1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

I feel stupid...BASHGUARDS

Alright guys and girls. I have decided to buy a bashguard for my trek 4300. I ride basically all single track. The problem I am having the reason i feel stupid. Im looking at my crank and third ring and there is SIX bolts. Every bashgurd i see only has four holes. Is this right, or do i need to find a bashguard with six bolt holes? Oh and one more thing are these things hard to put on?

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what you're looking at. There is no such thing as a 6-bolt chainring.
    If your 4300 is stock, you probably have the Suntour crankset

There are only 4 crankbolts (you can remove these with a 4 or 5mm allen wrench). The other silver "spots" are pins for shifting. Nothing to do with chainring or bashgaurd installation.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    At that price range your in the same boat as me (c'dale F7) the cranks are rivited together there for you can't put on a bashgaurd without changing to a crank set that is bolted together. So just use your large cog as one until the teeth bend then replace/upgrade to a better unit, at least that is what I'm doing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ooo...is that what it is. Thanks D-machine