrocks for like 300 bucks. If you buy a little bit better bike you will have more fun hence stick with mountain biking. If you get too of a low level bike youll probrably hate it after a bit because of the ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well I can save another 600 or maybe 700 hundred in two more months so I can get a better bike. I was looking at the 9 iron becane from bikesdirect. The only reason I am considering this bike is if I can get the guy to sell it for like 120 to hold me for a couple of months. otherwise I would propbably just wait a couple months to get the money for the 9 iron. Would it be worth it to buy it or just save the money and wait?

mtbr member
    I would just ride the bike with the rigid fork until you save some cash, and I know how that feels. Getting an old bike like can pose more problems than you'd want. If the fork craps out, then you're out of luck since the parts are near impossible to get. You also don't have to spend $1000 to get a nice bike. For most beginners and people who just like to ride for leisure, $600 could get a decent bike. You may want to look into the Airborne Guardian 2.0 for $599.99. They also have a 6 month no interest payment plan through Paypal and Bill Me Later. You're getting the latest technology including 29" wheels and disc brakes. You'll be on a 3x10 drive train instead of the old 3x7s as well.

Airborne Bicycles. Guardian 2.0