1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

I Broke My First Part!

I guess it was going to happen sooner or later, I finally broke my first part. The stock bars on my 07 Rockhopper Disc are wasted, bent them yesterday. Any suggestions for a good upgrade? I was thinking about going with some Easton or ProTaper bars. Any other good options that are a little cheaper or better quality for the same price? I have been looking at a brand called Race Face but never heard of them before I saw at Jenson USA. I am going to go for a 2" rise to put me a little more upright vs stock 1" rise (well, used to be a 1" rise before a big drop in the trail at serious speed)

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Race Face are canadian..and they make awesome components... no worries about going with any of those... you could also take a look at Syncros... I run their Bulk bars and love them.

Former Bike Wrench
    Easton, Race Face, Titec, Syncros, and Truvativ are all good choices in either aluminum or carbon. Ritchey is also OK in aluminum, but stay away from their carbon stuff (an independent test showed an alarming amount of failues!).

I post too much.
    Answer pro taper are nice, race face is nice too, you could also have a look at titec, I run one and it's very strong, flex free, and pretty light!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Easton, Race Face, Titec, Syncros, and Truvativ are all good choices in either aluminum or carbon. Ritchey is also OK in aluminum, but stay away from their carbon stuff (an independent test showed an alarming amount of failues!).
    the interesting thing is that Ritchey now owns Syncros (although they are managed separately)... I hope that Syncros quality influences Ritchey (and not the otherway around)