1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

I finally did it....Trek 6000 was the bike of choice

Well I finally went out and purchased my first MTB - Trek 6000! I went with the Metallic Orange/Metallic Black paint and it looks great! As time and money permits I will slowly start to add better components, but for now I'm having a blast with the new bike. Any suggestions on what to upgrade first with the bike - I'm thinking the front end is probably where I should start then continue from there. Does anyone recommend fenders front or back..maybe both?, What other misc items should I consider with this bike? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Give us an update after you get a few miles on your bike because the 6000 is exactly what I want to get, right now I have a old 1998 Trek 950. What fork did yours come with?and how much did you pay for the bike?

Have Fun

mtbr member
    I spent $615 for the bike. It came with RockShox Dart 1. As for a few miles...I've already done 30 miles in the last day in a half. I ride to work every morning plus on the way home take a few detours to go and explore on some new trails. No crashes to date but almost ran into a moose along my last ride. Interesting scenario that was!

mtbr member
    Keep an eye out for you chain. It was mentioned in another thread that Trek is doing a piss poor job of putting the pins in the chains, and I won't disagree, it took me 2 rides on the trail to break mine. Luckily this a cheap part should you opt to replace it. I chose to put a sram chain on mine, and I've had no probs at all with it, and the powerlink makes maintenance much easier.

The only other part I've managed to break is the screw on the seatclamp (not the seatpost clamp, but the one that keeps the seat attached to the post). I don't know how i bent it (later it broke in half) but I'm not a heavy rider, so i'm guessing just constant abuse. I haven't seen any other threads or posts about breaking this screw so it might just be a limited issue.
    "If I am cut, do I not bleed?" -Kane

There's no app for this.

I'd immediately upgrade

nothing. Just ride it and have fun. Replace what breaks.

Nice bike, enjoy! Jim

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Grats , I just bought the same bike on tuesday. I love the bike mine is the brushed aluminum wanted the orange and metalic but no dealer had one. So far only been able to put about 20 miles on it but I have the next week off. So will be riding as much as possible.

mtbr member
    Great choice, ride it hard.

mtbr member
    Enjoy your new bike. What an awesome feeling!

mtbr member
    Congrats! Enjoy your new ride!

Smarter Than He Looks
    Those are nice bikes...enjoy!

I'm just a few months ahead of you in experience...I'd suggest you wait a little while before upgrading anything. Just ride it and enjoy!

Here's an observation from my experience; take it for what it's worth: since I'm new, I'm pretty hard on my drivetrain. I often find myself in the wrong gear on hills and consequently I'm shifting under load a lot more than I should. My SRAM X5 stuff is standing up to my abuse so far, but I know its taking its toll. Seems like I'm a little bit better each time out....once my skills improve enough I'll probably consider a drivetrain upgrade.

S*it Happens!
    If you are new, I say just ride it for now so you can used to the feeling and after awhile you will have, a better understanding for the bike. That way you can appreciate the upgrades you make.

Oh, Nice bike!

Fred.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How fun, congrats!! I went for a ride early this morning and saw one, really good looking.... See you on the trails.

MTBR Demi-God
    As mentioned by several posters- this is a solid bike for bombing the trails... and does not need any upgrades as of now. If I were you, I would just wait until something breaks, and then upgrade them as needed.

Go out and hit the trails.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."